Dana and Pride president meet

"So, you think we can get away with paying fighters 2% of the revenue generated?"
<23>

cool travel vid with Sakahibara-san (who founded pride, dream, and rizin) him and Dana have a discussion about mma

my dude man, please provide cliffs below. what's the soup is all about.

They're planning a recreation of the UFC vs Pride with a Chuck vs Rampage and Chuck vs Overeem. More damage! More sadness! No athletic commissions!

Dana is like dude you used to overpay the fighters too much, you should check out the snow I ordered for my driveway, straight from the Himalayas.

Although I suspect the difference was more that in Pride(and K-1) fighters had massive potential for sponsorship/adverts because the exposure was so great. Audiences in excess of 20 million on Fuji TV.

Honestly Dana should welcome Rizin's presense, the UFC I think benefits from an org with decent funding which can bring though talent.

I mean that’s cool. We are here typing in big part because of those two guys. Pride brought me here, personally, but Dana deserves respect, of course.

it's PRIDE month so it's the right thing to do, hopefully they stomped on some down-and-out ppl later

also good to see them meeting on more even footing than last time:
16.jpg

(I tried to find the panel where Sakikabara is literally kneeling at Dana's feet, but most links to this comic are years old and dead, plz tell me someone has a link to the full thing or at least more panels?)

And is it bad that I assumed this would be Dana meeting with some pride parade organizer? Damn WME

PRIDE > ALL

Warriors not business men, and also the rule set was > ALL other promotions as far as realism matters.
You don't do takedown attempts in the street without paying for every failed attempt ( knees, kicks ... ) and soccer kicking a grounded opponent is the 1st thing most do once an opponent is floored in a real fight.
Neither does a ref prevent you from punishing someone with kicks/knees to the dome because you put a hand on the ground after a failed takedown ( or even just because you are rocked )
That rule set also provided us more finishes.

I'm glad I got to follow that magnificient epoch live though.
These are my best MMA memories and the atmosphere was unique back then.

Real " LARGER THAN LIFE " promotion and fighters

Agree. The rules were the best. The judging was also better by miles. They would give the win to the fighter who was trying to finish the fight. We saw alot of Lay and pray fighters lose decisions lol.

I also like the 10 min for round to give grapplers a chance to actual work . 5 min is way to short and hinders grapplers in ufc .

Last edited:
We only get a glimpse of old Pride glory in UFC....and that only happens during wmma fights.

Based on what? Rizin has done an incredible job with social media.

Mikuru Asakura has 2 million youtube subscribers
Kai Asakura has 1 million youtube subscribers
Numerous fights of Kai, Mikuru, Horiguchi, Nasukawa all have millions of youtube views.
They are not that popular in west where most of world's capital lies.

Dana still thinks a ring makes it less exciting? There's WAY more action in a ring!
You also got to try and catch people when they inevitably fall out or push them back in when they lean through the ropes lol.

Ring is nice for a viewing experience, but cage is much better for overall mma imo

Reactions: noc
Back