Dec 11, 2010 can be viewed as the last day of the 'golden era' of the UFC.

Defanged

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck 2 took place on December 11, 2010. Look at every PPV from that point going back - it was enjoyable and fun.

Why ? Because there was no WMMA, no small weight classes, and there was not a Fight Night card every week which stole a PPV worthy fight as a headline.

Change is inevitable, I understand. I'm just saying Dec 11, 2010 is a good point to end the "golden era" of the UFC.

Sounds right about the last time I bought a PPV , makes sense

Your smoking bath salt if you don't think DJ is entertaining ..

SO what if the dude is smaller.. we get to see MMA flow at its fastest pace .. you might as well say Bruce Lee shouldn't have existed

Sounds like a good cut off date. I always kind of felt the writing on the wall at around shortly after UFC 100 in regards to how MMA and more specifically the UFC was not going down the best of paths and that it was changing for the worse generally.

You ever notice that no one really gives a shit what you think?

The MMA talent pool is deeper than it's ever been. Casual fans just can't keep up with all of the talent, and think that because there's so many unfamiliar names on every card that the cards are watered down.

I think that's too much of a blanket statement. Maybe things are currently not as entertaining as they were three/four years ago but almost all of that I would attribute to some degree of oversaturation (which is one of TS' points- too many cards). That said, UFC has a lot of talent so if it can justify putting on many cards, it should. They just have to do a better job of building interest and marketing the lesser known fighters.

2010 is a looong time ago. Using that as a cutoff is problematic because one of the points seems to be that it was pre WMMA and pre-smaller weight classes. But there was a reason why WEC was widely considered an awesome organization to watch on almost any given card. The smaller guys brought it- with exciting, fast-paced fights.

think of bouts like DJ vs. Uncle Creepy, DJ vs. JoeBen I and II, Faber vs. Cruz II, Dillashaw vs. Barao, Garbrandt vs. Cruz, Mendes vs. Aldo I and II, Aldo vs. Hominick, McGregor vs. Mendes there were a good number of 125/135/145 UFC fights that were awesome to watch.

Not to mention- the post 2010 integration of the WEC led to the inclusion of guys like Bendo, Cerrone, and Pettis into the UFC. How many entertaining fights have they been involved in?

Hell, bringing in Strikeforce guys happened after 2010 too. Rockhold, Jacare, Romero, Lawler- a bunch of still relevant fighters who had great performances and entertaining fights in the UFC.

I'm a fan of WMMA as well. So I don't think the inclusion of, hell, one or two women fights on a given card is a problem at all. If people's issue is the notion of a woman's fight that doesn't deliver headlining, well it happens. There are going to be dull fights from time to time.

Basically, I don't think we can look back on any period and completely say that was the golden age. MMA is still so relatively young and it is tough to make that type of assessment yet. Are some of the cards today uneventful by and large? Yeah. But that was the case six or seven years ago too.

tournaments were the golden age.. no whining, no crying, no pulling out.. just beat 3-4 guys in one night

UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck 2 took place on December 11, 2010. Look at every PPV from that point going back - it was enjoyable and fun.

Why ? Because there was no WMMA, no small weight classes, and there was not a Fight Night card every week which stole a PPV worthy fight as a headline.

Change is inevitable, I understand. I'm just saying Dec 11, 2010 is a good point to end the "golden era" of the UFC.
agreed. both those things have watered down the cards immensely to the point that I have quit buying cards and dropped fight pass. I thought the smaller weight classes would grow on me, but they didn't. I watch only the really stacked cards at my brother in law's and will read pbp's when there is a card with one or two fights I wanted to see.

Anderson was still wrecking shop after that date so no.

Christ on a cross, you're stupid.

Your smoking bath salt if you don't think DJ is entertaining ..

SO what if the dude is smaller.. we get to see MMA flow at its fastest pace .. you might as well say Bruce Lee shouldn't have existed

DJ is a great fighter.
But I want to see him fight the best, even if he already fought them.

Pretty soon they're going be looking for the toughest kindergarteners to fight MM.

DJ is a great fighter.
But I want to see him fight the best, even if he already fought them.

Pretty soon they're going be looking for the toughest kindergarteners to fight MM.

Well he is already fighting the best in his weight class .. and really it takes him fighting a bigger dude to even things out .. it gets washed down to much in my opinion from the size diff ..

but with that said I would like to see him face NO LOVE

Well he is already fighting the best in his weight class .. and really it takes him fighting a bigger dude to even things out .. it gets washed down to much in my opinion from the size diff ..

but with that said I would like to see him face NO LOVE

Until I see Benavidez lose to one of these guys you say "is the best", then no, they are not the best.

Wrong TS, that was still tainted with TUF garbage.

Feb 24, 2007 marks the end of the real golden era.
pride-33-mini-poster-dan-henderson_1_2c87056c00463df4d613c37dc62a9c2c.jpg

Until I see Benavidez lose to one of these guys you say "is the best", then no, they are not the best.

yeah ok .. but even he lost to DJ twice .. so DJ is/has faced the best 125'ers .. so where are the better 125 you speak of ?

yeah ok .. but even he lost to DJ twice .. so DJ is/has faced the best 125'ers .. so where are the better 125 you speak of ?

I think you missed my point...
He should have fought Joe B 8x by now instead of fighting guys that can't beat Joe B

Back