Dana finds something to throw a tantrum over

Blame Herb. Herb was second guessing himself. He's the one who called the doctor back in after the round had started.

Hardy got to Dean. Herb is shook. Should probably take a few months off to get his fucking head together.

I can understand your point to a degree, but it’s a slippery slope. Other sports have tried to appease the recent trend to take most of the physicality out of their games because of whining pussies (not saying you are one).

In the NFL now, literally any hit that is considered to “hard” gets a flag and sometimes an ejection. Even if they are legal hits, it’s ridiculous. These same hits 10 years ago people didn’t even think twice about. NBA is just as bad as teams just aren’t allowed to play that physical, hard-nosed defense you saw in the 90s and 2000s.

I understand that corners especially probably should know their fighters a bit better and call it when a fighter is clearly done, but I would hate to see mma follow the trend of all the other major sports. I don’t want to see a bunch of early stoppages and suspect doctor stoppages all because they are trying to appease the same people that the nfl and other major sports have.

CTE my dude... MMA's days are numbered for sure.

As more science comes out about this and early detection becomes better these contact sports are going to seen as much more barbaric that they already are.

I can understand your point to a degree, but it’s a slippery slope. Other sports have tried to appease the recent trend to take most of the physicality out of their games because of whining pussies (not saying you are one).

In the NFL now, literally any hit that is considered to “hard” gets a flag and sometimes an ejection. Even if they are legal hits, it’s ridiculous. These same hits 10 years ago people didn’t even think twice about. NBA is just as bad as teams just aren’t allowed to play that physical, hard-nosed defense you saw in the 90s and 2000s.

I understand that corners especially probably should know their fighters a bit better and call it when a fighter is clearly done, but I would hate to see mma follow the trend of all the other major sports. I don’t want to see a bunch of early stoppages and suspect doctor stoppages all because they are trying to appease the same people that the nfl and other major sports have.
The NFL is trying to be safer because it doesn’t want to get sued by players which has already happened and the NBA admitted to wanting more offense because that’s what people want to watch. So in both those cases money, that being said doesn’t hurt being smarter with athletes health as that means longevity in the sport etc.

Im not a big Dana fan, but he's right on this one. What if the whole delay caused Shabazyan to recover and he ended up winning against Brunson? We've seen how a fighter badly hurt during the second round can take advantage of a delay going into the third round and winning, like Romero did against Elliot (and Elliot was so mad about the delay).

Dana said that it's either the doctor stops the fight right then and there, or allow him to continue; and what the doctor shouldn't do is to take too long because it might give the injured fighter even more recovery time, and it's not fair for the fighter on the other end.
He's obviously exaggerating to make a point, but his criticism is valid. When the doctor is called out when the round is starting instead of right when the previous round ends and then takes longer than he should to evaluate, it looks corrupt.
This criticism isn't valid to me when it literally took 13 seconds. If you think that's too slow, you go out there and show all the doctors how's it's done. The whole thing is a non-argument. Dana just needs to STFU for once and accept victory. Everything went pretty well, despite his bitching

Dana was going after the ref for calling a timeout and letting him recover. Dana said either call the fight or let him get out there. dont call a timeout and let him recover.

Just finished watching the fights from last night. Afterward, the 1st article I read about it is Dana White venting at the doctor. Uncle Dana was evidently upset the doctor took so long to clear Edmen to fight after that 2nd round. Said "what you don't do, is go in there and talk to him for 10 f***ing minutes" blah ba-blah ba-blah. Having no clue what he was talking about, I went back and checked it. The doc took 13 seconds to make a call; a little shorter than "10 f***cking minutes."
So did I miss something? Did the video I watched cut a bunch of stuff out? Or is this just Classic Dana at his finest?

Dana was right to be mad. They called a timeout before the round started to check on Edmen. That is patently unfair to Derek. It gave Edmen more time than he should have to recover. If you want to check on him do it during the interround period

This criticism isn't valid to me when it literally took 13 seconds. If you think that's too slow, you go out there and show all the doctors how's it's done. The whole thing is a non-argument. Dana just needs to STFU for once and accept victory. Everything went pretty well, despite his bitching

You're misconstruing things. No one is blaming the doctor per se. We're blaming the officials for allowing that to happen.

Except that's not the way it's done.

The corner gets it's minute to work on the fighter, THEN the doctor can assess. The exception is when the ref pauses the action mid round to assess an injury.
Agreed. This is how Herb did it.

What advice can your corner give if the doc is evaluating you during the one minute? I mean, who do you listen and respond to? You may answer your coach with "no" while the doc just asked if you want to continue (that would be an interesting scenario).

Oh so now Dana is cool with attacking and criticizing officials when he does it?

So you don't want MMA to grow then? Got it

Dana was going after the ref for calling a timeout and letting him recover. Dana said either call the fight or let him get out there. dont call a timeout and let him recover.
1st that's Herb that did that; Dana didn't say anything about the ref, he blasted the doctor. 2nd, that's the way it's done. If Dana wants to bitch about protocol (even though the doctor DID make a reasonably quick assessment) he should go try to change the rules. Otherwise I'd shut up and take the win but we all know Dana has foot-in-mouth syndrome, which is incurable, and that's fine - but don't be his little toady dude. It's not a good look

Dana is playing 4d chess. He did a favor for his old squeeze Rousey having shill herb and the doctor give him every advantage possible and thinks this will throw you off his scent. It did.

Herb literally couldn't possibly see the eye poke he gave a time out for either. He has let plenty of fighters get hit with big shots trying to call a time out and others get to call their own time out multiple times a fight. Best in the business my ass.

Doctor should have checked between rounds without any delay.

If we are ever stalling because we don't know if the fighter is all there or not, stop it.
Shh, no one tell this guy about doctors regularly checking fighters during fights.

Considering he defended the doctor stoppage in Masvidal vs Diaz I was surprised, I’m not sure what Dana was talking about here, maybe in person he thought the doctor took too long to make his assessment.

Herb did what he is meant to as an official. Doctor got in there and out pretty quick. I was very impressed how short the delay was.

He's obviously exaggerating to make a point, but his criticism is valid. When the doctor is called out when the round is starting instead of right when the previous round ends and then takes longer than he should to evaluate, it looks corrupt.
Dana playing matchmaking favoritism towards fan favorite fighters is corruption , too. He's a hypocrite douche

Agreed. This is how Herb did it.

What advice can your corner give if the doc is evaluating you during the one minute? I mean, who do you listen and respond to? You may answer your coach with "no" while the doc just asked if you want to continue (that would be an interesting scenario).
Dean probably could have streamlined it a bit better, but guaranteed, it would either confuse the corner or timekeeper.

• Opt A: Round 2 ends, Dean immediately calls time on the minute recovery and puts both fighters in the neutral corners and pulls the doc in to evaluate Edmen. The benefit of this is having the doctor check him immediately, but the difficulty would be communicating the pause to the time keeper while corraling the teams and telling them they can't coach during the time they're used to coaching.

• Opt B: Round 2 ends, let the corners in. Call the doctor in and have him wait. Use the minute to tell him to start his evaluation once the coaches time is done and walk over to the timekeeper area to let them know he's going to give the minute, but not start the third until the doc clears. The advantage is, it saves time, and the only downsides are wasting the coaches time if it was gonna end anyway (but who cares) or maybe an argument that Edmen, who shouldn't have been allowed to continue at first, might look like he can continue after the minute of recovery.

The fact that neither of these happened are not the doctors fault. And although we can blame Herb for not taking the best option, he didn't penalize Edmen and his corner by taking time from his minute, and he got the doctor to check him. Dana's off the mark here

What fight are you talking about? Yoel Romero hasn't fought anybody named Elliott so idk who you mean

My bad. I meant Tim Kennedy (will edit my initial post too).

Shh, no one tell this guy about doctors regularly checking fighters during fights.
Checking on cuts, swollen eyes, and nut shots. You don’t “regularly” see doctors enter to see if a fighter has been too knocked out to continue.

ssssshhhh

Ut tf up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back