Multiplatform DEAD SPACE [REMAKE] has arrived (January 27th 2023)

Im not discounting the new elements they added. They also made it seemless with new side quests. However, the short cuts and savings, compared to a new ip, are knowing pretty much exactly what to do for the large majority of the work that will have to be done.

Sure, though without knowing anything about game development, or seeing their books, it’s hard to know or even estimate how any of this translates dollar wise.

I like this perception that fucking gigantic studios like EA can’t focus on more than one project at a time so if a remake is being produced we’ll never get anything new. I heard the same complaints about ND working on TLOU Remake when they have two new IP’s in the works. Not to mention these projects are often outsourced to other studios.

There are plenty of resources to go around and great new IP’s are still being produced. The pearl clutching over remakes has been going on for years and yet we still see plenty of new games every single one of them.

What’s funny is a lot of the times these remakes are better than sequels to established franchises. Ah, but it’s not a completely new story so therefore it’s a scourge on the industry. Give me a break.

A good game is a good game.

Last edited:
Look at my posts near the beginning of the thread. I was perhaps the most pessimistic poster in the thread and saying the games deserved to get remastered, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, but a remake being completely unnecessary.

So what changed my mind?

Not hype, because with the recent previews I was cautiously optimistic but intrigued.

Then the reviews started to roll in by reliable & trusted YouTubers like Sphere Hunter, One-Up, MrMattyPlays, GManLives, and first impressions from Act Man & the EFAP crew.

All were nearly unanimous praise, from those that played the original Dead Space many times over, saying phrases like...
'An early contender for GOTY'
'The best remake ever' (even better than REmake 2002)
'Quite possibly the best survival horror game ever.'

And having played through close to 2/3rds of it myself, I can endorce those opinions as genuine.
Couldn't have said it better myself. No idea how far in I am, but all I can say is that so far the atmosphere, attention to detail, and gameplay mechanics are all top notch. I LOVE how they keep introducing new mechanics. Very creative.

I had never played the original and the remake wasn’t really on my radar either but after hearing all the good things about it, I gave it a try. I’m hooked. I had to buy the original to compare. So far, I’m halfway through the original, keeping slightly ahead of my NG+ round in the remake for comparison. It’s so impressive how true to the feel of the original the remake is. It reworks and improves the experience in all the right areas without taking anything away, as a remake should. Amazing game. I’m glad I didn’t play the original before so I could experience it this way. I don’t even want to touch the sequel in hopes that it’ll be remade too.

Previously I had only been playing Dead Space for 1 to 2 hours at a time, but tonight I went on a marathon and completed the last few chapters with all the side-quests, and beat the game.

I was hesitant to recommend others to buy the game based on myself only playing half of it, and the highest endorsements of YouTube critics I trust. But now playing through in its completion I can say...

tenor.gif

*GOAT Horror game.
*GOAT Remake.
*And its so damn good I immediately started a New Game+ playthrough, and played 45 minutes of it.

Absolutely worth it at full price, or wait a few months for a price drop, but don't skip this.

Still haven't heard much about the sales for the game, but if its at least somewhat profitable they should greenlight a remake of the sequel. Just keep the same graphical standard and it should be cheaper to make. But time will tell.

I just completed this today. I got it on release day and decided to just take my time with it. I found the first couple hours to be quite slow and if I'm honest, a tad boring, however once I got to the medical bay part it got pretty great. I ended up loving it. A really satisfying survival horror

Was playing NewGame+ today, and it hit me. This isn't just 'horror' or 'Survival Horror.'

*Its Cosmic Horror - the antagonist is a Lovecraftian force from another planet that'd destroy humanity easily.

*Its Body Horror - The Necromorphs are former humans : practically bigger, faster, and deadlier zombies that are harder to kill and have more variety of threat.

*its Psychological Horror - The effect the marker has on everyone's mind within a certain unknown proximity slowly drives them into psycho-delusions, to either become murderously violent or be manipulated to do the marker's will.

*It Religous/Cult Horror - If you think Scientologists were a bit nutty, they don't have shit on Unitology. According to them, their 'god' demands the destruction of humanity via the necromorphs.

And with those multiple sub-genres combined into one narrative, it has the ultimate setting for it to take place in. The Ishimura surpassed RE1's Spencer Mansion & RE2's RPD as gaming's best horror setting, and its a combination of Alien's Nostromo, The Event Horizon, and... The Shinning's hotel?

Am I the only one that somehow was reminded of The Shinning?

Anyway, I never thought my praise for a game could be so high to say this - Its the best horror game ever, with the best horror narrative, & best horror setting.

I have no clue what is wrong with me. I'm honestly finding this a chore to get through, so much so that I deleted it from my PS5 storage for now. I may get back to it later but for some reason I just get bored after 20 minutes each time I load it up. I think it has something to do with repetitive enemies and every environment looking the same. I'm on chapter 6, 6:17:00 is my playtime and I'm burned out.

I can tell the game is really well made and know that plenty of people love this which makes me all the more disappointed that I can't get into it. I love the Resident Evil series so I don't think it being survival horror is the issue. Very bizarre that I can't love it. Don't know what else to say.

I have no clue what is wrong with me. I'm honestly finding this a chore to get through, so much so that I deleted it from my PS5 storage for now. I may get back to it later but for some reason I just get bored after 20 minutes each time I load it up. I think it has something to do with repetitive enemies and every environment looking the same. I'm on chapter 6, 6:17:00 is my playtime and I'm burned out.

I can tell the game is really well made and know that plenty of people love this which makes me all the more disappointed that I can't get into it. I love the Resident Evil series so I don't think it being survival horror is the issue. Very bizarre that I can't love it. Don't know what else to say.
You probably do just need to take a break.

Is normal

Bumping this thread to post Act Man's review he just uploaded.

His initial retro review of the original is what got me interested in the franchise.

Finished the story last night. Great game- kinda glad I had never played the original so everything was fresh for me for this remake.

Booted up Dead Space 2 on Steam (hadn't done it in a looooong time) - it still looks great- especially now that I can run it at 4K

Will be giving this a full playthrough now- I don't think I ever actually finished it back in the day.

Hitting the bargain bin already

Finally got this since the girl got me a ps5 for xmas.

God dammit. I'm awful at aiming, but its damn good. Got it for $20 too.

Fuck those cheap ass tentacles.

Finally got this since the girl got me a ps5 for xmas.

God dammit. I'm awful at aiming, but its damn good. Got it for $20 too.

Fuck those cheap ass tentacles.

Good thing when you get killed it doesn't send you back too far. The autosave was done very well.

IMHO, on Hard they should have sent you back all the way to your last save location. That would have added an extra layer of tension.

Back