Multiplatform DEAD SPACE [REMAKE] has arrived (January 27th 2023)

I hope it made enough to justify a DS2 remake though. If you liked DS1 (have you played the remake yet?), you're going to love that! Check out the movies too, but be sure to watch in proper order to the games.

If its confirmed DS2 isn't getting remade I'll watch a walkthrough of it with graphical mods.

If its confirmed DS2 isn't getting remade I'll watch a walkthrough of it with graphical mods.

I do not mean this as an insult, merely an observation, but for someone that isn’t a PC gamer you seem to have an abnormal fixation on graphics. Like I’ve seen posts from you in the past saying that if you can’t play a game at 4K/60fps you’re not interested.

If that’s how you feel perhaps you should invest in a top of the line Big Dick killer PC to get the most out of graphics and performance.

I do not mean this as an insult, merely an observation, but for someone that isn’t a PC gamer you seem to have an abnormal fixation on graphics. Like I’ve seen posts from you in the past saying that if you can’t play a game at 4K/60fps you’re not interested.

If that’s how you feel perhaps you should invest in a top of the line Big Dick killer PC to get the most out of graphics and performance.

For a time I was highly considering spending BIG money on a gaming PC, but I don't want to feel obligated to spend ____ hours a week playing on it to get my money's worth.

For now, I'm very satisfied with my Series X, with few exceptions.

I can't find what their budget was, but I'm seeing that they sold it for the recent $10 hike on PS5/Xbox X AAA games, but the normal AAA price on PC.

I don't see how remaking something, near 1 to 1, needs to cost as much as a brand new IP, or new storyline from an existing one. Motive is very familiar with the Frostbite engine too.

I hope it made enough to justify a DS2 remake though. If you liked DS1 (have you played the remake yet?), you're going to love that! Check out the movies too, but be sure to watch in proper order to the games.
If you want to see it succeed enough to warrant a sequel then support it and buy it.

This is a ground up remake, not a resolution increase.

If you want to see it succeed enough to warrant a sequel then support it and buy it.

This is a ground up remake, not a resolution increase.

I don't agree on the price. The only voice we have is our wallet.

I don't agree on the price. The only voice we have is our wallet.
And the voice they’re going to hear is “we don’t want more.”

l@nd0

Gamers have got to the absolute worst consumers to deal with lol.

And the voice they’re going to hear is “we don’t want more.”

l@nd0

Gamers have got to the absolute worst consumers to deal with lol.
I don't think a near 1 to 1 remake warrants the same pricing as something like God of War Ragnorak.

I'll signal them when it gets a sale.

I don't think a near 1 to 1 remake warrants the same pricing as something like God of War Ragnorak.

Apparently the guy you were conversing with is saying there are too many changes from the original lol.

Just a wild train of thought to me.

“Oh man I hope this game does well enough to warrant a sequel”

“Are you going to support it?”

“Eh, maybe in a year or so.”

{<doc}

Apparently the guy you were conversing with is saying there are too many changes from the original lol.

Just a wild train of thought to me.

“Oh man I hope this game does well enough to warrant a sequel”

“Are you going to support it?”

“Eh, maybe in a year or so.”

{<doc}
lol, snarky Diz.

I don't see what's so wild in thinking they are over charging. I'd like to see it do it well, but if it's underselling in the early stages, that's on EA. I'm sure they'll see an uptick when it inevitably gets that 20% sale in a couple of months. That's when I'll pay what I think it's worth.

Havent checked in but has anyone downloaded a pc version, couldnt get it to launch, then found a way to launch it?

lol, snarky Diz.

I don't see what's so wild in thinking they are over charging. I'd like to see it do it well, but if it's underselling in the early stages, that's on EA. I'm sure they'll see an uptick when it inevitably gets that 20% sale in a couple of months. That's when I'll pay what I think it's worth.

It's on EA that they vastly overestimated a market that never really cared for "Dead Space" in the first place. I mean, it's nice that it's there and all, but here's a wacky idea...create a new survival horror IP, or a an actual sequel to DS. The original DS is fine as is for the most part. This whole model of banking on past glory, is ridiculous. We're supposed to support more remakes now? I couldn't give two shits if DS2 gets a remake, because DS2 is right there, and it's not some janky ass piece of shit that needs a remake. It's perfectly fine. It would be like remaking "The Avengers" movie, and cleaning up all the slightly dated CGI, and paying $20 to go see it.

These companies are preying on such low expectations. How 'bout they get back to creating new shit? The more I think about it...fuck these remakes. It's so lazy. You're essentially paying for mods.

It's on EA that they vastly overestimated a market that never really cared for "Dead Space" in the first place. I mean, it's nice that it's there and all, but here's a wacky idea...create a new survival horror IP, or a an actual sequel to DS. The original DS is fine as is for the most part. This whole model of banking on past glory, is ridiculous. We're supposed to support more remakes now? I couldn't give two shits if DS2 gets a remake, because DS2 is right there, and it's not some janky ass piece of shit that needs a remake. It's perfectly fine. It would be like remaking "The Avengers" movie, and cleaning up all the slightly dated CGI, and paying $20 to go see it.

These companies are preying on such low expectations. How 'bout they get back to creating new shit? The more I think about it...fuck these remakes. It's so lazy. You're essentially paying for mods.
I like remakes, especially reimaginings along the lines of older titles like Resident Evil 2 and FF7.

Dead Space and Last of Us style are also welcome, but charing the full price of a new IP doesn't feel right to me.

Most of those 360 era games can hold up. Just increasing the resolution does wonders. Coupled withpost processing effects (a good reshade too) and they look fairly modern. Polygons and facial features give away their age though.

I'm playing Lost Odyssey and Red Dead Repemption on the Xenia emulator. They look incredible.

@method115 you ever play Lost Odyssey? That's another victim of my corrupted 360 HD. I hated the loading times, but I loved it. I lost my progress on disc 4. So far It's running quickly and beautiful (some flickering) emulated.

Highlights of Act Man playing the first 4 hours.

I'd say he's in the Top 5 highest quality gaming YouTubers, and his original Dead Space video from four or five years ago is one of the best for displaying the greatness of that game.

Dead Space and Last of Us style are also welcome, but charing the full price of a new IP doesn't feel right to me.

TLOU Part 1 is basically a Remaster.

Dead Space 2023 is a full remake without it being a 'reimagining' like the RE2make. Its not just a graphical upgrade to modern standards, it contains new areas, new 'side-missions,' new & improved functions to weaponry, quality-of-life improvements its sequels had but the original didn't, and an excellent New Game + feature.

If you're cautious about paying full price I completely understand, so keep a look out for a price drop to $50 in a few months.

Regardless if you pay $70 or $50, its absolutely worth the price.

Look at my posts near the beginning of the thread. I was perhaps the most pessimistic poster in the thread and saying the games deserved to get remastered, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, but a remake being completely unnecessary.

So what changed my mind?

Not hype, because with the recent previews I was cautiously optimistic but intrigued.

Then the reviews started to roll in by reliable & trusted YouTubers like Sphere Hunter, One-Up, MrMattyPlays, GManLives, and first impressions from Act Man & the EFAP crew.

All were nearly unanimous praise, from those that played the original Dead Space many times over, saying phrases like...
'An early contender for GOTY'
'The best remake ever' (even better than REmake 2002)
'Quite possibly the best survival horror game ever.'

And having played through close to 2/3rds of it myself, I can endorce those opinions as genuine.

TLOU Part 1 is basically a Remaster.

Dead Space 2023 is a full remake without it being a 'reimagining' like the RE2make. Its not just a graphical upgrade to modern standards, it contains new areas, new 'side-missions,' new & improved functions to weaponry, quality-of-life improvements its sequels had but the original didn't, and an excellent New Game + feature.

If you're cautious about paying full price I completely understand, so keep a look out for a price drop to $50 in a few months.

Regardless if you pay $70 or $50, its absolutely worth the price.
Didn't they redo everything for the last of us PS5/PC, using the newer engine (reusing TLOU2 assets as well)? Or did they just upscale old assets and make some changes? I thought it was the former.

My whole thing with pricing of a near 1 to 1 remake, even if you're creating everything from scratch, is that a lot of the hard work is already done. Concept art, level design, gameplay mechanics, scripts, and story boarding/beats etc... Little of that needed to change for DS.

I'm not taking away from the hard work still required, or the creativity/engineering involved in improvements (no loading screens/seamless for DS for ex), but it's a development process a good chunk of time ahead of newer IP's.

Anyway, I'm not trying to force my opinion on others. Ultimately I'm just glad Dead Space is back in the convo. It would make an amazing tv series!

Didn't they redo everything for the last of us PS5/PC, using the newer engine (reusing TLOU2 assets as well)? Or did they just upscale old assets and make some changes? I thought it was the former.

They didn't bother to implement some of the gameplay advancements from Part 2 into Part 1, which would have been very welcome, from what I've heard in reviews.

Its technically a remake, but its basically a remaster.

My whole thing with pricing of a near 1 to 1 remake, even if you're creating everything from scratch, is that a lot of the hard work is already done. Concept art, level design, gameplay mechanics, scripts, and story boarding/beats etc... Little of that needed to change for DS.

Yeah, you're correct.

But what they've added & enhanced is impressive.

I'm not taking away from the hard work still required, or the creativity/engineering involved in improvements (no loading screens/seamless for DS for ex), but it's a development process a good chunk of time ahead of newer IP's.

Unfortunately newer IPs are risky business.

Given the history of success of the Dead Space franchise, I'm thankful EA took the risk of reviving it instead of leaving it dead.

As a fan of survival horror, and how its received limited financial success of anything not named Resident Evil, I viewed this as an opportunity to send a message to EA & other major publishers that these are the types of games I want.

The only way that message can be received is the sales numbers within the first month. Otherwise, the message is muted. Publishers don't care about sales of games that are in the discount bin.

Anyway, I'm not trying to force my opinion on others. Ultimately I'm just glad Dead Space is back in the convo.

Lets hope it stays in the convo, or else Dead Space may be dead forever.

It would make an amazing tv series!

That's an ENTIRELY different discussion, one that I have MANY thoughts about, especially after watching the prequel-anime movie Downfall a few days ago.

But with our luck, the retarded showrunners of the Netflix Resident Evil series, the Paramount Halo series, or Phoebe Waller Bridge would be in charge of it.

Even if it’s a 1:1 remake they’re remaking everything from scratch on a new engine. New models, new textures, they even did new music and voice recordings. So while it’s 1:1 there’s not really any “short cuts” or “savings” to be had here from a time, effort and production cost perspective for the developer. So there really isn’t any basis to say it should be cheaper to purchase.

Look at my posts near the beginning of the thread. I was perhaps the most pessimistic poster in the thread and saying the games deserved to get remastered, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, but a remake being completely unnecessary.

So what changed my mind?

Not hype, because with the recent previews I was cautiously optimistic but intrigued.

Then the reviews started to roll in by reliable & trusted YouTubers like Sphere Hunter, One-Up, MrMattyPlays, GManLives, and first impressions from Act Man & the EFAP crew.

All were nearly unanimous praise, from those that played the original Dead Space many times over, saying phrases like...
'An early contender for GOTY'
'The best remake ever' (even better than REmake 2002)
'Quite possibly the best survival horror game ever.'

And having played through close to 2/3rds of it myself, I can endorce those opinions as genuine.

I'm not commenting on the quality. Just the practice. Remakes are fine, but not when they become THE big deal within the industry. As good as a remake may be, it's sad when they become elevated to a gold standard of the industry. Yes, this remake may be great, but it's only because of the core fundamentals that were just copy and pasted...from 15 years ago. It speaks to a lack of creativity within the industry, if this game is a GOTY contender. I mean, we're not talking about bringing a janky PS1 game into the modern age, like the RE2 or even RE1 remakes. DS1 is totally fine in every way, other than some ill conceived moments, like the meteor mini game.

I mean, the original "Dead Space" was merely considered a "good" game with some neat ideas(like making the HUD seamless in it's use, as opposed to having a health bar and hitting the pause button to change equipment), but nothing all that special, and got lost in the shuffle of a plethora of amazing games upon its release. Now the remake is one of the best games of the year...in 2023. That just tells me that level of creativity industry wide, has regressed. This game should be a nice bonus for fans, and not ten times better than most games released today. If it is, then that's just sad.

Not saying people shouldn't support it, but going so far as to try and make it a staple in an effort to get more remakes, will just cause the industry to rely on past glory, rather than innovate. No matter how good this may be, 80% of the work was already done for them. I want new and innovative shit, and not a remixes of past glory.

Even if it’s a 1:1 remake they’re remaking everything from scratch on a new engine. New models, new textures, they even did new music and voice recordings. So while it’s 1:1 there’s not really any “short cuts” or “savings” to be had here from a time, effort and production cost perspective for the developer. So there really isn’t any basis to say it should be cheaper to purchase.

Im not discounting the new elements they added. They also made it seemless with new side quests. However, the short cuts and savings, compared to a new ip, are knowing pretty much exactly what to do for the large majority of the work that will have to be done.

Back