Darren Elkins buried on Fight Night prelims

Featherweight version of Raphael Assunção.

Both guys are without a doubt elite level talents, but from the promotion's view, lack the intangibles to warrant a boost/marketing in their career trajectory toward the very top of the division.

Elkins is 14-3 in UFC. As far as I can tell, has never pulled out of a scheduled fight, missed weight and has filled in a few times as a short notice replacement.

Last edited:
He doesn't come to brawl. He comes to get beat up or hold on to people. Boring. Keep him on FightPass

Good example of how bad promotion can affect a fighters trajectory.

- 6 fight win streak
- Two POTN bonuses in his last 3 (Bektic anyone?).
- Ranked 10th (Second highest ranked male on card)

Yet buried mid-prelims of a Fight Night, below guys he just beat (Dennis Bermudez).
This is criminal. Volkanovski is 4-0 in the UFC. This is a co-main event worthy fight.

There's a perception in here that Elkins is not marketable and so I guess I blame that on the UFC.

Cause of course he is. He's got a primal warrior personality. Fans were losing their shit over him at 209, and he just had another great performance in January.

Might never be champion, but a competent promotion could get more value out of him then UFC is now. But they burying him, more focused on highlighting Eddie Wineland, Randy Brown, Dennis Bermudez etc.

Volkanovski is gonna beat him to a bloody pulp.

Yeah Bektić and now Volkanovski. Dangerous opponents with no name value.

Elkins is being positioned to elevate prospects rather than himself.
It's sad too see Bektic get the fight he should have had vs a high ranking Lamas and blow by him in the ranks meanwhile he's going to season another prospect and still not get a top guy to advance him. Hopefully if he scores another tko ufc will give him a top 8 guy like loser of (Stephens/aldo) or (cub/moicano).

Seems like a good time to start a Darren Elkins war wagon

It's sad too see Bektic get the fight he should have had vs a high ranking Lamas and blow by him in the ranks meanwhile he's going to season another prospect and still not get a top guy to advance him. Hopefully if he scores another tko ufc will give him a top 8 guy like loser of (Stephens/aldo) or (cub/moicano).
Elkins also just beat Bermudez (3 fight losing streak), and Bermudez is main card on Saturday.

I love his fights but the guy is never gonna sell PPV's. Casuals won't get behind him no matter where the UFC puts him on the card.

He has crazy fights, he isn't the best but they could at least show him a bit of respect. This fight is co main worthy for a fight night like this imo it's a very meaningful fight in the division, at this point it isn't about appeasing casuals it's about giving these guys their fucking due.

It's also not all about Elkins either, Volkanovski is a very good prospect who is also buried on the prelims without any fucks given by the UFC.

Ok I just watched that fight with him vs Mirsad Bektic to see what the hype was about and that shit was incredible. A comeback outta nowhere and his expression at the end said it all. He’s a journeyman but goddamn I wanna see him succeed.

Ok I just watched that fight with him vs Mirsad Bektic to see what the hype was about and that shit was incredible. A comeback outta nowhere and his expression at the end said it all. He’s a journeyman but goddamn I wanna see him succeed.
That Bektic bout was one of the highlights of 2017 for sure. And yes Elkins is an easy guy to root for.

dudes a workhorse... you need to kill him with a pipe wrench to guarantee a win...

He has the worst tattoo I've ever seen, looks like something a nu metal kid would've scrawled on his school bag in 1999

He has crazy fights, he isn't the best but they could at least show him a bit of respect. This fight is co main worthy for a fight night like this imo it's a very meaningful fight in the division, at this point it isn't about appeasing casuals it's about giving these guys their fucking due.

It's also not all about Elkins either, Volkanovski is a very good prospect who is also buried on the prelims without any fucks given by the UFC.
Ok

Elkins is from Indiana. Get him to drive the pacecar for the 500 or the 400.

Hes not marketable in any way shape or form and that tattoo has ruined any chance he had.

Dude. The world is filled a bunch of dumbass fake tough guys who would love that tattoo.

And everyone enjoys a good underdog story, which is essentially everyone of Elkins fight. He had the record for most underdog victories in the UFC.

He's marketable, but it's the if .who isn't flexible with how they market fighters.

I can't believe a bunch of dudes on an MMA forum are dismissing fighters because they are ugly

The gay is real

I think the Polish Australian guy might upset him but stranger things have happened

Back