Demetrious Johnson reveals shocking pay during UFC run: ‘That’s where that chip on my shoulder came

Wage share is certainly an issue, but it wasn't the issue addressed in my comment, it wasn't the issue addressed in the OP, and it wasn't even the issue addressed by MM. MM is essentially suggesting that there is (or should be) a direct correlation between number of defenses (i.e., greatness) and pay.
You can't separate what a fighter makes from overall wage share. That would be really illogical. As far as earning more based on title defenses, keep in mind standard UFC contracts almost always give an escalator for winning your fights. That's the UFC's logic, not MM's.
He fails to understand (or chooses not to accept) that pay is directly correlated to revenue generated. MM wasn't a draw. Like I said earlier, the PPVs he headlined typically resulted in 115-125K buys, which is atrocious.
So let's make this simple. What percent of a 125K PPV's revenue do you think MM generated and what percent should he have received. 5%? 10%? If you don't have an idea of what percent of revenue a headliner deserves, then you can't argue that they are underpaid or overpaid.
And in the end, MM avoided the TJ fight so he could fight a far inferior opponent (Borg), and he did it for the same low wage share.
He avoided the fight because the UFC refused to pay him more to do more work and also refused to guarantee some of his purse up front in the event that TJ missed weight. I can't really fault him for those desires given TJ utterly shit the bed when he actually moved down to FLW. Let's make this simple econ: why would an economic actor do a harder task for the same pay? That's on the UFC for shitty incentives.
Arlovski
Frank Mir
Anthony Johnson

UFC 227
T.J. Dillashaw
Cody Garbrandt

UFC 186
Quinton Jackson
Michael Bisping

UFC 178
Dominick Cruz
Donald Cerrone
Eddie Alvarez
Conor McGregor
Dustin Poirier
Yoel Romero
Tim Kennedy

UFC 197
Jon Jones
Anthony Pettis
Yup, literally none of these fighters were draws at the time. Conor was still pre-drawing prime and Jones is the only fighter DJ was paired with who was an actual draw. Let's not even talk about how past his drawing days Jackson was by the time he fought Maldonado.

Hate to say it but DJ wasn't a draw, not even a small draw. CM Punk is horrendous and had no business being in the UFC but is more of a draw than Mighty Mouse. DJ cards usually got around 115 and 125k buys and that was the bare minimum back then. For comparison Dillashaw vs Soto did 125k buys.

They tried to promote DJ and let him headline a bunch of events but it didn't work so sadly they gave up on him. Really sucks how he went out because he's one of the best fighters the UFC has had.

Odd since MM is the size of some of boxing most popular fighters through history. Sounds like it's shitty promoting to blame.
I'm sorry but no.

Dana was consistently saying he thought DJ was the p4p best in the world. You know who never agreed with that? All the fans here.

They gave him top billing in PPVs, they tanked. Top billing on free cards... tanked in ratings. I'd come on here and what were people saying? "Didn't watch.. manlets"

You can't expect a promoter to somehow manifest fan interest; it just doesn't work like that. Somehow a charasmatic irishman can say "what da fook" and theres 30 threads about it and gifs and memes, but DJ flying armbars a guy with 1 second left in the fight and it was basically crickets.

Shitty promoting? Tell me what they could have done to change peoples' minds. Look at some of the very people in this thread. And keep in mind this was 8-10 years ago.... when even more fans felt like 125 should be discarded completely. Seems like people have gone away from that finally. Maybe in 8-10 more years a flyweight will be a mega star, but it just wasn't ever gonna be DJ. I don't know what else a promoter can do than say "this guy is the best" and try to sell him as a headliner.

They gave him top billing in PPVs, they tanked. Top billing on free cards... tanked in ratings. I'd come on here and what were people saying? "Didn't watch.. manlets"
Giving someone top billing isn't how you make a draw in combat sports. You have to develop rivals for them and ideally get them to fight another draw. That's how nearly every combat sports draw was made. Notice how the UFC never bothered to develop the division around MM?
You can't expect a promoter to somehow manifest fan interest
That's literally a promoter's job. Make. Fans. Interested. It's not a science, but it's pretty clear the UFC half assed MM and the FLWs.
Shitty promoting? Tell me what they could have done to change peoples' minds.
-Lean more into MM and gaming
-Learn how to promote fighters beyond the archetype of "hey, he talks trash, pay attention"
-Spotlight the division more (I actually don't blame the UFC for how the FLW tournament was bungled)
-Promote FLW title challengers more
-Sign every FLW you can, instead of constantly cutting them en masse and having to rebuild the division and its storylines
-Pair him up with an existing PPV draw: Boxing did this with even smaller fighters and got decent results. They only did this once with DJ
-A little out of the box, but one of the issues with mma is that camera angles from above the cage make fighters look smaller than they are. This could probably be fixed.
-Shit, the UFC could have probably drummed up interest by doing another tournament with a million dollar prize or some silly gimmick. Works in pro wrestling, which is the same business model.

There's also the larger issue of the UFC doesn't really know how to make stars (aka the job of a promoter), rather they just hop on the bandwagon after the fact.

I usually don't care about fighter pay, but MM is making some solids points here. This said, the fans are also at fault, because they didn't really care too much about him, even though he was/is a great fighter.

Hate to say it but DJ wasn't a draw, not even a small draw. CM Punk is horrendous and had no business being in the UFC but is more of a draw than Mighty Mouse. DJ cards usually got around 115 and 125k buys and that was the bare minimum back then. For comparison Dillashaw vs Soto did 125k buys.

They tried to promote DJ and let him headline a bunch of events but it didn't work so sadly they gave up on him. Really sucks how he went out because he's one of the best fighters the UFC has had.

What could MM do to become a draw though? Talk like Conor? Increase his size to 6'0?

Did he have to become a Rumble or a Rampage?

Last edited:
200k buys is 600k revenue for the UFC, plus another half million or more for gate, then sponsors. In other words, paying MM a million for a 200k PPV is giving him a third of revenue. Not an unreasonable ask unless you're in mma apparently.

Not to mention the UFC shit the bed with promoting MM and FLW
200k is mostly because it's a ufc event. it's basically a baseline number, almost as low as you can get. so mighty mouse had little or nothing to do with most of those buys

What could MM do to become a draw though? Talk like Conor? Increase his size to 6'0?
I don't think the blame fully falls on DJ. There was no Conor type characters in the division and still isn't. I think it being the smallest division and also it being formed by having a tournament of former Bantamweights kind of lessened it as well. It started off as UFC Bantamweights trying their luck at a new division so I think it took quite a while to feel like a real division to people.

In DJ's case yeah in terms of him wanting to be paid well sadly he should have put on a bit of a persona Colby or Cejudo style. He didn't have to go that far but he could have promoted himself a tiny bit. I also think him not wanting to fight at 135 hurt his stock as well. At one point he was talking about being too small for 135.

he was a tiny little lad and could not draw any numbers. If he was more popular and pulled big numbers he would have got better contracts.

I don't think the blame fully falls on DJ. There was no Conor type characters in the division and still isn't. I think it being the smallest division and also it being formed by having a tournament of former Bantamweights kind of lessened it as well. It started off as UFC Bantamweights trying their luck at a new division so I think it took quite a while to feel like a real division to people.

In DJ's case yeah in terms of him wanting to be paid well sadly he should have put on a bit of a persona Colby or Cejudo style. He didn't have to go that far but he could have promoted himself a tiny bit. I also think him not wanting to fight at 135 hurt his stock as well. At one point he was talking about being too small for 135.

Do you know what numbers DJ vs. Cejudo did? Because it always takes two to tango. Anderson wasn't that popular until he got a few defenses in and then his feuds with Vitor and Chael started, which really made him a star. DJ never had this big feud/foe, or was it Cejudo?

People on here seriously think you can magically promote a guy into having charisma and connecting with the audience. Some people just dont have it

Whats weird is sherdog doesnt even have MM ranked in the top 10….but Matt Schnell is # 9 lol

Mighty Mouse was the worst treated UFC Champion of the modern era. I still don't forgive the UFC for how they treated him, the Cejudo decision, them trading him away for Askren and not wanting to pay to keep Horiguchi. I THOUGHT THE BEST FOUGHT THE BEST IN THE UFC?
I forget about the Cejudo gift decision. But that right there should show people that the ufc does in fact control the judges. Can't let MM leave as the current champ.

I understand a lot of people say no one wants to watch manlets yet somehow Floyd is the highest paid boxer of all time. I think there must a way to get casuals into it
I believe if the ufc did their job as a promotor and promote dj the right way, he would be more famous

Whats weird is sherdog doesnt even have MM ranked in the top 10….but Matt Schnell is # 9 lol

Rankings are kinda this default thing that mostly just orbits around the UFC. Anyone who watches MMA and knows fighting can see guys like Kyoji and Mighty Mouse beat a lot of UFC top 10 fighters...Maybe all of them. Truth is there's plenty of world class guys outside the UFC, Schnell wouldn't touch a title in ACA, I mean he'd get worked by a lot of guys outside the UFC.

Rankings are really just UFC rankings and the UFC barely signs Flyweights and doesn't give a shit about the division. But remember the UFC has basically all the best guys! Kek.

Rankings are kinda this default thing that mostly just orbits around the UFC. Anyone who watches MMA and knows fighting can see guys like Kyoji and Mighty Mouse beat a lot of UFC top 10 fighters...Maybe all of them. Truth is there's plenty of world class guys outside the UFC, Schnell wouldn't touch a title in ACA, I mean he'd get worked by a lot of guys outside the UFC.

Rankings are really just UFC rankings and the UFC barely signs Flyweights and doesn't give a shit about the division. But remember the UFC has basically all the best guys! Kek.
Yeah but sherdog has vadim nemkov as #1 LHW over glover, jiri and akalaev.

Yeah but sherdog has vadim nemkov as #1 LHW over glover, jiri and akalaev.[/QUOTKeke.

Thats odd, I just look at Tapology. Not because the rankings are better or worse but the interface is so much more useful. Sometimes I look on the UFC website simply because it's relevant for matchmaking.

People on here seriously think you can magically promote a guy into having charisma and connecting with the audience. Some people just dont have it

Yeah, no matter how much you promote, Shockmaster never gained any traction

Back