Media Dana White claims Conor McGregor declined replacement opportunity that Gaethje ended up taking

Dana is going to be mad after Conor fights Floyd again and leaves the UFC out of it this time

Maybe someone who has knowledge of UFC contracts can confirm. If Conor retires and he's still under contract, he's allowed to do anything he wants as long as it's not MMA?

lol he wasn't KOing tony, and conor can't go 5 rounds. If the tony vs gaethje fight showed one thing, is that Tony legit beat conor.

I’m not as certain as you on the result.

In Diaz 2 he showed that he was capable of taking a round off and coming back strong.
While he did a lot of running away, I feel if Tony were to stand up with him the whole time he would make it through.

I’d guess McGregor decision.

After Conor beat Cerrone in such quick fashion it was thrown around that he could ready to jump if Tony or Khabib pulled out. I felt then that I couldn't see him fighting Tony if Khabib pulled out but maybe he would do it against Khabib with a Tony pull out. Who knows what he would've done if not for COVID which was the additional joker in this.

Not surprising if true, I mean Gaethje took a huge risk in fighting someone as tough as Tony. Fortunately the risk paid off but Gaethje and Conor are at different places within their respective careers and total earnings so I understand both sides of the coin.

I’m not as certain as you on the result.

In Diaz 2 he showed that he was capable of taking a round off and coming back strong.
While he did a lot of running away, I feel if Tony were to stand up with him the whole time he would make it through.

I’d guess McGregor decision.
lol diaz is multiple, multiple, multiple lvl below tony ... Compare conor's pace in the 5 round again diaz to tony's pace in 5 rounds fight. It is day and night.

Dana is going to be mad after Conor fights Floyd again and leaves the UFC out of it this time

Maybe someone who has knowledge of UFC contracts can confirm. If Conor retires and he's still under contract, he's allowed to do anything he wants as long as it's not MMA?
If that were the case then he would have just retired before the first Floyd fight instead of letting the UFC take a shit load of his purse.

This seems like bullshit from Dana. Even if Conor wanted to take the fight he wouldn't have been allowed to enter the United States at that time. He would have needed to fly from Ireland to a country that would allow him to enter and also wasn't under a US travel restriction, stay there for two weeks, and then fly into the US. Considering Khabib wasn't officially out until April 1st, and the new date and venue were announced even later, that would be a pretty ridiculous timeline to pull off in the middle of fight preparations.

lol diaz is multiple, multiple, multiple lvl below tony ... Compare conor's pace in the 5 round again diaz to tony's pace in 5 rounds fight. It is day and night.

Yep, agreed.

But I could see Conor winning 1 & 2 due to his superior stand up. Losing 3, winning 4, losing 5.

To be fair someone in Conor's position really shouldn't be a replacement fighter. He's bigger than that whether you like him or not. I feel like Dana's trying to put negative stories and critiques out there, whether it's Conor, Jones or Mas, so as to distract from his habitual low balling when it comes to finances.

And as I recall Conor did bail out Dana by accepting short notice fights on at least two occasions, the Mendes fight and the first Diaz fight. But it's funny how quick those favors are forgotten when Dana has a target in his crosshairs.
To be fair, the short notice fighters were Mendes and Diaz who took the fight on short notice without much if any training camp. McGregor had full camps for both fights. McGregor did have to make preparations for a different fighter, but still had the benefit of a full camp for dealing with conditioning, timing and weight control. Diaz and Mendes also had only a short time to game plan for CM, so they were even on that count, but on the very short end of the stick with regards to conditioning, timing and weight control.

Quite easily in that Fighters living in Ireland couldn't at the time get into the US as the borders were closed?
Oh and didn't his Aunt die like right around when this fight got booked, could be wrong.

Funny how Khabib was also under travel restrictions but Connie fanboys didn't accept that!

Dana has to be the most sh**** boss around. Why do you feel the need to disrespect your employees, let alone the ones that get you paid the most mfer.

Not a replacement fighter

* unless it’s a bad matchup, or a wrestler on short notice, or a washed up veteran, or anybody else I think I can beat
At those times against Mendes and Nate, it was his opponents that took the fight against him on short notice. Big difference when it is you that have to step up on short notice with a short camp.

Dana's putting conor in his place. Just to show him who' running shit. And it's not the first time.

We already knew that Conor wasn't fighting with no gates

to be expected

he's taken a lot of last minute switch ups of opponents

Which is considered very risky by even fighters like Jon Jones, who refused to fight Chael on short notice. I think he's made some ballsy moves, some would say stupid

But in terms of maximizing the potential business of his fights, there isn't much sense of playing that role if you're a star on that level

It would be silly for Floyd, Tyson, ali or any number of starts throughout the years to take a short notice fight and although Dana never mentioned it, I highly doubt either him or his stock holders would want to limit the potential business of a conor fight either

Back