News Demetrious Johnson bow and arrow chokes 6’3” 250 lbs Brown Belt Sherdogger at IBJJF Championships

It seems like they are trying to promote the larger opponent as the bad guy with that title. They should include MM's MMA record & mention his multiple UFC title defenses.

Yes I'm sure big dudes on the street would be more capable than an ultra heavy brown belt pan champ, American national champ, and no gi world medalist.

All jokes aside, honestly, I don't see why DJ chooses to fight in masters 2. I don't think most adult browns can hang with him. I'd at least do masters 1 (you get lots of killers in there still). Anyone who wins at that level is a beast regardless of age tho.
Yeah but what if it's a big dude AND he's under 36???

He qualifies for Masters 2 so winning tournaments is good for his socials for sure, this is also in line with him continually defending the flyweight title in a very shallow and beyond cleaned out division when he should have for sure moved up (and the UFC should have paid him for it but if he got champ champ for sure big money would have followed). I think he would struggle at brown belt adult in the gi for sure, lot of dudes at brown who are already as good as many blackbelts but with the right brackets he could get on the podium. It would be cool if he did world masters and regular worlds, since they're both separate events he could challenge himself with adult but still not miss out on the medals from masters.

Here is DJ tapping out trained 250lbs athletes who are actively at the top of Pan Ams, and yet there are those who claim an untrained person or bodybuilder would have a shot.

It's as if UFC 1 never happened, and we didn't learn anything from the Gracies or guys like Nakai, Minowa, etc. What happened when GSP wrestled 265lbs Laraque? What happened when Minowa fought Hong Man Choi, or Butterbean? And those are trained athletes who were very proficient in combat sports.

I swear people are so stupid it's unbelievable.

The best is that people actually have the proof now and still think an untrained big guy could beat him lol

He qualifies for Masters 2 so winning tournaments is good for his socials for sure, this is also in line with him continually defending the flyweight title in a very shallow and beyond cleaned out division when he should have for sure moved up (and the UFC should have paid him for it but if he got champ champ for sure big money would have followed). I think he would struggle at brown belt adult in the gi for sure, lot of dudes at brown who are already as good as many blackbelts but with the right brackets he could get on the podium. It would be cool if he did world masters and regular worlds, since they're both separate events he could challenge himself with adult but still not miss out on the medals from masters.
If he ain't trained then he gets bodied

That's what my coaches do. They'll do masters for big comps and adult the rest of the year

He won world masters already and had a stacked div. This was pans so he faced real ones here too. Gold and silver results are really good here.

I think in no gi he'd smoke most adult brown belts but gi would definitely be hit or miss. I think he still gets the podium consistently tho. Watching his matches, he's just so technical and fast. Even by normal standards at that weight.

Here is DJ tapping out trained 250lbs athletes who are actively at the top of Pan Ams, and yet there are those who claim an untrained person or bodybuilder would have a shot.

It's as if UFC 1 never happened, and we didn't learn anything from the Gracies or guys like Nakai, Minowa, etc. What happened when GSP wrestled 265lbs Laraque? What happened when Minowa fought Hong Man Choi, or Butterbean? And those are trained athletes who were very proficient in combat sports.

I swear people are so stupid it's unbelievable.

HAHAHA and this is why there are very few people I'll have an actual conversation with about any sports.

Very shallow? He beat Baugatinov, Moraga, Benavidez twice, Dodson, Horiguchi, Torres, Cejudo (should have been x 2)... People have a bias against lower weight divisions, but flyweight had many top contenders that DJ beat. Look at their records.

That is the most brain dead question anyone has ever asked me on here. That's quite the achievement. It is so uniquely stupid on so many levels. Congratulations, you've somehow lowered my opinion of the human race even further.

1) you cannot be a 6 year old black belt. That's fucking stupid

2) a fully developed adult is incomparable to a child

3) the vast majority of experience bjj and mma athletes would destroy almost any untrained individual regardless of size. Being big gives just them a punchers chance.

Who needs comedians when you have idiots of that caliber.

You guys seem to be very confident about something that is at the very least not set in stone.

This is now proof?

Do you know that goof Bradley Martyn has videos where he gets tossed around by a brown belt (nearly as big as him) people love to watch, but also videos where he brutally smothers and taps out several blue and purple belts who are also 180+ lbs.

Genki Sudo beat Butterbean, so now he beats any 300 lbs fighter etc etc because of what...mma math? Is Butterbean an elite athlete? Don't forget he beat alot of heavier MMA fighters as well.

Does this apply to women fighters as well? Can Joanna or Rose beat an aggressive 230 lbs adult man?

Also seems like on the little guy side people are always pointing out all universe outliers i.e. the literally best fighters in the world who are small, that's a little different then just people who train... most of which still can't fight.

the vast majority of experience bjj and mma athletes would destroy almost any untrained individual regardless of size. Being big gives just them a punchers chance.

MM is more than a great fighter, he's a fantastic MMA warrior that destroyed his ufc division like he owned it. He STILL rocks his world the same way he left Dana-land making a proud statement of his character... DJ is a Winner !

MM is more than a great fighter, he's a fantastic MMA warrior that destroyed his ufc division like he owned it. He STILL rocks his world the same way he left Dana-land making a proud statement of his character... DJ is a Winner !
No lies detected

the bow and arrow choke is the epitome of using leverage (and also utilizing the gi for grips not nroamlly available) in BJJ. Ive won many tournaments by submitting evey opponent with the same closed guard sweep or back take (a la roger gracie) and then a bow and arrow choke.

You guys seem to be very confident about something that is at the very least not set in stone.

This is now proof?

Do you know that goof Bradley Martyn has videos where he gets tossed around by a brown belt (nearly as big as him) people love to watch, but also videos where he brutally smothers and taps out several blue and purple belts who are also 180+ lbs.

Genki Sudo beat Butterbean, so now he beats any 300 lbs fighter etc etc because of what...mma math? Is Butterbean an elite athlete? Don't forget he beat alot of heavier MMA fighters as well.

Does this apply to women fighters as well? Can Joanna or Rose beat an aggressive 230 lbs adult man?

Also seems like on the little guy side people are always pointing out all universe outliers i.e. the literally best fighters in the world who are small, that's a little different then just people who train... most of which still can't fight.

Show me several videos of Martyn tapping out purple belts please.

You know there is a difference between an average blue purple belt and MM, right?

Very shallow? He beat Baugatinov, Moraga, Benavidez twice, Dodson, Horiguchi, Torres, Cejudo (should have been x 2)... People have a bias against lower weight divisions, but flyweight had many top contenders that DJ beat. Look at their records.
Good wins for sure but when I said he cleaned it out he certainly did, Roy Borg on a 2 fight win streak? Reis on a 3 fight win streak? Tim Elliot too they basically created a season of TUF because there was nobody left for him to fight. Benavidez, Baugatinov was real hot at the time, Cejudo (I do believe he beat him both times as well) and even young Horiguchi definitely some good wins, but yes flyweight was relatively shallow and while it might not be as bad as light heavyweight and heavyweight it definitely has always been pretty shallow, partially because they have a lot less fighters in the division. DJ beat a lot of great guys but he should have for sure moved up after the first Cejudo fight... I think we all as fans would have loved to see it.

If he ain't trained then he gets bodied

That's what my coaches do. They'll do masters for big comps and adult the rest of the year

He won world masters already and had a stacked div. This was pans so he faced real ones here too. Gold and silver results are really good here.

I think in no gi he'd smoke most adult brown belts but gi would definitely be hit or miss. I think he still gets the podium consistently tho. Watching his matches, he's just so technical and fast. Even by normal standards at that weight.
I'm not interested in the MMA fighter vs untrained guy debate it is very stupid and nobody on here will have their mind changed (yes for the record I am of the opinion that DJ would easily run through a big average Joe in a fight).

I just find it funny that people DJ beating guys in master 2 openweight as evidence he would beat street toughs as if him competing in open weight and winning means size doesn't matter, but he won't compete against anybody younger than him so on the flip side you could use a similar rationale to argue that he thinks age matters and if the guy is younger maybe he would have a much better chance against him (I don't actually think this).

It would be cool if they gave DJ an ADCC invite, I hope he keeps competing in grappling and tries at least one adult category. Lots of guys over 30 actually do perform well in adult.

The best is that people actually have the proof now and still think an untrained big guy could beat him lol
Prime Brian Shaw or Hafthor Bjornsson, at 6'8, 440lbs. A tank like that could sit on a bench and wait for MM to try whatever. Can't be taken down, can't reach their head, can't arm bar, absolutely can't triangle... I wonder if a fresh MM could even choke a goliath like that. Their necks are the size of his torso ffs.
Hafthor retired from strongman, took boxing and lost about 100lbs in a bit over a year. Now he's back to strongman and huge again. Even more dangerous.

I'm not interested in the MMA fighter vs untrained guy debate it is very stupid and nobody on here will have their mind changed (yes for the record I am of the opinion that DJ would easily run through a big average Joe in a fight).

I just find it funny that people DJ beating guys in master 2 openweight as evidence he would beat street toughs as if him competing in open weight and winning means size doesn't matter, but he won't compete against anybody younger than him so on the flip side you could use a similar rationale to argue that he thinks age matters and if the guy is younger maybe he would have a much better chance against him (I don't actually think this).

It would be cool if they gave DJ an ADCC invite, I hope he keeps competing in grappling and tries at least one adult category. Lots of guys over 30 actually do perform well in adult.
I'm with you. It looks like at the least he'll keep doing big tournaments. Hopefully he branches out and takes on more challenges. I don't doubt he will. DJ has shown to be up for pretty much whatever

Back