Dana White: Demetrious Johnson has the lowest selling PPVs in UFC History.

No they absolutely make a profit off of DJ's fights you dunce.

Based on what?

Making a profit off of a card with DJ on it isn't the same as making a profit off of DJ.

If you look at the cards he's headlined, the PPV numbers associated with them, and the other fighters on the card, it's pretty hard to find very solid evidence for MM making any sort of positive impact on the bottom line.

I'd be more than shocked if Rory Mac v Woodley does less than 115 k PPV without MM headlining.

When this is your promoter's opinion of you and it directly correllates to the money invested, is it any surprise MM draws so little?

His promoter is on TMZ badmouthing him. Think about that....Why in the fuck is the promotion taking 85% of the revenue to sabotage the fighters career?

What the fuck is the UFC giving DJ that warrants that cut?

I dont get all the "DJ is a crying millenial," crap. Basically, the people who are supposed to advertise for him are doing the exact opposite. Who is it that is actually not doing their job and demanding money in this equation?

This statement deserves a lot more likes.

Based on what?

Making a profit off of a card with DJ on it isn't the same as making a profit off of DJ.

If you look at the cards he's headlined, the PPV numbers associated with them, and the other fighters on the card, it's pretty hard to find very solid evidence for MM making any sort of positive impact on the bottom line.

I'd be more than shocked if Rory Mac v Woodley does less than 115 k PPV without MM headlining.
If Dana calls him the lowest ppv seller "in the modern era (lol)", why do they want pit him against the second lowest seller of ppvs "in the modern era"?

Or get less than 100k. Then go an a TMZ tirade about how they can't sell ppvs.

Come on. Dillishaw v Joe frickin SOTO did 125 k.

115 k is the pretty much the floor for a PPV with the letters UFC stamped on it. Rory OR T-Wood would get that headlining against a boxing kangaroo.

You're delusional if you think MM brought any anything to that card in terms of revenue that they couldn't get with a couple of 10k/10k guys jammed in at the bottom, and everyone else moved up the card a slot.

This statement deserves a lot more likes.

not really

mm bit the hand that feeds him by making ridiculous demands no fight promoter would ever agree to. This is why mm has a manager so he negotiates the contract not mm. mm negotiated himself into a black hole. Now he's probably screwed because the UFC can choose not to fight him if they want. What's mm going do about that take the UFC to court? Good luck with that!

And that's a reason to shit on him, huh? It's not entirely his fault that he's the lowest selling fighter either. A lot of it is to do with him being small and that's not his fault. A lot of it has to do with not being that entertaining sometimes. A lot of it has to do with his opponents not being recognized as the best in that division and such. People see his opponents and just because they don't know much about them/they're not a big name, it means they're not top level fighters but that's not true at all.

Dana can shit on DJ all he wants, it's not his fault that he (Dana/UFC) created the flyweight division. That division in general is never going to do that well because most fans don't want to see such small fighters. They prefer bigger guys and it has and always will be that way. Dana could've avoided this problem if the division was never made. It's his own fucking fault. DJ is just a fighter doing his job. He fights and keeps winning. Is that a reason to hate on him? He doesn't sell, but very few fighters do, Dana. Not everybody can be Conor McGregor or Ronda Rousey, you fuckhead.

Dana is literally just being an asshole in this situation. I understand why he's being an asshole, as well as the fans talking shit about him (DJ), too, but look at it from DJ's point of view and he's not exactly wrong in what he's been saying. So if Dana really wants to be a prick and remove the flyweight division, then like DJ said, fucking remove the flyweight division. To me, it looks like they just don't want DJ to break Silva's record and also because they're mad DJ isn't letting them walk all over him. They won't say shit to Conor (for obvious reasons), but they'll walk all over everybody else and DJ clearly isn't having it.

DJ not being a draw is no reason to hate on him. Some (most) fighters just don't have the certain traits that make a fighter into a big star. If Dana and anybody else wants to hate on DJ for that, then you may as well hate on almost the entire roster because who else is really a star? It's not hard to understand why he doesn't want to defend his belt against TJ. We can all say he's ducking, but I think there's more to it than that and DJ has been saying why, people don't want to listen, though. Dana is a selfish cunt, so he'll continue to shit on DJ and all that for as long as he needs to. He's not a draw at all, so lets make it worse for him by talking a bunch of shit in the media. What a genius you are, Dana. That's how you make a star!

Come on. Dillishaw v Joe frickin SOTO did 125 k.

115 k is the pretty much the floor for a PPV with the letters UFC stamped on it. Rory OR T-Wood would get that headlining against a boxing kangaroo.

You're delusional if you think MM brought any anything to that card in terms of revenue that they couldn't get with a couple of 10k/10k guys jammed in at the bottom, and everyone else moved up the card a slot.
I thought I told you earlier that I don't give a shit if the UFC makes money. Or if DJ sells ppvs. I can see that ppvs with him as the anchor don't sell as many as some other champions.

But you didn't answer my question. It's a real one.

I mean, it's no big lost right? It's not as if DJ can sell a ppv. So why are they trying so hard? Make Dilly vs whoits for the interim flyweight, get 125k and make Dilly/Garbrandt in Oct as champ vs champ.

Since DJ doesn't matter.

Dana acting like a child. What a shocker.

What a piece of shit.

If Dana calls him the lowest ppv seller "in the modern era (lol)", why do they want pit him against the second lowest seller of ppvs "in the modern era"?

My guess is it's because they're trying their damndest to make a name out of both or either of them. It's a fight they can actually promote through the TUF angle, the former BW champ v current FLW champ angle, and even the "snake in the grass" angle.

Maybe it pays off. Maybe it doesn't. But at least there's a chance. At least there are some promotional angles.

DJ wants to fight Borg instead, and then to complain that they don't do enough to promote him. I mean, look, the guy has every right to fight only the opponents he wants to fight. But what's to promote about that fight?

And let's remember, it works both ways. The UFC also has every right to make only the fights that they foresee being profitable.

And that's a reason to shit on him, huh? It's not entirely his fault that he's the lowest selling fighter either. A lot of it is to do with him being small and that's not his fault. A lot of it has to do with not being that entertaining sometimes. A lot of it has to do with his opponents not being recognized as the best in that division and such. People see his opponents and just because they don't know much about them/they're not a big name, it means they're not top level fighters but that's not true at all.

Dana can shit on DJ all he wants, it's not his fault that he (Dana/UFC) created the flyweight division. That division in general is never going to do that well because most fans don't want to see such small fighters. They prefer bigger guys and it has and always will be that way. Dana could've avoided this problem if the division was never made. It's his own fucking fault. DJ is just a fighter doing his job. He fights and keeps winning. Is that a reason to hate on him? He doesn't sell, but very few fighters do, Dana. Not everybody can be Conor McGregor or Ronda Rousey, you fuckhead.

Dana is literally just being an asshole in this situation. I understand why he's being an asshole, as well as the fans talking shit about him (DJ), too, but look at it from DJ's point of view and he's not exactly wrong in what he's been saying. So if Dana really wants to be a prick and remove the flyweight division, then like DJ said, fucking remove the flyweight division. To me, it looks like they just don't want DJ to break Silva's record and also because they're mad DJ isn't letting them walk all over him. They won't say shit to Conor (for obvious reasons), but they'll walk all over everybody else and DJ clearly isn't having it.

DJ not being a draw is no reason to hate on him. Some (most) fighters just don't have the certain traits that make a fighter into a big star. If Dana and anybody else wants to hate on DJ for that, then you may as well hate on almost the entire roster because who else is really a star? It's not hard to understand why he doesn't want to defend his belt against TJ. We can all say he's ducking, but I think there's more to it than that and DJ has been saying why, people don't want to listen, though. Dana is a selfish cunt, so he'll continue to shit on DJ and all that for as long as he needs to. He's not a draw at all, so lets make it worse for him by talking a bunch of shit in the media. What a genius you are, Dana. That's how you make a star!
I think a lot of it has to do with him being smaller. I don't see why. Pacquiao is small, Mayweather is small.

Dana is an unprofessional dick, but DJ did this to himself.
The guy does nothing but whine about money and respect, but is ducking pretty much the only red panty night he'll ever have in his division.
nobody casual knows who TJ dillashaw is either. that's not a money fight.

I thought I told you earlier that I don't give a shit if the UFC makes money. Or if DJ sells ppvs. I can see that ppvs with him as the anchor don't sell as many as some other champions.

But you didn't answer my question. It's a real one.

I mean, it's no big lost right? It's not as if DJ can sell a ppv. So why are they trying so hard? Make Dilly vs whoits for the interim flyweight, get 125k and make Dilly/Garbrandt in Oct as champ vs champ.

Since DJ doesn't matter.

I've already answered this, more or less.

But the short answer is that they are desperately trying to find a reason to keep paying the guy. It's easy for you to say "What difference does it make? We can't make money off of him anyway."

But if you OWN the business you say it more like "We need to find a way to make money off this guy, or we need to just cut our losses and shut the division down."

DJ sees that as some sort of bullying. It isn't. It's just what businesses do. They trim the fat and get rid of whatever doesn't make them a profit.

I think a lot of it has to do with him being smaller. I don't see why. Pacquiao is small, Mayweather is small.

Exactly. Which is why him being small is a bullshit excuse. His PPV numbers are small. That's the issue. His height and weight are irrelevant to this particular discussion.

I saw Demetrious fight live in person at UFC 174 and people started getting out of there seats and walked right out of the venue...crickets the whole time he was fighting.
I'd say quarter of the crowd left by the time the 4th round came.

Fans were cheering louder for the WMMA fights on the prelims.
I'm not being sarcastic either.

Last edited:
My guess is it's because they're trying their damndest to make a name out of both or either of them. It's a fight they can actually promote through the TUF angle, the former BW champ v current FLW champ angle, and even the "snake in the grass" angle.

Maybe it pays off. Maybe it doesn't. But at least there's a chance. At least there are some promotional angles.

DJ wants to fight Borg instead, and then to complain that they don't do enough to promote him. I mean, look, the guy has every right to fight only the opponents he wants to fight. But what's to promote about that fight?

And let's remember, it works both ways. The UFC also has every right to make only the fights that they foresee being profitable.
Dude that first statement made me chuckle. They like Dilly so much that he didn't even receive an additional penny when he fought Joe Soto. He literally saved that ppv. If he would have said no, everyone would have gone home. Or they could have tried your theory and see what the ppv with Tony Ferguson in 2014 vs Castillo and Correia vs Baszler and only 5 other fights would get. He took the shortest championship fight in the history of the company. How was he rewarded?

DJ should absolutely play hard ball. Maybe if Dilly did, he wouldn't have cried so much when he was skipped 2 times and almost a 3rd after he lost to Cruz.

DJ actually said, when Dilly was champion, in an interview that featured him and Dilly that he would fight Dilly for the right price. The right price was purportedly 2 million. They are getting a discount now since Dilly isn't champion. Give him a million.

He's not wrong. Aldo is #2 right behind. Funny how two of the biggest complainers about money and promotion are the worst drawing on PPV. I wonder why?

And that's pretty much the main reason for it. People hate on him for it as if it's his fault he's small. Fight fans have and always will prefer the bigger divisions and such, but hating on a bunch of other guys simply because they're small is pretty lame. Most fans don't actually know anything about fighting and they don't care to learn, yet a lot of them care about the politics involved and it makes no sense why that is.

To me, this is a very dumb situation and DJ is getting way too much hate for it. He's not doing anything different than what many champs in the UFC are currently doing as well. He's a flyweight, though, so Dana, as well as the fans, should shit on him more than anybody else that's doing the same thing (Bisping, GDR, Woodley). Fans are hating on the others for ducking fights, but Dana/UFC isn't and that's another reason why this is so stupid.

Personally, I enjoy watching his fights because I appreciate how damn good he is. The guy is amazing at what he does. People should honestly stop paying attention to how small he is and pay attention to how good he is. Unfortunately, things will never change and he will always be hated for that one thing - he's small. It is what it is.

But the short answer is that they are desperately trying to find a reason to keep paying the guy. It's easy for you to say "What difference does it make? We can't make money off of him anyway."

But if you OWN the business you say it more like "We need to find a way to make money off this guy, or we need to just cut our losses and shut the division down."

DJ sees that as some sort of bullying. It isn't. It's just what businesses do. They trim the fat and get rid of whatever doesn't make them a profit.

EXACTLY

The problem is generally speaking mm fans have no business acumen and think it's OK for the UFC lose money on Demetrious fight after fight. Well WME took over the UFC had their mercenary accountants take a real hard look at the books and decided correctly. We need start showing a profit for this division otherwise what's the point of keeping it around?! So they tasked Dana and Shelby try and make something happen. Now everything has gone south and at this point the UFC is better off folding the division into BW.

It's really easy for me to say. I have no stake in the company.

But it is extremely easy for Dana, who actually has a stake and actually said it in front of cameras.

The UFC also claims to be a sport. And sports can't always go by the bottom line. They can't be a sport when it's convenient and a high profit margin company when it suits them. These will conflict with another.

Thinking about your business example, you can't think of employees that way. Ruins the culture.

If I say Bobby needs to sell 2 cars to justify his paycheck that's one thing. But when I say, Bobby needs to sell 2 cars to justify his paycheck. But he has to sell the lowest rated or non-rated cars on the lot. I will take down the open sign. I won't do my usual radio show spot to advertise the crazy discount Saturday. I will also take down any commercial and newspaper ads.

Good luck Bobby.

And that's pretty much the main reason for it. People hate on him for it as if it's his fault he's small. Fight fans have and always will prefer the bigger divisions and such, but hating on a bunch of other guys simply because they're small is pretty lame. Most fans don't actually know anything about fighting and they don't care to learn, yet a lot of them care about the politics involved and it makes no sense why that is.

To me, this is a very dumb situation and DJ is getting way too much hate for it. He's not doing anything different than what many champs in the UFC are currently doing as well. He's a flyweight, though, so Dana, as well as the fans, should shit on him more than anybody else that's doing the same thing (Bisping, GDR, Woodley). Fans are hating on the others for ducking fights, but Dana/UFC isn't and that's another reason why this is so stupid.

Personally, I enjoy watching his fights because I appreciate how damn good he is. The guy is amazing at what he does. People should honestly stop paying attention to how small he is and pay attention to how good he is. Unfortunately, things will never change and he will always be hated for that one thing - he's small. It is what it is.
Woodley did the same thing but some how they worked out a deal. Woodley reported pay was around 500k but he hinted that he got more. I don't know the big deal about this. If they want the fight work out a deal.

Back