DAREDEVIL on Netflix v.4 (Cancelled After 3 Seasons)

Six episodes in and still think DD is leagues ahead of the other marvel shows.

Update: March 22, 2016

Dragonlord's Review of Netflix's DAREDEVIL Season Two
(No Spoilers)

peYLumw.jpg

Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight is one of the big reasons why Daredevil season one was such an amazing show. In season two, writers Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez replaces DeKnight as the showrunners and the difference is noticeable.

The main cast is back and everybody gives a terrific performance. Unfortunately, the new character storylines makes some of them unlikable at certain points. Matt Murdock seemed unbearable and whiny-ish when struggling with his ideology and debating the merits of killing versus non-killing. Foggy Nelson, who was once a lovable, easygoing comic relief in season one, turns into a nag. Nothing blatantly wrong with Karen Page but her romantic dates with Matt was corny, complete with cutesy long stares, cheesy long kisses and silly no-sex outcomes.

But the new season is all about the two popular Marvel characters making their much-anticipated MCU debut – Frank Castle a.k.a. the Punisher (Jon Bernthal) and Elektra (Elodie Yung).

Bernthal as Frank Castle was terrific. But he sort of loses me a little whenever he talks too much since I’m very familiar with Bernthal’s other works and the similarities between his tics and performance can shatter the facade. Plus my idea of a Punisher doesn’t talk much or at all.

Yung’s Elektra is different but a refreshing take on the character. Instead of a being bitter and brooding, this Elektra is more of a classy, exuberant wild child. Her accent is sexy as hell and there’s just something in the way she says “Matthew” that’s very seductive.

The fight scenes are still impressive, especially the extended building fight sequence in episode 3. The story is somewhat lacking and the pacing is a tad dragging. Some of the fight resolutions are a bit disappointing and unsatisfactory, like it’s not as good as you imagined it to be. The Hand storyline is frustratingly unresolved. I suspect that they are intentionally stretching out the Hand plot because they will be main antagonists in The Defenders series.

For a show of this caliber, the quality control– ability to lessen plot holes, inconsistencies, illogical actions and dumb character decisions – in season two is regrettably lacking (see spoiler tag below for examples).

Overall, Daredevil season two is still a good superhero crime drama series but mired with poor quality control, disagreeable characterizations, protracted pacing and a less-than-stellar story.

Preliminary Rating: 7.5/10

In episode one, the mobsters shooting back at the wall, even though they couldn’t see anything on the other side, was cheesy and dumb. Even dumber is their first instinct is to not take cover. The first time we see the Punisher, he goes on full Rambo mode (instead of using stealth) in a hospital just to kill a low-level gangster. It was an exciting scene no doubt but really out of character. Not to mention the "missed" shotgun blasts with civilians all over the place.

In episode 3, Punisher and DD are fighting on a roof of a building. Frank knocks DD down but not out. Instead of making sure DD is incapacitated (strike one), Frank goes over the edge of the roof and fires a grenade at the parked motorcycles on the street. Even though the street is very well-lit because of the fire/street lamps and he has the advantage of concealment, Frank turns on the floodlights near him. So now, the bikers know his position (strike two). Frank DOESN'T SHOOT and just looks at the bikers through his scope (strike three). The bikers quickly run across the street and Frank STILL doesn’t shoot (strike four). Frank looks ready to shoot but half of them are already near his building and out of sight. Then DD interrupts his shot.

In episode 9, the Kingpin goes out of his way to make sure the Punisher is sent to the same prison as him. Fisk wants to kill a rival big shot inmate in the prison. Fisk explains to Frank that this prison boss is heavily guarded and only Frank is capable of killing him. Fisk says he has a prison guard under his pocket that will let him go inside the prison boss’ cellblock and that he only has 7 minutes to kill the prison boss. Once Frank is there, the guard lets him in the cellblock. Despite being advertised as heavily guarded, all the prison boss’ underlings are locked up inside their own cells. So Frank just casually walks to the prison boss’ cell and kills one underling to get to the boss. It’s ludicrous how easy it was to kill the prison boss. It was so easy that Fisk didn’t even need his convoluted scheme to bring the Punisher to do the job.

Link to previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/115210383/
More like 6 out of 10. This season is terrible.

They cut Luke Cage and left Punisher? I get cutting Iron Fist. It's terrible. But leaving Jessica Jones, Punisher and Daredevil in place, you're left with the most damaged and depressing of all the characters. Not much to look forward to.

Finished the show. Season 2 for overzealous and bit off more than it could chew... but coming back down to earth was good. Season 3 is excellently written and acted. It’s intelligent, compelling, and explores characters and themes with a depth the other marvel shows haven’t found yet.

I finished it last night, I'd say about 7.5/10.

It was pretty good to me. My first thought was, it was no where near as good as season 2. And it's not, but it's ok, it's still a good season overall.

Pros and cons and questions:

Pros -
The fighting was pretty badass as usual. I did like Bullseye, he was pretty intense. The storylines were pretty solid. The quality felt pretty top notch as usual.

Cons-
Small ones. I didn't like how Bullseye basically won almost every fight between him and DD. It was kinda pissing me off haha. I get that his marksmanship with anything made him lethal at a distance, but where the hell did he learn to outfight DD as well? Granted, DD was constantly hurt, and constantly trying to recover from major injuries. Sometimes Kingpin seemed autistic or whatever, borderline goofy. But he was still a boss. I would have liked a couple of more face offs between Bullseye and DD. And that episode devoted to Karen kinda felt like a waste given there's only 13 episodes.

Question-
I wasn't sure, and they never showed it, but did Matt ever get his DD vision back? I know he lost his senses for a bit, then his senses were getting all mixed up at one point, then he just started jumping right back into the fray senses be damned. Did his freakin DD vision ever come back?? Cause the show hardly ever shows his vision, so I just wasn't sure.

Loved DD s1 and 2.. tried the other shows but never got into them (cept punisher)

Do I need to be caught up on the other shows before I watch season 3? Or is it standalone

Good: Dex, Matt, Kingpin, Matt vs not-Daredevil, Matt's budget superhero costume, Matt's young nun mom
Bad: Karen, an entire fucking Karen episode, Foggy, Lawyering bullshit, "I'm gonna kill Kingpin...on second thought, naw." Netflix marvel shows still have a huge drop off in quality once they reach a certain peak. Endings are almost always anticlimactic.

IF netflix doesn't cancel Daredevil I really hope season 4 isn't more of "Kingpin gets back in jail, cons his way out of the prison and Matt tries lawyering Kingpin into submission" bullshit, because I really couldn't stand seeing another season of that.

This still continues to be the best of the budget Avengers tv shows. You just really have to ignore that anything else but Daredevil and Punihser exist in this universe because there's no excuse as to why a bulletproof Cage wouldn't drop by to Hell's Kitchen and slap Kingpin senseless.

I think a factor between Matt and Bullseye which gets overlooked is
That Bullseye has the benefit of wearing the armor. And he has it on every time they fight. Matt can't really stick damage unless it's to the lower face, where he does hit him a bunch of times. But remember, that armor was durable enough for Matt to take a prolonged series of blows from full rage Fisk holding the batons. And the helmet was strong enough to take a direct gun shot from Frank in season 2. In their first fight, I felt like Matt had a clear advantage in the stand up until Bullseye went ranged. I also liked how Matt solved that in the last fight by deflecting the projectiles up close rather instead of trying to lurk at a distance.

Loved DD s1 and 2.. tried the other shows but never got into them (cept punisher)

Do I need to be caught up on the other shows before I watch season 3? Or is it standalone
Nah not really. The end of Defenders leads directly into the start of DD season 3, but you really don't need to watch it imo. Just have it in the back of your mind that
they fought a bunch of ninjas under a building, then a bomb went off and dropped the building on Matt and Elektra.

I'm really sad they didn't stick with the Miller Elektra story-line, and the epic fight between Bullseye and Elektra.

daredevil-181-022.jpg

Should I watch The Defenders before watching DD S3? If I haven't watched The Defenders, will I be missing out stuff going into DD S3?
Completely unnecessary, they catch you up at beginning of E1.

I finished it last night, I'd say about 7.5/10.

It was pretty good to me. My first thought was, it was no where near as good as season 2. And it's not, but it's ok, it's still a good season overall.

Pros and cons and questions:

Pros -
The fighting was pretty badass as usual. I did like Bullseye, he was pretty intense. The storylines were pretty solid. The quality felt pretty top notch as usual.

Cons-
Small ones. I didn't like how Bullseye basically won almost every fight between him and DD. It was kinda pissing me off haha. I get that his marksmanship with anything made him lethal at a distance, but where the hell did he learn to outfight DD as well? Granted, DD was constantly hurt, and constantly trying to recover from major injuries. Sometimes Kingpin seemed autistic or whatever, borderline goofy. But he was still a boss. I would have liked a couple of more face offs between Bullseye and DD. And that episode devoted to Karen kinda felt like a waste given there's only 13 episodes.

Question-
I wasn't sure, and they never showed it, but did Matt ever get his DD vision back? I know he lost his senses for a bit, then his senses were getting all mixed up at one point, then he just started jumping right back into the fray senses be damned. Did his freakin DD vision ever come back?? Cause the show hardly ever shows his vision, so I just wasn't sure.

He got his sonar back, but they revealed it very subtly. In the final fight seen Matt was deflecting forks from 10 feet away.

I'm really sad they didn't stick with the Miller Elektra story-line, and the epic fight between Bullseye and Elektra.

daredevil-181-022.jpg

I think we might get that next season. It won't be as powerful seeing as she has already died once already, but it would still be epic.
Maybe we get to see Gladiator, too. Lots of Easter Eggs in Melvin's scene.
And we need a full costume season, too. No more goodwill superheroing.

Good: Dex, Matt, Kingpin, Matt vs not-Daredevil, Matt's budget superhero costume, Matt's young nun mom
Bad: Karen, an entire fucking Karen episode, Foggy, Lawyering bullshit, "I'm gonna kill Kingpin...on second thought, naw." Netflix marvel shows still have a huge drop off in quality once they reach a certain peak. Endings are almost always anticlimactic.

IF netflix doesn't cancel Daredevil I really hope season 4 isn't more of "Kingpin gets back in jail, cons his way out of the prison and Matt tries lawyering Kingpin into submission" bullshit, because I really couldn't stand seeing another season of that.

This still continues to be the best of the budget Avengers tv shows. You just really have to ignore that anything else but Daredevil and Punihser exist in this universe because there's no excuse as to why a bulletproof Cage wouldn't drop by to Hell's Kitchen and slap Kingpin senseless.
Sometimes it almost breaks my suspension of disbelief(As far as that goes in a superhero show/movie, heh) that all this shit is going down and neither Luke jessica or IF shows up. Much less punisher, spiderman or any other new york superhero. Rights and marvel/Disney stuff aside.

Shouldn't New York and the world still be reeling from the aftermath of Infinity War? Sometimes the show feels like it's a shared universe with the MCU, and other times it feels like it's simply Easter egg references.

Although it's ending directly impacts on the beginning of DDS3, there's no real reason to watch Defenders. I found it pretty weak. Nowhere near the standard of Daredevil.

DD was the best part of the Defenders. Dude was a one man army.

Last edited:
Just finished the season and FUCKKK it was amazing. Aside from the Karen episode it was the best since season 1. DD is the pinnacle of TV, all other shows should strive for its level.

I actually skipped the entire Karen backstory when I realized what they were doing lol....I just had enough of Karen being so damaged emotionally.

I watched the rest of the episode though

Did I make a mistake?

Back