Did Simone Biles quit or did she do the right thing by checking out of the Team Finals?

Funny thing is even if she never even participated or showed up to this Olympics. She still will be looked as the greatest female gymnast.

For someone who's been so successful in her field, I give her a pass for this one. Who am I to judge her, considering what she's accomplished in this sport.

solid narrative being built. i mean, these are the true Olympic level mental gymnasts. these people will never quit.
first, it's the "if you didn't win, we'll just redefine what winning is" tactics
1627413281910.png

then, it's the redefine what words mean shtick.
1627453189652.png

and finally, let's get some of that classic race in it.
1627438624816.jpg

don't forget, if you defeat your enemies, they win!
if you quit, you're the real winner!

This shit angers me beyond belief.

We need stop using the word "narrative," and start using the word Manipulation. Because that's exactly what this is. The media is manipulating people. And if anyone can't see that this is happening, that means it worked.

I just can't support this. How far does this go? Do astronauts get to walk up to the launch pad and say, sorry, too much pressure, I need a mental health break? Sometimes in life you have to realize its not just about you - if that means you have to do something that is going to harm you, you suck it up, take the lumps and push forward.

We don't have to throw her under the bus or shit on her, but this sure as hell shouldn't be celebrated.

Last edited:
It's just another extension of a "participation trophy" and not "hurting anyone's feelings".

The weirdest part is, why not just say nothing? Why does it need to be addressed so publiclly? Just say "Simone was brave enough to admit she couldn't take part any further, and we cannot wait to see her back in the game when she's ready".

It's this constant need for gushing, hyperbolic, virtuous and vacuous bullshit....

It's just another extension of a "participation trophy" and not "hurting anyone's feelings".

The weirdest part is, why not just say nothing? Why does it need to be addressed so publiclly? Just say "Simone was brave enough to admit she couldn't take part any further, and we cannot wait to see her back in the game when she's ready".

It's this constant need for gushing, hyperbolic, virtuous and vacuous bullshit....
because the media that have been licking her boots as the second coming simply cannot admit they are wrong, and she's just another athlete. no, we can't be wrong, it's impossible, so let's just redefine everything - success, toughness, grit, everything must be re-molded to fit out feverish view of the world, so that we are "the winners". it's a psycho levels of narcissism from these people. it's a true spectacle to watch.

This is the current soft generation redefining brave. when you cant ACTUALLY be brave, just tell everyone that being a quitter and soft is the new, real brave

Last edited:
Reactions: JSN
because the media that have been licking her boots as the second coming simply cannot admit they are wrong, and she's just another athlete. no, we can't be wrong, it's impossible, so let's just redefine everything - success, toughness, grit, everything must be re-molded to fit out feverish view of the world, so that we are "the winners". it's a psycho levels of narcissism from these people. it's a true spectacle to watch.

Agreed, it's sickening, repulsive behaviour.

This is the current soft generation redefining brave. when you cant ACTUALLY be brave, just tell everyone that being a quitter in soft is the new, real brave

Spot on. Probably the first time I've ever agreed with you on here, but as I said, it's "participation trophy" behaviour - where taking part means just as much if not more, than winning. A legendary athlete like Biles should actually feel embarassed and angry at this type of media condescension. This shouldn't be the way winners are discussed.

It's because weakness and victimhood are the primary social currency of the modern western world. The virtues you grew up learning are gone. Society changed them and didn't tell you until it was too late.

This is weird. This is the gymnastic version of Roberto Duran. No Mas!

Not really. Duran stepped into the ring and fought even though he knew he was in bad shape and had little chance to win.
Biles quit without even trying.

When i was a child I was amazed that Ronnie Lott had part of his finger amputated so that he wouldn't miss a game. I thought it was crazy, but thought that was totally bad ass.

20 years from now kids will tell their kids they remember that one Olympics where Simone Biles quit because she "wasn't feeling it" and her team stumbled to a silver medal. How much courage did she show!

word on the street is she can't do shit without adderall, which is banned in japan, even though she had an exemption for it. this is unconfirmed, but seems possible.

also, the press have absolutely no shame whatsoever. the spin is disgusting.
she's actually a winner, you racists!
1627417895617.jpg
Holy shit, this is unbelievable. She pulled out of the All-Around competition, and they're ideating her for it.

Remember Bode Miller? Remember when-- like Osaka-- he decided he didn't want to do interviews for NBC in the early days of the Vancouver Olympics? NBC devoted a special segment during primetime where Bob Costas ripped into Bode. He said, "If you don't want the scrutiny of American's attention, that's okay, but in the months leading up to this OIympics, Bode did all the commercials, took all the endorsement money, accepted all the free publicity and free press building his name/brand from NBC, lavished in the limelight like a rock star as the face of the Games, and now he shuns the media. He's a hypocrite."

And Costas was right. If you're going to strum those air guitars, you better be ready to dance when the music comes on.

Four years later, NBC crossed the line. They asked him about his dead brother right after he won a race-- just to squeeze every bit of tasty drama they could to drive up viewership.
Bode Miller Driven to Tears — Did NBC Go Too Far in Post-race Interview?

Zero concern for Bode in both Games. Zero consideration for his family's personal affairs in Sochi. Zero consideration for the fact he might be a more private person in Vancouver. They didn't give a shit about his "mental health". They called a spade a spade. If you're going to put a Goat on your uniform, if you're going to strut around during all the press conferences, smiling and waving to every camera within telephoto range, constantly tweet about how impressed you are with yourself on social media...

...then the truth is you took this upon yourself in your quest for glory. Neither Bode nor Simone were playing a game without chips on the table. Both had a tremendous amount to gain: fame, money, prestige, future opportunity outside the sporting arena. Your average joe would kill for this.

Guess what? It's like anything else in life. That comes with some strings. Yes, it's a tremendous amount of pressure, but you chose this life. You chose the pressure. Nobody inflicted it on you without your consent.

She was a mental midget in Tokyo, and it's perfectly okay for everyone to judge her as such.

And for those comparing her to Duran, I just don't get it. He is STILL catching hell all these years later. Yet the same people pointing out he quit are the ones saying Biles was right to do so So let's give her the same treatment. Actually worse since she quit on her team, not just herself

Dude I am surprising my gf (gymnast) with tickets to Bile's GOAT tour this fall so I'm just glad she is having mental health issues and isn't physically injured.

I don't think she has any idea that Biles is even coming to our town for her tour and she rants and raves about her regularly. It's going to be an awesome surprise as long as Biles doesn't fuck this up for me

Wish I could have opted out of my third tour in Iraq due to mental health issues. She is so bold, so brave.

Back