Depression and Negative thoughts first thing in the morning?

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else get depressed and hateful and spiteful when they first wake up.

But once you get moving and get out of the house you feel progressively better.

What are some tactics you guys have used to deal with depresssion in your late 20s and early 30s.

Most mornings when I wake up I smile before I even open my eyes. I don't know what depression is like I'm on the opposite end.

I did read an onion article that once said "depression hits losers the hardest"

Maybe you just need more onion in your life.

Look into a book called The Happiness Trap. It uses ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).

Basically, the mistake most people make is trying to control their thoughts, falsely believing they can "get rid of" negative thoughts. Instead, you choose to listen to the thoughts that are helpful for your values and recognize that all thoughts are just that... thoughts your brain is creating. That is called defusion, when you recognize thoughts for what they are.

My phallic kickstand kickstarts my morning happiness.

Me when I wake up too sober. Baketh upon waketh sir.

No but I used to get it as I would get closer to work.

Have been really working hard to manage depression and anxiety - eating better, training BJJ, kickboxing, workouts, medication from the doctor, CBD oil, deep breathing, meditation, etc.

Unless I've had an upsetting dream I never wake up mad - have been times something popped in my head and threw me off though.

I thought the JRE podcast episode with Tyson Fury was amazing. He really did a great job at explaining depression and how he turned things around. Anyone that suffers depresson should watch it. In short set yourself a long term goal and short term goals to focus on.

Every morning I get real depressed when I think about the 10 hours I have to wait to get off work. After that I'm cool.

Look into a book called The Happiness Trap. It uses ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).

Basically, the mistake most people make is trying to control their thoughts, falsely believing they can "get rid of" negative thoughts. Instead, you choose to listen to the thoughts that are helpful for your values and recognize that all thoughts are just that... thoughts your brain is creating. That is called defusion, when you recognize thoughts for what they are.
This guy knows what hes talking about. Positive mental thinking has shown to have no measurable affect on a person's mental health, although its not a bad practice, the positive mental thinking thing isn't for everyone.

Anyone else get depressed and hateful and spiteful when they first wake up.

But once you get moving and get out of the house you feel progressively better.

What are some tactics you guys have used to deal with depresssion in your late 20s and early 30s.
When I do wake up like that its usually because I felt I haven't done something I want to do, but I kind of wake up like that everyday. If you don't something planned ahead the next day doesn't seem all that inviting does it? You could read all the psychology and self help books you want, you could go get a degree in Psychology , or a couple degrees and it wouldn't stop this problem from happening. It could be that you just don't have the same brain chemistry going on as other people as some people are completely content doing nothing, although I am not suggesting SSRI's. You start to feel some of that the older you get because you reach a point in life where you start to realize that those dreams you held onto when you were younger are becoming more and more unattainable.
I thought the JRE podcast episode with Tyson Fury was amazing. He really did a great job at explaining depression and how he turned things around. Anyone that suffers depresson should watch it. In short set yourself a long term goal and short term goals to focus on.

That podcast was awesome, setting goals is one of the best things you can do as it gives you something to look forward to where as having no goals can leave in a mess of anxiety.

Bro I suffer from this horribly. Mornings when I have no responsibilities are the worst. I come across as a strong person but mornings I'm at my weakest.

Usually my first thought is I need to stop these withdrawals. It's awful. I hate that it's gotten to this point. I still function though.

Yes I always wake up and stress. It's annoying, especially to my girlfriend who I always want to comfort me randomly in the middle of the night when shes trying to sleep.

Doing shit always makes me feel better. I'll get up and do a load of laundry or clean up my room a bit, take a shower. Fuck it go for a jog. Just do something

Usually my first thought is I need to stop these withdrawals. It's awful. I hate that it's gotten to this point. I still function though.
Booze or what? I withdraw on alcohol constantly it blows. PM a mofo

Sounds like work or something is getting you down, if you don't know what it is, serious exploration is needed.

I'd definitely prefer not to work some days but really it only manifests like you say when I've drunk the day before or I'm ill, maybe if I slept bad.

My default is open to happiness and that's where I think we can all hope or aim for.

my days usually starts well then goes kinda downhill

Bro I suffer from this horribly. Mornings when I have no responsibilities are the worst. I come across as a strong person but mornings I'm at my weakest.
Think of something you want to accomplish and set yourself a task each morning to get to that goal. Having something to focus on each morning will help.

Back