Did you know the Gracie family originated in Scotland?

MileHigher

AKA Mile-Hybrid
@Brown
Reaction score
I just found out that the Gracies immigrated to Brazil via Scotland. Apparently a gentleman w/ red hair named George Gracie is responsible for the Gracie dynasty that emerged in Brazil. I had no idea.

Last edited:
No.

But don't care too much to be honest, they are overrated.

No.

But don't care too much to be honest, they are overrated.

453025.jpg

Yes, his 1st gi was actually made of red plaid and modeled after a kilt

Attachments

• lcrjmkk0xcd01.jpg
    lcrjmkk0xcd01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 69
They don't look very Scottish

I would've guessed Portuguese, Italian, or Spanish

William Wallace Gracie by Armbar... :)

They don't look very Scottish

I would've guessed Portuguese, Italian, or Spanish

They probably are Portuguese and Italian as well and likely a higher percentage since they were likely having kids with people who were more Portuguese or Italian, not sure about Spanish though. Brazil had a lot of immigrants from Portugal and Italy, way more than from Scottland.

They probably are Portuguese and Italian as well and likely a higher percentage since they were likely having kids with people who were more Portuguese or Italian, not sure about Spanish though. Brazil had a lot of immigrants from Portugal and Italy, way more than from Scottland.
They've had far more immigrants from Germany than any UK country if I am not mistaken.

They've had far more immigrants from Germany than any UK country if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, they didn't have many immigrants from the UK but the last time I was curious and looked most seemed to come from Portugal, Italy and to a lesser extent Germany. So I would guess that most Gracies don't have a lot of Scottish genes anymore after being in Brazil for generations.

Brazil is a very miscegenated country, i am, myself, from french and portuguese origin. No surprise.

Back