Dana White: Demetrious Johnson has the lowest selling PPVs in UFC History.

Dude that first statement made me chuckle. They like Dilly so much that he didn't even receive an additional penny when he fought Joe Soto. He literally saved that ppv. If he would have said no, everyone would have gone home. Or they could have tried your theory and see what the ppv with Tony Ferguson in 2014 vs Castillo and Correia vs Baszler and only 5 other fights would get. He took the shortest championship fight in the history of the company. How was he rewarded?

DJ should absolutely play hard ball. Maybe if Dilly did, he wouldn't have cried so much when he was skipped 2 times and almost a 3rd after he lost to Cruz.

DJ actually said, when Dilly was champion, in an interview that featured him and Dilly that he would fight Dilly for the right price. The right price was purportedly 2 million. They are getting a discount now since Dilly isn't champion. Give him a million.

I agree with a fighter naming his price and not fighting for less than what it's worth to him.

But the promoter also has a price, and if it's not worth it to them to give DJ a million dollar payday, then it's not worth it.

The evidence seems to support that idea.

Either way, if the UFC decides they've had it with DJ and the FLW division, people need to stop acting as though they're doing it out of spite.

The reason they don't want to pay DJ is clearly because DJ doesn't make them any money. The division is worthless to them right now.

Personally, I think it would be short sighted of them to just shut FLW down. With the right fighters and the right fights and the right sort of rivalries or circumstances, it may well catch on yet.

But I also understand their frustration, and understand that a business needs to decide when to cut its losses because staying in too long can hurt you just as surely as getting out too early can.

Smaller than your daughter or not, he'd whoop your ass, your daughters ass, and everyone in your families ass. And I say this as a guy WAY WAY bigger than DJ. Show some respect to a fighter.

He wouldnt even get close to whooping my famlies ass without getting his head blown off...and when did I say I can beat him in a fight?

And I'll respect who I want twat.

I saw Demetrious fight live in person at UFC 174 and people started getting out of there seats and walked right out of the venue...crickets the whole time he was fighting.
I'd say quarter of the crowd left by the time the 4th round came.

Fans were cheering louder for the WMMA fights on the prelims on that card.
I'm not being sarcastic either.

I heard a similar tale about one of DJ's fights, though I don't remember which event it was. Basically the mood in the arena was bleak and people in the audience were finding other sources of entertainment, with more people paying attention to things that were occurring outside of the octagon than what was going on inside of it.

Here is my problem with Dana taking this sort of stand on DJ... his argument completely disregards the idea that the UFC has some sort of onus to promote the fighters. While I think Dana is spot on when it comes to DJ's PPV's numbers, the UFC should be accepting a lot of the responsibility for their lack of promotion of both DJ and the Flyweight division.

DJ is an entertaining fighter, who just happens to be small. The UFC either wants to have a Flyweight division, or not.. but if they are going to stick with it, then they need to promote it... As for Dana suggesting that Might Mouse was not being truthful, sorry, but given the choice of between Dana's version and DJ's version.. well, lets just say the Demetrious doesn't have a long and documented history of being full of shit... especially when it comes to the fighters...

I did not know that Dana had been thinking of scrapping the 125lbs division for the past three years.

As for MM, there is pretty much nothing that can be done to get fans interested in him. He is a charisma black hole.

I heard a similar tale about one of DJ's fights, though I don't remember which event it was. Basically the mood in the arena was bleak and people in the audience were finding other sources of entertainment, with more people paying attention to things that were occurring outside of the octagon than what was going on inside of it.
It's really a shame his skills can't draw the attention/respect he deserves.
I don't want to see Flyweight get shut down but the hybrid of fighters that Bantamweight could possibly get out of it would be cool to see.

Kinda like what Bantamweight was like back in WEC in a sense.

Last edited:
Both Dana and DJ are right to an extent. But Dana is sucking Connor off hard here because Connors his boy. He will never be the best pound for pound fighter without defending a belt first

I agree with a fighter naming his price and not fighting for less than what it's worth to him.

But the promoter also has a price, and if it's not worth it to them to give DJ a million dollar payday, then it's not worth it.

The evidence seems to support that idea.

Either way, if the UFC decides they've had it with DJ and the FLW division, people need to stop acting as though they're doing it out of spite.

The reason they don't want to pay DJ is clearly because DJ doesn't make them any money. The division is worthless to them right now.

Personally, I think it would be short sighted of them to just shut FLW down. With the right fighters and the right fights and the right sort of rivalries or circumstances, it may well catch on yet.

But I also understand their frustration, and understand that a business needs to decide when to cut its losses because staying in too long can hurt you just as surely as getting out too early can.
This whole thing would be moot if DJ had said yes. We wouldn't hear anything about the lowest ppv or drawing or any of this.

When Dana is told no, fighters find out what he really thinks of them. Dilly should take note. It happened to him before.

It's really easy for me to say. I have no stake in the company.

But it is extremely easy for Dana, who actually has a stake and actually said it in front of cameras.

The UFC also claims to be a sport. And sports can't always go by the bottom line. They can't be a sport when it's convenient and a high profit margin company when it suits them. These will conflict with another.

Thinking about your business example, you can't think of employees that way. Ruins the culture.

If I say Bobby needs to sell 2 cars to justify his paycheck that's one thing. But when I say, Bobby needs to sell 2 cars to justify his paycheck. But he has to sell the lowest rated or non-rated cars on the lot. I will take down the open sign. I won't do my usual radio show spot to advertise the crazy discount Saturday. I will also take down any commercial and newspaper ads.

Good luck Bobby.

You're wrong about sport and business being at odds. Professional sports are about profit. Always. Sometimes they sacrifice profit in the short term "for the integrity of the sport," but only because they hope to make a profit in the long term. The UFC is clearly signalling that they have their doubts about the long term viability and profitability of the FLW division in general, and DJ in particular.

You're also wrong about the idea that businesses "can't think of employees that way." That's literally the ONLY way a business can think of employees and stay in business.

If I make more money on days when Bobby stays home than on days when Bobby comes in, I can't have Bobby on the payroll. Not because I don't like Bobby, but because I owe it to the business, and my customers, and my other employers to keep my business as healthy as possible, and that doesn't happen so long as I keep employing Bobby.

So Dana tells us what everyone already knows (#'s are available online) and yet fans get upset. How do you give a guy a raise when he has no real fan base? The UFC is a business that rewards fighters for your popularity and not just your skill.

This whole thing would be moot if DJ had said yes. We wouldn't hear anything about the lowest ppv or drawing or any of this.

When Dana is told no, fighters find out what he really thinks of them. Dilly should take note. It happened to him before.

Dana is far too public about this sort of thing and talks way too much shit about his own fighters, which he seems to forget are his product.

On that we agree.

He wouldnt even get close to whooping my famlies ass without getting his head blown off...and when did I say I can beat him in a fight?

And I'll respect who I want twat.

I completely understand your frustration! mm fans threaten me with fantasy mm assault all the time. mm will kick your ass etc etc. it's fucking absurd! I don't care and i'm sure as fuck not afraid of mm either.

Dana needs to be fired. He's the only promoter or equivalent of a commissioner of a sport that takes crap so personal and just pops off at the mouth.

Adam Silver doesn't do this in the NBA. Roger Goodell, although a crappy commissioner, doesn't do this...and he seriously dislikes Tom Brady enough to do so if he wanted to.

He took, with others help of course, an organization worth negative money, and got it to a price of 4 billion. He should not be fired. If anything the fighters should unionize to better counter dana

MM needs to wear a blonde Rhonda wig to his next fight so Dana and co can get back to calling him once in a lifetime athlete/fighter/pocketliner/hypejob or whatever Rhonda is to them now.

The UFC's perspective is entirely reasonable from a business perspective.

That being said, they need to do a better job of respecting Mighty Mouse on basic things, some of which he highlighted in his initial response (assuming those things were true).

Dana with the help of Lorenzo and Frank made the UFC. He owns stock in the new UFC and i don't see him going anywhere. sorry mm fans that's just the way it is, 1 lump or two!

Back