Did you know the Gracie family originated in Scotland?

MileHigher

AKA Mile-Hybrid
@Brown
Reaction score
I just found out that the Gracies immigrated to Brazil via Scotland. Apparently a gentleman w/ red hair named George Gracie is responsible for the Gracie dynasty that emerged in Brazil. I had no idea.

Last edited:
No.

But don't care too much to be honest, they are overrated.

No.

But don't care too much to be honest, they are overrated.

453025.jpg

Yeah. I was also shocked when i found out

Yes, his 1st gi was actually made of red plaid and modeled after a kilt

Attachments

• lcrjmkk0xcd01.jpg
    lcrjmkk0xcd01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 69
They don't look very Scottish

I would've guessed Portuguese, Italian, or Spanish

William Wallace Gracie by Armbar... :)

They don't look very Scottish

I would've guessed Portuguese, Italian, or Spanish

They probably are Portuguese and Italian as well and likely a higher percentage since they were likely having kids with people who were more Portuguese or Italian, not sure about Spanish though. Brazil had a lot of immigrants from Portugal and Italy, way more than from Scottland.

They probably are Portuguese and Italian as well and likely a higher percentage since they were likely having kids with people who were more Portuguese or Italian, not sure about Spanish though. Brazil had a lot of immigrants from Portugal and Italy, way more than from Scottland.
They've had far more immigrants from Germany than any UK country if I am not mistaken.

They've had far more immigrants from Germany than any UK country if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, they didn't have many immigrants from the UK but the last time I was curious and looked most seemed to come from Portugal, Italy and to a lesser extent Germany. So I would guess that most Gracies don't have a lot of Scottish genes anymore after being in Brazil for generations.

Brazil is a very miscegenated country, i am, myself, from french and portuguese origin. No surprise.

Back