Media Dana White Doubles Down Further Calls UFC 300 "Best Combat Sports Card Ever Assembled"

On paper, UFC 205 was better:

vR9TSSp.jpeg

Even with Gastelum vs Cerrone and Evans vs Kennedy getting cancelled, it was still an amazingly stacked card. With the clear difference in quality compared to 300 being its headliner. The biggest MMA star, and honestly one of the worlds biggest sports stars, moving up a weightclass to fight for his second belt. Now compare that to Pereira vs Hill.
It had freaking Khabib on the prelims!
Also important to note that Weidman, Woodley, Wonderboy, Romero, Gastelum, were at the height of their careers (or close to it, Weidman only just had a loss to Rockhold), so in relevance terms this was also stacked as hell.

Max vs Gaethje does blow everything out the water on 205 that isnt the main fight tho.

Also not hating on UFC 300, its still crazy stacked and I'm oldschool levels excited to watch it

Last edited:
Not even the best card in the UFC's last 2 PPVs, HAH

299 was better

There are a good 5-6-7 fights that could headline other very good cards, and a few others that would comfortably be on top of free events. It's definitely up there

I'm not gonna get all nitpicky about this event, especially now when it's been talked to death and already upon us. I will say though, for lack of true "star" power (which I find to be one of them most watered down terms in sports), I would've really liked to see 5 title fights as the Main Card. That could've been truly unique and memorable, and doable.

On paper, UFC 205 was better:

vR9TSSp.jpeg

Even with Gastelum vs Cerrone and Evans vs Kennedy getting cancelled, it was still an amazingly stacked card. With the clear difference in quality compared to 300 being its headliner. The biggest MMA star, and honestly one of the worlds biggest sports stars, moving up a weightclass to fight for his second belt. Now compare that to Pereira vs Hill.
It had freaking Khabib on the prelims!
Also important to note that Weidman, Woodley, Wonderboy, Romero, Gastelum, were at the height of their careers (or close to it, Weidman only just had a loss to Rockhold), so in relevance terms this was also stacked as hell.

Max vs Gaethje does blow everything out the water on 205 that isnt the main fight tho.

Also not hating on UFC 300, its still crazy stacked and I'm oldschool levels excited to watch it

Tate v Pennington
Carmouche v Chookagian
Natal v Boetsch

Are worse than any fight on 300.

I'm not gonna get all nitpicky about this event, especially now when it's been talked to death and already upon us. I will say though, for lack of true "star" power (which I find to be one of them most watered down terms in sports), I would've really liked to see 5 title fights as the Main Card. That could've been truly unique and memorable, and doable.

Too long if 3 go to decision. There's a reason they don't do that.

On paper this is with out a doubt one of the best cards ever in history, period. I don't know how any fan of MMA can argue that.

Like discussing anything as the greatest you can probably talk about a few other cards but that is it. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

3 years ago is recent?
If you fight once a year? Yes.
That win being a spinning backfist KO over Joanna, who you just talked up. I'm not seeing how that indicates the division is shallow, Oliveira was scheduled to get a title fight after one win and 155 is the most stacked division in the UFC.
I talked her up before she started losing. This is the same logic as you saying we can't use the future of Jon Jones career after UFC 100. We're talking bout the Joanna of UFC 217, not the one who went on a losing streak.
On a skid to Zhang. I don't believe JJ was out of prime, she was just facing better opposition because the division got better. Look at who her title defenses were against.
Okay, thats your opinion. But the reality is that she went from being undefeated at UFC 217 to being 2-4 in her last 6. She wasn't the same fighter after being knocked out and taking those losses, as is the case with most fighters. You're never the same after being knocked out like that.
She has a title defense behind her and her only UFC loss is Rose who isn't in the division anymore. She also easily beat Esparza who Rose lost to twice.
One title defense and you're the GOAT? You can't be serious. If you want to call the people you're arguing against nostalgia fans, then you fall into the recency bias/hype beast category.
Huh? Explain. Do you really think Joanna or Bisping are more skilled than Max Holloway?
I think it's debatable. I'd put a Prime TJ Dillashaw above Max Holloway. Rose Namajunas knocked Weili Zhang out with one of the simplest tricks in the book. But I do know for a fact that GSP is more skilled and accomplished than anyone on UFC 300, and you seem to have conveniently forgotten to mention him.
It's as meaningful as any other non title fight in the division. Gaethje needs to fight and Max is the best opponent for him. The alternatives are Gamrot or Jalin Turner. And if Max wins LW has a brand new contender to shake things up. It's both a fantastic action packed matchup AND a meaningful fight. It's easily better than any fight on 217.
This is a side quest for Justin. He would be getting the title shot regardless of this fight. Beating a featherweight who is 0-1 in the division does nothing for his standing as a lightweight. These are facts.

Again, he's a 2 division champion in two different sports. What he accomplished is amazing and unheard of.
That's nice. When talking about MMA, only his accomplishments in MMA are relevant. Being a MW and LHW champion are nice. But I think it's more of a byproduct of timing than anything else. I won't elaborate any further on that. Because based on how little of my previous point you responded to, I think you get the idea.

You just went full retard. A 2-0 Jon Jones was nowhere near as valuable as the former champs on the prelims of 300. We are talking about fighters who have headlined PPVs for fucks sake, stop the BS of no one cares. Jiri literally just headlined a PPV that did massive numbers. Aljo is coming off being the BW champion with the most title defenses. Lol at trying to compare the fighters on 300 to an unranked fighter with 2 UFC wins. It's absolutely ludicrous. Your opinion of Jon Jones on 100 is entirely based on what he went on to accomplish. If Bo Nickal goes on to be a legend it doesn't make 300 more stacked to those of us watching it now. That's some shit for the future to decide.
Is it based on their accomplishments or how much people are excited to see them fight? You keep changing the goal post when it suits your argument. Jiri is an exciting fighter. I never once mentioned him.

"Aljo is coming off of being the BW champion with the most title defenses." This is another example of what I'm talking about with the favorable language using metrics when they're convenient to you but leaving out context for the sole purpose of hyping up UFC 300. He's also the only BW champion to win the belt from a DQ, only BW champion to have all controversial decisions for defenses. And are we going to just ignore all of Cruz's defenses in WEC when there was no bantamweight division in the UFC? I get what you're saying, but it's so conveniently biased.

And, I'm curious as to where you're finding official UFC rankings in July of 2009? Every list I see from that time period has Jon Jones on there. By the way, Jones win over Bonnar would be better than any win Bo Nickal has and would entirely warrant him being placed into the rankings.
Another question, when did you start watching MMA?

Last edited:
Lol no. None of the fighters I mentioned were ranked or former champions. You clearly lack an understanding of how time works.
Mark Coleman didn't win two UFC tournaments and then go on to become the first UFC Heavyweight champion? And out of Jim Miller, Mac Danzig, Dong Hyun Kim, TJ Grant, Tom Lawlor, CB Dolloway and Jon Jones-- none of them were ranked? I'll give you that point if you can show me the official UFC rankings for that time. But I have a hard time believing that. Were you even watching MMA in 2009?

Tate v Pennington
Carmouche v Chookagian
Natal v Boetsch

Wait hold on brother, what happened to the former champion and ranked argument from earlier? If these fights were on 300, here’s what you would say.
Tate, former champion just lost her belt. Pennington TUF semifinalist when Tate was coach.
Carmouche was in the first women’s UFC fight ever, ranked.
Natal and Boetsch both ranked in the top 10.

Last edited:
Dana threw in all the names he could find, but the fights are mostly not very compelling.

Nothing on this card for casuals. Dana preaching to (and charging 80 bucks to) the choir.

Tate v Pennington
Carmouche v Chookagian
Natal v Boetsch

And Conor vs Alvarez is much better than Pereira vs Hill. Which is the main fight and thus the most important one on the entire card

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back