Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 8] - MMA 'Cans', The Unsung Heroes...

I wouldn't really call many, if any fighters in higher orgs cans. Pride might have had a few jobbers, but it's way more prevalent on regional cards it seems. These guys who have records like 1-22 and shit like that.

MMA isn’t as bad as boxing in terms of how a record is compiled and perceived, but it still has its problems.

What I mean is that in boxing, a typical fighter will have many amateur fights, turn pro and get slowly built-up (against increasingly tough but beatable opponents), and then, with a 20-0 record, fight for one of the hundred or so belts that’s up for grabs.

If and when a boxer is in trouble in a fight, his corner or the ref is more likely to stop the fight early, to save the fighter from himself. If he loses a fight, he’ll get 1-2 rebound fights to build himself back up. If and when he loses a few fights, and has a 24-3 record, he’s considered washed up and the audience /pundits /promoters move on.

In MMA, where there isn’t a well-develooed amateur circuit, many fighters turn pro with little or no amateur experience. While many do have the chance to be brought along slowly on the regional scene, far too often they have to take what they can get - meaning short-notice fights, including a call-up to the big leagues.

Before long, the young MMA fighters are thrust into a sport where there is a culture of no rebound fights, no “throwing in the towel”, and where negotiating for a better deal / more favorable match-up is seen as cowardly rather than strategic. Fans can overlook a big number of losses as long as a fighter seems willing to fight anyone / anywhere - like Matt Brown, Donald Cerrone, etc.

However, many of the more casual fans will overlook the substance of a career and focus only on the results. I’m not saying that everyone should watch every fight out there, but if you only go by results, then you would think Henderson-Shogun was just another fight.

The point of my (very long) post is that I agree with the OP - while results are a very real metric by which to measure a career, they only tell a part of the story. To dismiss the whole story is as disrespectful as calling a fighter a “can” - it’s lazy, mindless, and dishonorable.

Guys that were once considered the best in the world or close to it are now considered overrated or cans by people that didn't watch them in their time. Makes me want to go full Mark Coleman on people.

Great threads by the way @gono btw

I completely agree with both of these posts. You constantly hear people talk about anderson and Gsps defenses coming against cans. Every single one of those guys earned their title shot and were ranked at the time. Just because these opponents fell off later in their careers does not reflect the skill they possessed.

I wouldn't really call many, if any fighters in higher orgs cans. Pride might have had a few jobbers, but it's way more prevalent on regional cards it seems. These guys who have records like 1-22 and shit like that.

Boxing has quite a few guys with similar records. However, fans of the sport show those guys respect. There is an understanding that those guys are the bread and butter of the sport. Without the Reggie Stricklands of the world, we would not have the the hype around "undefeated contenders" or prospects.

But, within MMA, the fans trash those guys. I'm not sure why.

Magomed Magomedov, very game in his fight vs Khabib (arguably won that fight imo)...
Such an interesting skill set...

Very close fight. I think I might also have Magomed edging it. He definitely out struck Khabib on the feet. He couldn't stop Khabib's takedowns but he had a sick guard off his back. The only time Khabib got to a dominant position was the last few seconds of the 1st round when he finally passed his guard and then in the second round, when he landed some knees from side control, before I guess they go out of bounds and ref resets to the middle? Very impressive performance from Magomed. I really like his game too. Beautiful kicks and nice guard.

Really good fight. Two very skilled fighters with completely opposite styles.

Very close fight. I think I might also have Magomed edging it. He definitely out struck Khabib on the feet. He couldn't stop Khabib's takedowns but he had a sick guard off his back. The only time Khabib got to a dominant position was the last few seconds of the 1st round when he finally passed his guard and then in the second round, when he landed some knees from side control, before I guess they go out of bounds and ref resets to the middle? Very impressive performance from Magomed. I really like his game too. Beautiful kicks and nice guard.

Really good fight. Two very skilled fighters with completely opposite styles.

gono btw rounds 7 clap thumb.gif

Poor Gono was played, tho... edited version... had to reassess that fight with a new version...

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-european-career-the-magomedov-fight.3968083/

I don't think it is far to call Akira Shoji a can. Sure, the guy had a skill limit, but he gave hard fights to Vovchanchyn, Mezger, Coleman.....a can would have been utterly smashed.
Same with Matsui. Dude was fed to the wolves nearly ever fight in Pride but was tough as nails and had a solid skill set. Not to mention he has one of the greatest upset wins in MMA over Pele.

Last edited:
Same with Matsui. Dude was fed to the wolves nearly ever fight in Pride but was tough as nails and had a solid skill set. Not to mention he has one of the greatest upset wins in MMA over Pele.
if you ever seen the ring covered in blood,its usually cos matsui had a match earlier in the day.

@gono btw they callin people cans in this thread!

ALERT

FORM VOLTRON

if you ever seen the ring covered in blood,its usually cos matsui had a match earlier in the day.
Yeah, he took some hellacious beatings in Pride. But look at who he fought. Sanae Kikuta (possibly the most underrated Japanese fighter ever), Carlos Newton, Wanderlei, Vovchanchyn, and Vitor all before his 10th pro fight. How many fighters during that time could come away with victories over that list? Not too many.

Yeah, he took some hellacious beatings in Pride. But look at who he fought. Sanae Kikuta (possibly the most underrated Japanese fighter ever), Carlos Newton, Wanderlei, Vovchanchyn, and Vitor all before his 10th pro fight. How many fighters during that time could come away with victories over that list? Not too many.
Yes, He should have never been booked against those guys haha

Yes, He should have never been booked against those guys haha
Very true. Gotta love the Pride way by throwing their guys at the best and seeing what happens lol.

Boxing has quite a few guys with similar records. However, fans of the sport show those guys respect. There is an understanding that those guys are the bread and butter of the sport. Without the Reggie Stricklands of the world, we would not have the the hype around "undefeated contenders" or prospects.

But, within MMA, the fans trash those guys. I'm not sure why.

Well the problem in either sport is when your resume is primarily built on wins over jobbers, it's not really a true representation of skill level.

A lot of the people I've seen called cans over the years are really what you'd term journeymen. John Alessio is someone that's been mentioned in this thread and I'd say he's a good example of it. He's someone who struggled to make an impact in the big leagues, but usually gave higher ranked guys a tough fight and didn't go away easily. If he was in there with a genuine can himself, he'd win rather easily.

Cans are the guys that Bellator brings in to feed to it's developing fighters who it's trying to build records for as they sign people far earlier in their careers than the UFC would.

Outside of CM Punk, Mike Jackson and a couple of WMMA fighters, I don't believe anybody who's fought for the UFC in the last 10 years could really be labelled a can.

Can is a losely thrown around word that should only be used to describe the real bottom of the barrel fighters, the ones that not only have a bad record but have barely any skills at fighting and never learn from their mistakes.

In pride some cans imo were

Matsui
Anjo
Takada
Shoji
Diet butcher

Matsui- The great Pele Landi came to Pride in a blaze of glory, having finished both Matt Hughes and Pat Miletich in consecutive fights. He (deservedly) lost his Pride debut to Matsui.

Anjo- Yes, he was terrible.

Takada- Yes, he was terrible.

Shoji- When he got older, he fell hard. But he was a good fighter and tough opponent. He drew with Renzo, finished Wallid, got decisions over Mezger and Braga. Shoji was solid, he was good.

The_36th_Chamber_of_Shaolin_10.gif

Matsui- The great Pele Landi came to Pride in a blaze of glory, having finished both Matt Hughes and Pat Miletich in consecutive fights. He (deservedly) lost his Pride debut to Matsui.

Anjo- Yes, he was terrible.

Takada- Yes, he was terrible.

Shoji- When he got older, he fell hard. But he was a good fighter and tough opponent. He drew with Renzo, finished Wallid, got decisions over Mezger and Braga. Shoji was solid, he was good.
Agreed.

Very true. Gotta love the Pride way by throwing their guys at the best and seeing what happens lol.
to be fair, they had to build a new market, transition to a new model...kindah tricky to assess who´s gonna be legit or not... SAKU G., Shoji, Fujita etc... showed they were, because they were given the opportunity..

Back