Did DC's eye pokes really affect the first stipe match?

May have, but not as much as DC post back surgery and going into the rematch and trilogy without being able to properly train. People seem to mix the fights up and forget DC was coasting to victory until he gassed in the rematch before getting finished and the third fight was purely ego.

People forget, just like you forget that Miocic won the round previous to the stoppage one and that double-digit punches to the stomach tend to gas out a person no matter their condition.

Last edited:
People forget, just like you forget that Miocic won the round prior to the stoppage and that double-digit punches to the stomach tend to gas out a person no matter their condition.

DC was gassing well before that. If memory serves, he struggled to take Stipe down for much of round 1 (granted Stipe is a lot better wrestler than people give him credit for, but it still wears you down), and couldn't do it at any point afterward. Round 2 was the last one DC won, and from then on it was Stipe's fight.

<This7><WhitmanDefeat>

Jones remained a Lightweight for years to avoid fighting men his own size.​
Like times 10. Been saying this for years on here. Jones is as big as Arlovski but ran to lhw his whole career and even cheated to win there. Anyone that calls him goat is just stupid or blind.
He got into it with Mir and Mir put him in his place...............back to fighting people smaller than him and poking their eyes out.

DC was gassing well before that. If memory serves, he struggled to take Stipe down for much of round 1 (granted Stipe is a lot better wrestler than people give him credit for, but it still wears you down), and couldn't do it at any point afterward. Round 2 was the last one DC won, and from then on it was Stipe's fight.

So if Stipe does well later on it can only be because DC gasses? Couldn't be that Stipe started slow as he himself declared ("I fought like a bitch"). Couldn't be because nobody has taken him down more than once in a fight. Nope, gotta be that DC tires and lets him succeed. Confirmation bias much?

DC oddly got painted as some cardio king largely because he outlasted Rumble of all people. Even Vitor did that lol.

Actually watching his fights showed he always slowed down noticeably the longer his fights went. I believe it's something like every time he entered the champion rounds he lost at least 1 of them on at least 1 judges card, even to Barnett, and he also had 3rd round scares against Mir and Silva too (and IIRC someone else) in his 3 round fights.

DC was a frontrunner.

Beyond false … Ngannou asked for that fight a million times …

Jones only acted like he was into it once Francis had a foot out the door

Yep.

Surely it's also a pure coincidence that DC suddenly started having issues with keeping his fingers in check only after he fought Jones the first time. If I didn't know any better, DC being such a wholesome guy and all, I would almost think he realized how effective doing that actually is and how easy it is to get away with it.

But nah, our Daniel would never.
He acts like a boyscout in front of cameras and the media...

But i've seen a lot of footage.. he was talking to khabib about how dirty he fought, he won't that stuff in a press conference.. he'll bitch about jones cheating etc.. whild being a cheater himself..
It's called acting one way and being another...
He's two faced...

I can't believe i'm explaining this jesus
A couple of events back on some early prelim, DC is commentating and admitted he cheated a lot in the cage. And he fessed up about Towelgate during his speech at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Yet almost everyone still thinks of him as the "good" guy...
It was never not funny to me how many people didn't realize that DC and Jones are mirrors of one another, not opposites.

Like holy fuck guys we literally got their hot mic conversation and DC started a press brawl, and people still thought he wasn't also an asshole simply because he teaches youth's wrestling and isn't AS BIG of fuck up as Jon.

Which is a very low bar to hit, but doesn't make you not a douche yourself.

So if Stipe does well later on it can only be because DC gasses? Couldn't be that Stipe started slow as he himself declared ("I fought like a bitch"). Couldn't be because nobody has taken him down more than once in a fight. Nope, gotta be that DC tires and lets him succeed. Confirmation bias much?

Oh, I'm not trying to take anything away from Stipe. I'm perfectly happy saying Stipe could have won five rounds and just started slow. My point is only that DC wasn't exactly "coasting to victory" as another poster tried to claim.

Didn't see it before the eye pokes either. He didn't adjust to the collar tie punch combo until the second fight. DC would have kept clocking him with it all night in the first fight.
He poked him in the left eye three seconds before the KO happened.

DC would have knocked Stipe out that night either way. Stipe only adjusted to the collar tie punch combo by the second fight. In the first fight he had no answer for it and didn't even see it coming.

He didn't even have an answer for it in the 2nd fight. He ate that same punch exiting the clinch repeatedly in the rematch. He adjusted his own offense to deal with the mummy gaurd of DC. He did very little to adjust for the strikes on the exit.

Not arguing just furthering your point.

I get people want to discredit every foul, but they make the rules so lenient, fighters are honestly just playing the meta at this point even today. You basically always get free fouls besides kneeing downed opponents.

To me, the fact the KO from the clinch negates the eye poke from prior, Stipe wasn't prepared whether he could see or not. I think it's fair Stipe got DC back with eye pokes in the later fights and is 2-1 in the trilogy. I hate the revisionism you see where people want to not count fights because of 1 small error. The trilogy took 3 damn years, I'm so glad no one has the same opinions as you because we'd see a 4th and maybe 5th. They need to punish fouls harsher and watch fighters miraculously land all punches closed fists.

If I had to give that trilogy a nickname it would be "An Eye For An Eye."

<Ellaria01>

This is the only time I've seen two championship level fighters consistently try to ice-cream scoop each other's eyeballs out while pretending it's completely accidental every time it happens.
1597787129003-2.png

Go poke yourself in the eye as hard as you can. See if you can post on sherdog never mind fight somebody

He didn't even have an answer for it in the 2nd fight. He ate that same punch exiting the clinch repeatedly in the rematch. He adjusted his own offense to deal with the mummy gaurd of DC. He did very little to adjust for the strikes on the exit.

Not arguing just furthering your point.
And yet…. He was only KO’d by the one immediately following an eye poke on the same side. Imagine that, the one he didn’t see coming knocked him out. Hmm….

And yet…. He was only KO’d by the one immediately following an eye poke on the same side. Imagine that, the one he didn’t see coming knocked him out. Hmm….

If you think seeing the punch is the only factor that goes into differentiating strikes that are and aren't KOs then there is no point in debating anything.

Never remember DC using that scumbag move until Jones proved it could be done repeatedly, without a single warning or a point being deducted, from the ones apparently allowed to cheat at will.
There was one fight where DC poked Stipe 4 times, to Stipes 1 poke

There was one fight where DC poked Stipe 4 times, to Stipes 1 poke

In a really bad way, DC truly evolved. He not only eye poked Stipe, he also threw down with the old school wrestling whole-hand-twisting eye gouge. DC then showed off inventive creativity, using a new version, his patented thumb-in-the-eye poke.
<JerryWWF>

Maybe, but Stipe paid him back in the hematch.

Both dudes made Juicehead Jones proud with their retinal skewering skills.
DC got him again in the second fight, as Stipe needed a minor eye surgery after the bout. So think DC had the eye poke coming back to him deservedly so :p. It's why i didn't feel too bad for DC when he was belly aching about his eye after their third fight.

If you think seeing the punch is the only factor that goes into differentiating strikes that are and aren't KOs then there is no point in debating anything.
Terrible response but that aside, seeing a strike coming is a gigantic factor in how likely the strike is to knock you out.

Stipe is and was better than DC everywhere and was only KO’d by a punch he didn’t see coming as a direct result of an eye poke three seconds prior.

Been shown over the trilogy, surprised it’s even a conversation anymore tbh

Back