Do normal people just have lawyers on retainer for no reason?

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I watch a LOT of police videos. like dozens every day, they are so fascinating and often hilarious. Something I've noticed is like 90% of people getting arrested or even just questioned immediately parrot "CALL MY LAWYER RIGHT NOW / IM CALLING MY LAWYER / DAAAAAAD CALL OUR LAWYER!!!"

I've never needed a lawyer for anything. Ever. And I dont see any reason to have a lawyer on speed dial. How would a conversation even go meeting with one? "yea I may be doing crime in the future and could need your services" ????

If youre super rich sure, may as well. But for the average person I dont get it

I'm guessing most of the average people who say that don't actually pay a fee or whatever to keep a lawyer on standby, they probably just have a lawyer in the family or childhood friend or something.

Side note: I wish they would bring back Live PD. Watching the cops chase around all the methheads on ATVs and lawnmowers in Pahrump Nevada was peak reality TV.

Last edited:
I watch a LOT of police videos. like dozens every day, they are so fascinating and often hilarious. Something I've noticed is like 90% of people getting arrested or even just questioned immediately parrot "CALL MY LAWYER RIGHT NOW / IM CALLING MY LAWYER / DAAAAAAD CALL OUR LAWYER!!!"

I've never needed a lawyer for anything. Ever. And I dont see any reason to have a lawyer on speed dial. How would a conversation even go meeting with one? "yea I may be doing crime in the future and could need your services" ????

If youre super rich sure, may as well. But for the average person I dont get it

I've been doing this for a while now and you're right. My guess is these people don't have a lawyer and they think by saying this it will either scare the cops enough to let them go or stop searching their car\person etc.

I'm guessing most of the average people who say that don't actually pay a fee or whatever to keep a lawyer on standby, they probably just have a lawyer in the family or childhood friend or something.

Side note: I wish they would bring back Live PD. Watching the cops chase around all the methheads on ATVs and lawnmowers IN Pahrump Nevada was peak reality TV.

They basically have all this on youtube now. They don't make these shows because people just upload the cam feeds from cops on youtube now. Several channels just dedicated to uploading these cam vids.

The funniest thing is how many people simply think they don't have to listen to the cop.

"Maam you need to get off the phone.", "Hold on! I'm talking to my dad!" - says man\women who is in their early 20's.

Pretty soon "Layer" will be an app. AI has proven right now to be better than any lawyer

Lol. Some of you are so clueless it's hilarious.

As for the thread question, no most people don't have lawyers on retainer. This isn't the Sopranos. Many people do use lawyers for estate planning, family law etc though.

Last edited:
Well it sounds better than saying " I refuse to answer questions that may incriminate myself". Which in its self is always a solid response as the police are never asking questions to help your cause in those scenarios.

Pretty soon "Layer" will be an app. AI has proven right now to be better than any lawyer
There is already an app, forget the name, where for like $15 a month you get a subscription that will connect you with a lawyer specializing in any field in under 30 seconds. Through Webcam, phone, or text your preference.

This app actually does make sense to have if you got spare cash each month. But that's not what the morons are talking about in these police videos. I'm 95% sure they are bluffing and have never talked to a lawyer in their life(except a public defender once maybe)

Generally no, most people don’t have a lawyer, other than the very wealthy, or people living in smaller towns where you’d likely use the same lawyer over and over for every number of matters. In larger cities most lawyers specialize in one particular area of law: personal injury, family law, criminal, labour & employment, real estate, wills & estate administration. However, in smaller towns a lot of lawyers will likely more often be general practitioners. That’s what I did from 2014-2019 while I was working at a smaller town about 15 minutes outside of Edmonton, being a Jack of all trades type lawyer. During that time I would have clients that would consider me “their lawyer” as I’d help them with a variety of issues over the years. For example, one particular client kept me quite busy over that five years as I helped them with all of the following:

-represented them in the purchase of their condo
-drafted their will
-defended their business in a wrongful dismissal claim from an employee they fired
-represented them in a divorce of their third marriage
-refinanced their mortgage
-helped them sell their business
-represent them or their business in any number of civil litigation claims (eg suing some small time contractor paid to do a renovation to the home that never delivered on the work)
-helped them probate the will and administer the estate of a recently deceased loved one
-drafted their prenup for their fourth marriage

I’d like to think that after all of that they would scream “call my lawyer!” while being arrested and be referring to me (although I don’t practice criminal law and never have, so I would’ve referred them elsewhere to a lawyer that does).

But even with that client, they didn’t have me on some ongoing retainer, like “here’s $10,000 to hold in trust as a retainer for whenever I need you”. It would just be me billing them for my services as I provided them, taking retainers wherever appropriate at the start of a new matter.

It's more or less the smart thing to say, it's just that they're using clumsy phrasing. If you get arrested in the US, you should say something along the lines of "I invoke my right to have an attorney present." Miranda rights involve your right to have your lawyer present while being questioned. The second you say that, police can no longer continue interrogating you and trying to pry a confession out of you until you 1. have a lawyer, and 2. the lawyer is present. At the time Miranda v. Arizona took place the court envisioned the police going out and bringing you a lawyer, but in practice they can't be bothered. They know they won't get a confession out of you with a lawyer present, so what ends up happening is they just stop asking questions altogether. If you're not free to go, you'll be put in detention and from there you can call your family and get them to find you a lawyer.

Generally no, most people don’t have a lawyer, other than the very wealthy, or people living in smaller towns where you’d likely use the same lawyer over and over for every number of matters. In larger cities most lawyers specialize in one particular area of law: personal injury, family law, criminal, labour & employment, real estate, wills & estate administration. However, in smaller towns a lot of lawyers will likely more often be general practitioners. That’s what I did from 2014-2019 while I was working at a smaller town about 15 minutes outside of Edmonton, being a Jack of all trades type lawyer. During that time I would have clients that would consider me “their lawyer” as I’d help them with a variety of issues over the years. For example, one particular client kept me quite busy over that five years as I helped them with all of the following:

-represented them in the purchase of their condo
-drafted their will
-defended their business in a wrongful dismissal claim from an employee they fired
-represented them in a divorce of their third marriage
-refinanced their mortgage
-helped them sell their business
-represent them or their business in any number of civil litigation claims (eg suing some small time contractor paid to do a renovation to the home that never delivered on the work)
-helped them probate the will and administer the estate of a recently deceased loved one
-drafted their prenup for their fourth marriage

I’d like to think that after all of that they would scream “call my lawyer!” while being arrested and be referring to me (although I don’t practice criminal law and never have, so I would’ve referred them elsewhere to a lawyer that does).

But even with that client, they didn’t have me on some ongoing retainer, like “here’s $10,000 to hold in trust as a retainer for whenever I need you”. It would just be me billing them for my services as I provided them, taking retainers wherever appropriate at the start of a new matter.
That’s a client that could put your kids through college.

Nice catch

There is already an app, forget the name, where for like $15 a month you get a subscription that will connect you with a lawyer specializing in any field in under 30 seconds. Through Webcam, phone, or text your preference.

This app actually does make sense to have if you got spare cash each month. But that's not what the morons are talking about in these police videos. I'm 95% sure they are bluffing and have never talked to a lawyer in their life(except a public defender once maybe)

I was talking about an AI lawyer, not an actual real lawyer. There was a thread recently made a few months ago about 20 real attorneys from a good law firm going up against an AI in a court case and the AI made better arguments than what argument all 20 of them can put together

I was talking about an AI app on your phone that can make arguments for you in a court case

No, and neither do the people who say that. People with lawyers on retainer aren't criminal defense lawyers, the people who say that are people who've been arrested several times before and mean whoever they used for the last one, or they just said because they heard other people say it on TV.

I legitimately have a personal lawyer on call, but it's not because I'm rich or dodgy. One of my best friends is a lawyer, and he helped settle my dads estate for the cost of dinner and booze. He already told me that if I ever find myself in a sticky situation, call him first.

I legitimately have a personal lawyer on call, but it's not because I'm rich or dodgy. One of my best friends is a lawyer, and he helped settle my dads estate for the cost of dinner and booze. He already told me that if I ever find myself in a sticky situation, call him first.
This is grounds to avoid. I had a family member who had a Lawyer friend that liked to be paid in my family members legit oxy script. Needless to say, they sent a mortgage payment that was cashed and the bank claimed they didnt cash it. So they tried to fight it and were behind on mortgage payments and lost their house. Lawyer told them they should hold onto the mortgage payments until they resolve the "cashed" payment. Bunch of idiots. Never pay with Money Orders. But thats not even the point. Never trust a Lawyer most likely strung out on Oxy.

Last edited:
Back