dangers of being choked out

triangle killer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last training session i got choked out from a triangle. I wasnt being stubborn and it didn't feel tight but I still went out and woke up to my instructor holding my feet in the air.
How dangerous is it to be choked unconsious?
Obviously I am going to try and avoid it but what are the risks?

Last training session i got choked out from a triangle. I wasnt being stubborn and it didn't feel tight but I still went out and woke up to my instructor holding my feet in the air.

Did you wake up in his bedroom as well?

That could be a danger of getting choked out.

if the choke is held after you're choked out then it is very dangerous, but what happened to you is not.

go to the two minute mark, this shows what happens to ya when you get choked out.

I've been choked out before with a bow and arrow choke, and have choked a guy out with a triangle. It's not a big deal, but probably not a good idea to get choked out regularly.

The longer the choke is held after you passed out the higher the chance of brain injury. If there is no oxygen getting to your brain for 2 minutes you can die.

The longer the choke is held after you passed out the higher the chance of brain injury. If there is no oxygen getting to your brain for 2 minutes you can die.

But seeing as how most people will go out in a matter of seconds once a choke is properly applied, the odds of someone continuing to hold it for several minutes afterward are unlikely. There are much more efficient ways to kill someone.

It's really not that dangerous if it's only held for a few seconds while you are out

It doesn't take long to realize the person you're choking has gone out. They go limp, and in my experience start making some noises as the body involuntarily struggles to breathe. Snoring is not uncommon. Pretty clear signal to let go at that point.

I've never been to the point that I had people lifting my feet or actively trying to revive me (seen it happen a few times though), but on a couple occasions I've been choked to the point where I spaced out and had to ask whether or not I tapped.

you may shit your pants.

TS, getting choked out is pretty okay, as long as people dont hold on for minutes, but perhaps best avoided as you said.. At least my doctor friend agreed with that it's not that dramatic as long as you dont have any pre-consisting conditions(blood clots? etc). I'd love to hear from other sources as well.

I've know hard-core dojos where everyone had to be choked out, but never felt it myself ;)

I am surprised there was only a 13% reduction in blood flow based on that experiment. The brain is still getting a large majority of the blood its usually getting, so I'm curious as to why the choke even works at all.

Doing a quick google search,
blood oxygen levels can be in the 80% range and that would be considered low, but someone would most likely still be awake and conscious. So why when you only slightly lower the blood flow to the brain do you have such an IMMEDIATE reaction. THey mention its due to oxygen levels, but you can survive on the oxygen in your blood safely for about 6 minutes after stopping all respiration.

And in drowning cases people have been brought back after periods longer than 6 minutes with no brain damage.

Last edited:
I am surprised there was only a 13% reduction in blood flow based on that experiment. The brain is still getting a large majority of the blood its usually getting, so I'm curious as to why the choke even works at all.

Doing a quick google search,
blood oxygen levels can be in the 80% range and that would be considered low, but someone would most likely still be awake and conscious. So why when you only slightly lower the blood flow to the brain do you have such an IMMEDIATE reaction. THey mention its due to oxygen levels, but you can survive on the oxygen in your blood safely for about 6 minutes after stopping all respiration.

And in drowning cases people have been brought back after periods longer than 6 minutes with no brain damage.

Drop in blood pressure, like when you stand up too fast while relaxed and faint.

Back