Did Daft Punk steal "Get Lucky"?

shouldnt it be " Did Niles Rodgers steal the bassline for Get Lucky" since he's the one playing??

I am, but if you have anything to enlighten me with, please post. Doubt it'll do much to change my feelings on this situation, but I'd be interested in anything about their back catalog

I mean in terms of the vast majority of their music being reworked samples of songs from other artists. "Robot Rock" is the most controversial because it is essentially a looped, unaltered sample of Breakwater's "Release the Beast", but it's far from the only instance of them being very heavily indebted to other artists.

You can just look up Daft Punk samples on YouTube to see where all their music comes from.

The publicity around Random Access Memories largely focused on the fact that they'd been working in the studio with top class musicians to craft original material, so if it turns out that the chord structure, melody and basic sound were ripped off from a random Korean dude on YouTube it's pretty hilarious.

And that's also why I have the smallest suspicion that this is an elaborate prank on their part. I'm a fan though so I'm prone to excuse them.

Pretty bad.

And the dude in the video is probably still recording songs in his bedroom to boot.

It's all about who you know in this world.

I mean in terms of the vast majority of their music being reworked samples of songs from other artists. "Robot Rock" is the most controversial because it is essentially a looped, unaltered sample of Breakwater's "Release the Beast", but it's far from the only instance of them being very heavily indebted to other artists.

You can just look up Daft Punk samples on YouTube to see where all their music comes from.

The publicity around Random Access Memories largely focused on the fact that they'd been working in the studio with top class musicians to craft original material, so if it turns out that the chord structure, melody and basic sound were ripped off from a random Korean dude on YouTube it's pretty hilarious.

And that's also why I have the smallest suspicion that this is an elaborate prank on their part. I'm a fan though so I'm prone to excuse them.

Yeah... they sample... they've always been open about it. They've never tried to hide it. You can read the Discovery wikipedia page and see all that was used for said album

Like... when has sampling been an issue? I'm confused. Especially in electronic music

My point is this: Daft Punk isn't weeding through youtube videos of some can for source material. That's what I meant by "they're not going to jack some can's song"

I am, but if you have anything to enlighten me with, please post. Doubt it'll do much to change my feelings on this situation, but I'd be interested in anything about their back catalog
i.e. "I don't know but I don't really care since my opinion, even based out of thin air, won't be changed even if you present facts". Intelligent of you.

Pretty bad.

And the dude in the video is probably still recording songs in his bedroom to boot.

It's all about who you know in this world.
This. The similarity is clear. Both harmonies, rhythm and melody (which in Daft Punk's song follows the harmony root).
And one doesn't have to have a PhD. in music to recognize this.

My point is this: Daft Punk isn't weeding through youtube videos of some can for source material. That's what I meant by "they're not going to jack some can's song"
So if they stumble upon it by accident that makes ok. Your logic is awesome, do not stop.

Don't know. I don't see why they'd ignore a good tune just because it happens to be dreamt up by a random YouTuber, and I don't think it's impossible that one of them was bored and stuck Robot Dance into a search engine either.

Anytime a woman is compared to "an animal," that's Pharrell.

"Blurred Lines" is so Justin Timberlake's first album (which was inspired by Michael Jackson's OFF THE WALL and then can be argued was STOLEN!!!!!). The Gaye foundation made rumblings how the song was similar, so the Thicke camp pre-emtively sued them because fuck loose talk.

1. This song is pretty good.

2. The beat is kind of similar, but it would seem the main emphasis is the sweet guitar-face licks, which veer closer to Carlos Santana or Joe Satriani.

3. He uses a shit ton of simple musical layers. Like the first four layers is what you're talking about is similar to "Get Lucky," but that's kinda part and parcel with simple beats. With both "Get Lucky" and "Blurred Lines" they're using minimal elements, so stripped to the core many songs are going to sound similar. There's no sweet guitar face here.

4. Also, there's not enough this in the Korean "version":

I don't know what you call this beat, and certainly it's more exaggerated than in "Get Lucky," but this swagger is not at all present in the other. So to me the difference is pretty clear: Daft Punk = pop and this guy = jazz.

5. What exactly should be done? Is the argument "Get Lucky" somehow prevented this kid from leaving his bedroom? Has "Get Lucky" stood on the shoulders of this kid's vast Youtube cachet? I don't know how the philosophy no one should benefit from theft can be addressed.

6. Malcolm Gladwell on Plagiarism

i.e. "I don't know but I don't really care since my opinion, even based out of thin air, won't be changed even if you present facts". Intelligent of you.

This. The similarity is clear. Both harmonies, rhythm and melody (which in Daft Punk's song follows the harmony root).

Lol

The chord progression is the same. That's it. Rhythm is simplistic. Simple hippie jam band shit. Heard it plenty of times. Just because some can put it up on youtube at some point in his life, doesn't mean Daft Punk stole it.

Blurred Lines and Get Lucky have made my summer, musically. Thankfully I've only seen the stills of Miley so it's not ruined it for me.

"We Can't Stop" is not a terrible song. Originally it was intended for Rhianna, and it's got a Kanye West "Runaway" sort of feel. Miley's got a voice like a pressure valve, though ....

"We Can't Stop" is not a terrible song. Originally it was intended for Rhianna, and it's got a Kanye West "Runaway" sort of feel. Miley's got a voice like a pressure valve, though ....

The first time I heard that song on my grainy car radio I could have sworn it was Rihanna.

That sounds so much better than Miley.

So if they stumble upon it by accident that makes ok. Your logic is awesome, do not stop.

One does not have to have a PHD in statistics to realize a pretty simple chord progression, even with a similar vibe, is likely to crop up multiple times in different songs. It's virtually impossible to do something completely original. Every chord progression has pretty much been done already, in all different styles and tempos.
That Daft Punk somehow found this, among all of the vastness that is the internet, and intentionally decided to "rip him off" also strikes me as quite unlikely.
At any rate, the dude is getting a lot of free publicity now.

Last edited:
Back