Dec 11, 2010 can be viewed as the last day of the 'golden era' of the UFC.

I think you missed my point...
He should have fought Joe B 8x by now instead of fighting guys that can't beat Joe B

well cejudo was dam close to beating JoeB .. and I'm sure we'll see a JoeB III and a Cejudo II against DJ ..

maybe we can get a JoeB vs. Cejudo II in the meantime

I don't think a DJ vs. JoeB VIII would sell good at all ..especially if its DJ 8-0

mma fans never know what they want

fw (even bw), wec, strikeforce were all good additions, but yeah wmma and ly weight fuck up most of the good fight cards

The 'depth' of exciting fights on most cards has definitely suffered in recent times.

UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck 2 took place on December 11, 2010. Look at every PPV from that point going back - it was enjoyable and fun.

Why ? Because there was no WMMA, no small weight classes, and there was not a Fight Night card every week which stole a PPV worthy fight as a headline.

Change is inevitable, I understand. I'm just saying Dec 11, 2010 is a good point to end the "golden era" of the UFC.

Your title is wrong. You should say "Golden Era for PPV", not the UFC. Fight Night cards don't have anything to do with UFC having a large quantity of good fights or doing well financially. One can argue that it is better to have UFC fights more often for enjoyment on most weekends through the year.

Wrong TS, that was still tainted with TUF garbage.

Feb 24, 2007 marks the end of the real golden era.
pride-33-mini-poster-dan-henderson_1_2c87056c00463df4d613c37dc62a9c2c.jpg
I was at 32... I felt like a kid at Willy Wonkas that night...:D

Pride was better but todays UFC is better than UFCin 2010.

We has less rules now and better fighters.

UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck 2 took place on December 11, 2010. Look at every PPV from that point going back - it was enjoyable and fun.

Why ? Because there was no WMMA, no small weight classes, and there was not a Fight Night card every week which stole a PPV worthy fight as a headline.

Change is inevitable, I understand. I'm just saying Dec 11, 2010 is a good point to end the "golden era" of the UFC.

It's so clear you're relatively new to the sport... because there were a shit tone of boring ass cards before Dec 11, 2010.

I think that's too much of a blanket statement. Maybe things are currently not as entertaining as they were three/four years ago but almost all of that I would attribute to some degree of oversaturation (which is one of TS' points- too many cards). That said, UFC has a lot of talent so if it can justify putting on many cards, it should. They just have to do a better job of building interest and marketing the lesser known fighters.

2010 is a looong time ago. Using that as a cutoff is problematic because one of the points seems to be that it was pre WMMA and pre-smaller weight classes. But there was a reason why WEC was widely considered an awesome organization to watch on almost any given card. The smaller guys brought it- with exciting, fast-paced fights.

think of bouts like DJ vs. Uncle Creepy, DJ vs. JoeBen I and II, Faber vs. Cruz II, Dillashaw vs. Barao, Garbrandt vs. Cruz, Mendes vs. Aldo I and II, Aldo vs. Hominick, McGregor vs. Mendes there were a good number of 125/135/145 UFC fights that were awesome to watch.

Not to mention- the post 2010 integration of the WEC led to the inclusion of guys like Bendo, Cerrone, and Pettis into the UFC. How many entertaining fights have they been involved in?

Hell, bringing in Strikeforce guys happened after 2010 too. Rockhold, Jacare, Romero, Lawler- a bunch of still relevant fighters who had great performances and entertaining fights in the UFC.

I'm a fan of WMMA as well. So I don't think the inclusion of, hell, one or two women fights on a given card is a problem at all. If people's issue is the notion of a woman's fight that doesn't deliver headlining, well it happens. There are going to be dull fights from time to time.

Basically, I don't think we can look back on any period and completely say that was the golden age. MMA is still so relatively young and it is tough to make that type of assessment yet. Are some of the cards today uneventful by and large? Yeah. But that was the case six or seven years ago too.

Well said. Also, as good as GSP's jab clinic at UFC 124 was, UFC 122 & 123 had main events that were devoid of any action and belong in the trash heap of history.

nah. golden age is right now, maybe it just ended... last year was pretty phenomenal. I think it ends with conor transcending the sport. back then there was brock, gsp and silva and other elite guys, but talent was still quite shallow, still fairly formative I think.

I love the smaller weight classes....wmma not so much.

Your smoking bath salt if you don't think DJ is entertaining ..

SO what if the dude is smaller.. we get to see MMA flow at its fastest pace .. you might as well say Bruce Lee shouldn't have existed

lol, no

Remember when people said that bringing in a 155 division would suck? Now it's seen as the most competitive. Well if the champ is actually defending it would be. 125 can be and is exciting.

Back