Did Francis Ngannou Make a Huge Mistake Not Resigning with the UFC?

Did Francis Ngannou make a mistake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why it made sense for Conor, reportedly Conor made life changing money. $50 million - $100 million. I don't think Francis will get that. At the same time, Conor was the bigger man, fighting a smaller guy whom while 1 of the greatest ever, had 1 TKO in the last 10 yrs before the Conor fight. On the other hand, I think Francis will get much less money, & be fighting guys who are his size, with tons of KOs on their resume. I understand why Francis is doing this, but it may not turn out well. For Conor, that 1 fight was worth it regardless, because it was life changing. If Francis loses his 1st boxing match, & gets KO'd badly (looks uncompetitive), I don't think UFC wants him back

Bad for MMA in general, but probably good for Francis and his wallet. I bet most fighters would sell out too for double-digit millions.

I knew a lady named Merge once, where is she we need her?

I don't understand why so many people are having such a hard time with the fact that Ngannou wants to box. It doesn't matter how much the UFC is offering him if he's not allowed to take a boxing match.

What is bad for the sport and fights is Dana, just look at when the scumbag sided with the scumbag.IMG_20230116_162705.jpg

Francis said himself he left 7 million on the table for his last fights as the UFC was prob trying to secure a contract before it expired and then offered him more then any other HW champ ever. So it sounds like the money up front wasnt the prob but he wanted his freedom to "box" and go after the Fury fight which as of now isnt happening anytime soon as Fury is fighting Uysk this year.

I don't understand why so many people are having such a hard time with the fact that Ngannou wants to box. It doesn't matter how much the UFC is offering him if he's not allowed to take a boxing match.
Why just boxing? Why not tennis, soccer, golf? I understand he wants money but why would you, as a sports fan, would want to watch him in any other sport that isn't MMA?

First I'm not on the UFC side. Also i am One fc fan as well and just looking for the best fights And boxing bores me. I'm on MMA side and want to watch the best vs the best.

What happened here is that for the first time we got an elite fighter quitting at his prime because he believes he will make more money in boxing which is bad news for us since we missed lots of good fights like Ngannou vs Jones or Francis vs Sergei.

We already saw that dumb experiment of boxing vs MMA and we already know the results. Calling it interesting because Francis is KO artist is just stupid because HW boxing already got way stronger and bigger guys like Wilder and even Fury. we don't even know if Francis is the strongest guy on the UFC. And the mixed rules circus he offered is bullshit it's just boxing with less emphasis on high guard which Fury didn't use much anyway. The fight will 100% suck and the best hope is that Tyson will knock out Francis early so we don't need to see him throwing his hands like a toddler who have no idea where is he vs pro boxer.

And for the money. Francis proved he doesn't care about other fighters pay because if he did he would fight to create a union or something like that. He only cares about Francis. Also if he could play soccer at real madrid for way better pay day he would say fuck boxing and go over there, he doesn't care about any sports, he only cares about money. The thing is that he is out of touch of his popularity. He isn't McGregor and people start to get tired of that boxing freak shows. If Francis vs Tyson (which if you look at the recent Tyson opponents purses isn't some insane amount of money that people saying Francis will do) will sale less than expected hopefully it will put an end to the freakshow bullshit.

Sorry for my English I'm not native.

Isn't it good for fighters in general that other orgs can compete with the UFC on pay? This is the kind of marketplace which will drive the price of fighters up.

What we might see however is some of the best fighters never fighting because they are signed to different orgs.

That's almost an inarguably false statement. The fact is, other organizations lose money when they overpay for ex UFC fighters. Bellator has NEVER made money.
Neither has PFL or ONE for that matter, UFC is literally the only current MMA promotion that actually makes a profit, pretty much all the others bleed money out the ass.
The MMA landscape has always been unstable at best, all the defunct promotions over the years is testament to that.

So, it seems you guys are agreeing with Dana: he's looking to fight lesser opponents for (maybe) more money.
It's sort of like what's happening in golf.

If you wanna make more money, bully for you! But you sure as hell aren't going to be a legend in the sport fighting outside the UFC.

Cash your check, but the sport will move on, and you'll be forgotten. If it was me, I'd stay in the UFC.

I'm starting to think that a large portion (majority?) of the fan base just want to see the fights they want to see, with no consideration of the fighter's point of view. Kinda how I imagine the audiences of the ancient gladiatorial games looked at them.

Ironically we are missing out on the best fights with the best fighters because of the absurdly bad revenue split.

We could be seeing Ngannou -vs- Jon Jones but the promoter currently keeps 82% of the money. That is the only reason we don't get to see fights like that and why we don't have entire divisions populated with Jon Jones' quality of athleticism and skill.

The sport will be fine. Francis dosen't have near the influence to affect anything by walking out on his title. The general public will be back to not caring in a week or two, if they haven't already. Hopefully Frank finds that pay day he's hunting for, although i'm not super convinced it's still there for him. Feels like Fury is already moving on too other things. And there really isn't anyone else he can box to make the kind of money he wants. Not to mention it'll be a one and done, because he's likely losing to any credible boxer bad and won't be offered that big meal ticket again.

Why just boxing? Why not tennis, soccer, golf? I understand he wants money but why would you, as a sports fan, would want to watch him in any other sport that isn't MMA?

It's what he wants. He's always wanted to box, so why shouldn't he? It's combat sports. He can go play golf anytime.

Go get paid Francis fuck the UFC.

I am boycotting them till Dana is
No longer the face. And anyone with an ounce of morality should do the same.

I actually think Francis does one boxing fight, fails while making a good payday and comes back and challenges for the belt.

I honestly dont give a shit. Just another one dimensional fighter in a traditionally shallow division

Baddest man on the planet, looks like a comic book character, nice guy with charisma, comes from the poorest part of Africa working in a diamond mine as a child and ends up HW champ.

All this and his "promoter" can only get in a couple of mil per fight? LOL, of course he should fire that promoter and get a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back