• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Dems deal Obama huge defeat on trade. Fast track legislation fails 302-126.

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In a blow to President Barack Obama’s trade agenda, the House easily defeated a measure to help workers displaced by free trade known as Trade Adjustment Assistance. The aid package was critical to securing Democratic support for fast-track trade authority for the president, which he’s seeking to complete the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact. The vote was 126-302.

The vote came after President Barack Obama, in a last-ditch effort, went to the Capitol Friday and asked House Democrats to “play it straight” on a decisive vote just hours away.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/barack-obama-capitol-hill-trade-deal-118927.html#ixzz3cs92BCuk

Watching Fox Business and one guest said this vote shows that it isn't President Obama's democratic party anymore, its Elizabeth Warren's party. I think thats a bit much.

Last edited:
I am not surprised to see that a president is a lame duck with a little more than year left in his second term.

Even Nancy Pelosi didn't back Obama on this.

That's a big surprise from Miss 'We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it.'

Now, if the Supreme Court strikes down Obamacare (I'm not saying I think they will), this week would be remembered as the worst week for any President in decades.

Meh obamacare kind of sucks but we do need nationalized health care. We are all going to pay for it one way or another anyway.

Every now and then they do the right thing. It's like finding money in a pair of pants you have been too fat to wear for 3 years.

This was a disaster. Don't support any politician who pushed this.

Glad the Dems came through on this one. Fuq the TPP and its globalization agenda. These trade deals are never good for the American people. Jobs will be lost, wages will be pulled down just like NAFTA. Not to mention the possibility that It will shove Monsanto and its frankenfood down the worlds throats (literally). "Oh you dont want to buy our GMO foods ? Well then we will just sue you and force it upon you. Oh yeah and the judges who rule that court will be lawyers that work for Monsanto. That should be pretty fair no?

Gotta thank the activists for this one.

Years ago it was unheard of, now it's a somewhat mainstream issue. They campaigned hard.

This was a disaster. Don't support any politician who pushed this.

Especially these two.

blog-boehner-mcc.jpg

One more thing.

I'm surprised this was actually held for a vote. Usually leaders already have a count of who will/won't provide support for bills of this magnitude. If the votes aren't there, it's a public embarassment for the supporters and any consideration of a future vote is no longer an option.

And with so few votes even among Democrats, publicly voicing their intention to vote 'Nay' it should have been seen a mile away that this stood no chance of passing.

So... why hold the vote?

One more thing.

I'm surprised this was actually held for a vote. Usually leaders already have a count of who will/won't provide support for bills of this magnitude. If the votes aren't there, it's a public embarassment for the supporters and any consideration of a future vote is no longer an option.

And with so few votes even among Democrats, publicly voicing their intention to vote 'Nay' it should have been seen a mile away that this stood no chance of passing.

So... why hold the vote?

1. It had to come up because fast tracking is essential for this bill to get passed as desired.

2. I'm confident it would have passed no problem if not for the recent activism

2. I'm confident it would have passed no problem if not for the recent activism

Activism? Seriously?

The bill is in complete secret, all we have is the word of Obama saying it's a 'Free Trade Agreement.' And not even other leaders of his own party buy his obvious bullshit.

You wouldn't buy this if Bush tried to pull the same stunt.

Activism? Seriously?

The bill is in complete secret, all we have is the word of Obama saying it's a 'Free Trade Agreement.' And not even other leaders of his own party buy his obvious bullshit.

You wouldn't buy this if Bush tried to pull the same stunt.

You mistake me, sir.

Surprising that Pelosi led the rebellion, considering she was also the same person who said they have to pass the Obama healthcare bill to find out what's in it:

[YT]hV-05TLiiLU[/YT]

It's no secret that no one in Congress reads these bills just like they did not read the Patriot Act. They are typically provided "briefs" and "summaries" of these bills by staffers, lobbyists and so forth and they vote based on these. But as anyone knows, reading the actual texts and primary sources of any document is essential to a true understanding. If these people are getting paid to "represent" the "American people" then this is what you're getting for your money? That seems like quite the lack of service from these "public servants."

Surprising that Pelosi led the rebellion, considering she was also the same person who said they have to pass the Obama healthcare bill to find out what's in it

Jesus, that's such a dumb line. She was just saying that legislators would see the benefits when the law was in action. Nothing in the ACA was a secret or anything.

Gotta thank the activists for this one.

Years ago it was unheard of, now it's a somewhat mainstream issue. They campaigned hard.

To what end? Helping China tighten control over the region? I mean, I don't want to overstate it. From what I can see, this is much ado about nothing. But it just somehow became a symbolic issue for the left (kind of like Keystone). So, like, congratulations, but where was this kind of unity behind additional stimulus or something that really matters and clearly helps their cause?

Last edited:
Back