Do guys think something like Krav Maga works?

Probably 85% of all Krav Maga practitioners would forget all techniques in a real situation.

I mean srsly if someone would pull a gun on you would you try to do some kind of technique or just give your wallet?

yes krav maga works. Yes there is sparring in a traditional krav maga class with out those big stupid looking suits, but kicks to the balls, eye gouging, fish hooking and all the other potentially dangerous manuevers are not allowed, basically sparring in krav maga is like sparring in muay thai. The main problem with krav maga and most if not all the videos on youtube is that krav maga is being taught by people trying to make a quick buck off the hype. most of these people come from other martial art backgrounds and are just pulling shit out of there ass and calling it krav maga. For real krav maga training a person should seek an intructor who was trained by the IDF/ israeli defense forces or by the Haim Zuit orginization. If someone says they were in israeli special forces it does not mean they recieved krav maga training for more than a few hours, but if they were in a commando unit or the mosad then they have recieved countless hours of solid training. also take note that in a krav maga class the first few times you practice disarming someone with a gun or knife it will be in slow motion in order to learn and correct the mistakes being made but after technique is solid the speed and power must be increased, if its not then you are in a bullshit krav maga class and waisting your money. Bottom line go with an instructor that was IDF trained or Haim Zuit trained all other krav maga intructors are a waist of time and money

krav maga is muay thai for stand up, judo for throws and ground work and gun disarms that probably came from British WW2 combatives in the beginning. It's not very different MMA but it has an eye for cheating because it's military combatives. Some people can argue that because it isn't used in a ring it's t3h de4dly, but remember it's used in the battlefield which is the other way to weed out bad techniques.

So said my instructor anyway. I actually didn't train Krav Maga with him, though he was an instructor in the IKMF. I was learning JKD( he was a full instructor under Paul Vunak) from him before he passed away. My friend is a krav instructor under him, and he said that they trained mma style with full contact sparring. Coincidentally so did we in JKD.

EDIT: you have to realize that krav in the usa is watered down so housewives can train it without the bumps and bruises one would get in mma type sparring. Hell most krav in the usa isn't krav, as practiced by the IDF. They kinda save the cutting edge stuff for israelis and give the outdated or less effective to everybody else

Last edited:
Some people can argue that because it isn't used in a ring it's t3h de4dly, but remember it's used in the battlefield which is the other way to weed out bad techniques.

don't be retarded unless people are using krav maga instead of rifles tanks and jets the modern batlefield is in no way suited to weed out good or bad hand to hand combat techniques

don't be retarded unless people are using krav maga instead of rifles tanks and jets the modern batlefield is in no way suited to weed out good or bad hand to hand combat techniques

You're being asinine. First, there is sparring. Second, krav maga isn't fought in a battlefield. Its all urban combat, which is often close quarters. its not as if any military arbitrarily teaches their army techniques without pressure testing. Assuming they do a is retarded. For example, would you say that they Marine Corps threw random techniques together to make MCMAP, or did they consult experts in martial arts and H2H , and subsequently pressure test, refine, re-work, and weed out before putting out a final product?

Probably 85% of all Krav Maga practitioners would forget all techniques in a real situation.

I mean srsly if someone would pull a gun on you would you try to do some kind of technique or just give your wallet?

Not really, they are quite easy to remember. :wink:

You're being asinine. First, there is sparring. Second, krav maga isn't fought in a battlefield. Its all urban combat, which is often close quarters. its not as if any military arbitrarily teaches their army techniques without pressure testing. Assuming they do a is retarded. For example, would you say that they Marine Corps threw random techniques together to make MCMAP, or did they consult experts in martial arts and H2H , and subsequently pressure test, refine, re-work, and weed out before putting out a final product?

don't fall for the marketing bro no modern army uses hand to hand combat techniques they have rifles and pistols for urban combat they also call in airstrikes any techniques that doesn't involve guns and grenades is useless on a modern batlefield and yes the mcmap is just as bad i know a few instuctors of it its useless if you have a rifle and all marines have a rifle

don't fall for the marketing bro no modern army uses hand to hand combat techniques they have rifles and pistols for urban combat they also call in airstrikes any techniques that doesn't involve guns and grenades is useless on a modern batlefield and yes the mcmap is just as bad i know a few instuctors of it its useless if you have a rifle and all marines have a rifle

Uh dude, I have four friends that served in the IDF. I asked them how they train. My JKD teacher, taught krav maga to Special Forces in the settlements. So I asked them before I posted my second comment. It's not hype for Israelis. Americans on the other hand... think it's teh de3dly. While krav maga( read H2H) isn't the most important part of a soldier's arsenal nowadays, it's still a very important part of the IDF's training because in many instances they don't carry fire arms. I am think of enlisting this fall, I can give you a first hand experience with the training if I do.

Anyway I had saved a video of it being used, by undercover soldiers but YouTube removed it. Oh well.

Uh dude, I have four friends that served in the IDF. I asked them how they train. My JKD teacher, taught krav maga to Special Forces in the settlements. So I asked them before I posted my second comment. It's not hype for Israelis. Americans on the other hand... think it's teh de3dly. While krav maga( read H2H) isn't the most important part of a soldier's arsenal nowadays, it's still a very important part of the IDF's training because in many instances they don't carry fire arms. I am think of enlisting this fall, I can give you a first hand experience with the training if I do.

Anyway I had saved a video of it being used, by undercover soldiers but YouTube removed it. Oh well.

did you ask them if they ever batlefield tested krav against multiple attackers or people with knives and guns without their guns? how do they weed out the bad techniques do they watch someone get killed and report back to their instructors that particular techniques is bad? if you find that video again i would love to see it video proof of krav maga's effectiveness with h2h against multiple attackers or guns and knives would certainly change my opinion

did you ask them if they ever batlefield tested krav against multiple attackers or people with knives and guns without their guns? how do they weed out the bad techniques do they watch someone get killed and report back to their instructors that particular techniques is bad?
Yes they do take statistics of those who have died in such and such a scenario unarmed. That's a BIG part of the art"s development. They take statistics of everything, and re-evaluate the techniques YEARLY. They also do train unarmed against multiple attackers who have weapons. You can watch that on the Human Weapon/ Fight Quest episodes on it.

if you find that video again i would love to see it video proof of krav maga's effectiveness with h2h against multiple attackers or guns and knives would certainly change my opinion
If I find it I will pm it to you right away. Think of lots of knees to the face from a thai clinch with eye gouging with the thumbs. That what really stuck out in my mind. They also pulled on one guys nose with their fingers in his nostrils. If I find it I will send it to you ASAP.

Anybody who thinks that you can defend against a knife has never played against me on mw2

Anybody who thinks that you can defend against a knife has never played against me on mw2

you cant defend against a knife imo. Defang that snake! And btw, my halo skillz totally pwn ur mw2 skills =p

I found "Krav Maga gym" in my city and the trainer has got these certificates: this and this. I don't know how trainings look like yet, but does these certificates mean that he is good at it and can teach something? :D

so hypothetically speaking...if an mma guy is gonna attack me on the street or try to rob me or something ? is the person that knows krav maga screwed? because mma is superior??

I figured krav can really hurt anyone, because of the training they have is very deadly, quick and effective, its not a long drawn out take you down, get mount, etc, etc..

based on this....I would say that it depends on who the faster runner is. MMA is about competing. It's a fight-sport. Sounds more like Krav Maga is more geared toward survival. So if KM guy runs, gets away, and survives -- KM wins.

Krav Maga is self defense. It incorporates strikes from Muay Thai, boxing and the ever popular groin kicks. Also, it teaches wrestling defense and jiu jitsu chokes.

However, the first thing taught in KM is that you should never stay on the ground in a street fight. Sounds harder than it is, but a good Krav Maga instructor shows you ways to always stay on your feet, and defend yourself just enough so you can run away.

Yes, run away.
That is the most basic principle of Krav Maga...staying alive. This isn't a sport combat where you showcase your skills and spar and prove you're the #1 KM fighter in the world. This art was invented for the streets where staying alive is doing whatever is necessary and then running away to safety.

Kicks to the groin and elbows to the back of someone's head is heavily encourage, most people think this hybrid martial art is a joke, but quite simply it's not.

The most difficult aspect of Krav Maga is finding a legit school and teacher. Once you do, however, you'll be pleasantly surprised ( like I was ).

The martial art developed and used in the Israeli army over the course of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? Yeah, it probably doesn't suck.

the first hald of that sounds like a sweeping generalization. But I really hope nobody thinks their wallet is worth taking on someone with a gun.

Last edited:
Good practical techniques and philosophy, even incorporates psychology. Weapons defence, multiple attackers etc. But it's not a striking or grappling art, meaning you won't reach a high level of skill in either facet just by training KM. Sparring is also very limited.

It's a great addition to any other training you have if your focus is real world.

Krav Maga is good if you live in a shitty hood and have to deal with little punks... you learn reflexes to destroy somebody very quick in a dangerous situation...

Knife defense is.... knife defense I guess. My Krav Maga teacher told that the best defense against a knife attack were a gun or a good pair of running shoes.

Don't forget that most Krav Maga gyms recommend you to pick up a combat sport for striking... boxing or mt that is...

Against a trained fighter, its another story...

as far as i can tell, much of what is marketed as krav maga isn't really some systematic martial art.

I disagree with this. I've trained in several martial arts over the years and I've never had training anywhere else like I've had with KM. Nowhere else have I stood in a circle of people with my eyes closed, and been choked or grabbed at random from different directions and had to react. It's drills like this that really burn the techniques into your brain to the point where they are completely reactive. It's all muscle memory. You don't "forget" the technique, because there's nothing to remember. There's nothing to think about.

Of course, this is all assuming that the practitioners had a good instructor. Just like any other style, it's not the art itself but how it's taught and trained that matters.

My buddy in the Marines, who also trained MMA for about a year before he enlisted, told me about a few fights he's gotten into. Not surprisingly, it wasn't the techniques that he learned at the gym or from MCMAP that kicked in, it was his KM training.

The disarming techniques are only for the worst case scenario. Any KM instructor worth a damn will tell you to just give up your wallet. The technique is for what happens when you hand over your wallet and the guy still has his gun pointed at you and isn't leaving.

If you've already given him everything and he's still there, chances are he's going to kill you. If you're going to get shot, you'd be better off using the technique you've practiced instead of just standing there. At least then you have a fighting chance.

Back