Did Francis Ngannou Make a Huge Mistake Not Resigning with the UFC?

Did Francis Ngannou make a mistake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Francis doesn't have to fight a top heavyweight. In fact, that'd be silly.

Francis should be looking at someone very beatable, who is looking for a payday.

He should be looking at Chisora or White- both semi credible but on a big downswing and he's a decent chance of knocking out or at least not getting is ears boxed off. He could have a look at someone like Justis Huni- good boxer but not a hard puncher so Francis would be in with a chance to land one and then overwhelm him. Hughy Fury has a name and again, Francis half a chance to swarm and overpower. He'd make millions fighting these guys.

He'll be thrashed by the top guys but if he wins a bout or two, its a great payday down the track.
If he goes after anyone out of the top 4, he'd probably been better off with the UFC contract he was offered if it's as lucrative as it's been made out to be. He isn't going to make crazy money off any other fights and if he can't even win his first fight against lower ranked guys like Chisora, nobody is going to want to see the next, assuming he doesn't stink the joint up either. I don't think he has the cardio to make any fight worth mentioning competitive so I don't see him risking it fighting against anyone outside of AJ, Wilder or Fury. He's desperately prostituting himself for one big paycheck but I do hope Wilder cashes him in so everyone can see him get KTFO

We have no idea what was being offered and countered. We do know that Dana and the UFC are absolutely ruthless. I think Francis made the right move for his sanity. As far as his finances are concerned, I guess time will tell.

Baddest man on the planet, looks like a comic book character, nice guy with charisma, comes from the poorest part of Africa working in a diamond mine as a child and ends up HW champ.

All this and his "promoter" can only get in a couple of mil per fight? LOL, of course he should fire that promoter and get a better one.
Cameroon isn't even in the top 10 poorest countries in Africa.

Do star players in other sports ever get completely screwed by declaring free agency?

Combat sports are unique because the "stars" are determined by how much interest and therefore money they can generate

You can be the best martial artist of all time but if people dont buy your PPV's, it doesn't matter

Quitting? It was a negotiation. He thought he’d have a better experience elsewhere. Good for him. I hope he finds greener pastures elsewhere. These fighters desperately need other option so they don’t have to go crawling to Dana begging for money.

N'Gannou is about to turn 37 and has knee issues, I think he's trying to cash out for as much as possible with 1 or 2 huge fights or boxing matches before he rides off into the sunset. UFC wasn't willing to pay him what he wanted and I think Francis feels it's realistic to get a 15-20m payday from a boxing match or something like that.

N'Gannou is about to turn 37 and has knee issues, I think he's trying to cash out for as much as possible with 1 or 2 huge fights or boxing matches before he rides off into the sunset. UFC wasn't willing to pay him what he wanted and I think Francis feels it's realistic to get a 15-20m payday from a boxing match or something like that.
I don't see how he gets that payday, when Fury has moved on, and Wilder isn't a big draw. Once he loses, which will be his first bout, his paper view power fades. Of course, something could happen, but it doesn't look good for Francis at this point, imo.

Pretty simple question, really. Do you think Francis Ngannou will come back to the UFC, after failing to secure a more lucrative deal (whether in boxing or otherwise), or will he never be seen in Zuffaland again? Why? Why not?

I don't see him securing a fight with Fury, as he is already committed and easily distracted to various flights of fancy. Nor, do I see him getting fights more lucrative than the UFC contract he was offered. Even if he does get a few boxing bouts, I don't see him winning, which would diminish his PPV appeal. I think Francis' pride will be too great to let him come back to Dana, and he would likely be lowballed, as well. What say you, Sherdog? Can mods add a poll, please?

Nope, they will end up begging him.

The only other person to bluff this hard was cejudo and it backfired hard. The ufc has the strategy to promote you OR bury you. What does Nganou have to do to make his bluff pay off? Will the fans follow him or bash him like we did to triple c?
There's no bluff lol. Ngannou has a lot of options already. That's why he was commited to his terms. Cejudo didn't have other options outside of mma, that's why he didn't really have leverage over the situation. Either way it worked out for Cejudo because he's coming back into a title shot. But Ngannou's situation is nothing like Cejudo's. There's no bluff there, just other opportunities and options.

Also Cejudo didn't finish out his contract or let it expire like what Ngannou did. So Cejudo wasn't a free agent, he wasn't able to do anything else. Nothing like Ngannou's situation at all. Ngannou and his team played it smart and timed it perfectly.

Or Wilder. Wilder is a big power guy with limited boxing skills too.
This. He has a lot of options in boxing even if he loses vs Fury and Wilder. He can take a step down in competition and still get paid millions. People think Fury is the only boxer getting paid millions. It really shows how little the mma community knows about boxing.

How much are the big draws getting paid in ONE FC? Be cool to see him against Buchecha or Reug Reug.

I don't see how he gets that payday, when Fury has moved on, and Wilder isn't a big draw. Once he loses, which will be his first bout, his paper view power fades. Of course, something could happen, but it doesn't look good for Francis at this point, imo.

Wilder vs. Francis would be a fairly big draw just due to the matchup...

It wouldn't be floyd vs. mcgregor, but it would still be 10 times what he'd get fighting in the UFC.

This. He has a lot of options in boxing even if he loses vs Fury and Wilder. He can take a step down in competition and still get paid millions. People think Fury is the only boxer getting paid millions. It really shows how little the mma community knows about boxing.

No … actually other than the top few guys, he’d get paid way less than his UFC offer boxing anyone else.

I'm assuming it was along the lines of Izzy's $2-3 million base and a couple bucks per PPV buy, so we're talking about $3-5 million a fight. I highly doubt PFL or Bellator is going to pay him that much and he's unlikely to get that Fury fight, which would probably max him out at $10-$12 million and be his last relevant boxing payday.

But, if he does, good for him. More power to Francis if he is going to bet on himself. Getting to this point considering his past, he's already won, and I'm not going to doubt him. Hopefully it pays off.
Can’t tell if in the long run a fight with Fury is the way to go. Fury is going to make him look silly which will hurt his mystique and his brand value.

Wilder vs. Francis would be a fairly big draw just due to the matchup...

It wouldn't be floyd vs. mcgregor, but it would still be 10 times what he'd get fighting in the UFC.

lol. Ngannou isn’t a draw in mma. You think he’s a draw in boxing?

He turned down a MINIMUM of $3.5M per fight in the UFC. There’s NO WAY you could possibly believe he’ll get $35M to fight a B Side boxer?

You can’t be serious?

This shit is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back