Social Do people still care about MMA?

I don't watch it nearly as much as I used to. Too watered down now.

I was never a typical MMA fan. Not really a fan of any fighters on a personal level. Most people who would choose to fight for a living even the successful ones are kind of dirt baggy and life a lifestyle that is selfish and hard on their families. They don't really show you the dark side of the life style in the promos. The vast majority of fighter interviews make me cringe.

I also don't subscribe to the "fighters are so brave" mentality either. I don't think pro fighting is particularly brave. It's a controlled environment. You know what I think is brave? Taking care of your responsibilities, not being a burden on others and not giving into basic, neanderthalian instincts when you don't get your way.

I know it's gonna sound bad, but the main draw for me to MMA has always been seeing stupid people fall. The GSP's, Silva's and Jon Jones of the world are boring as hell. What I like seeing is some criminal looking uneducated dude coming in and getting his ass beat by a Wonderboy.

I watch a ridiculous amount of MMA. Dozens of fights a week.
Same. Still as interested as I ever was. Been watching for 26 years and counting, probably will until I'm dead. I still go back and watch old fights on the reg. Martial arts movies, kickboxing, muay thai, grappling, you name it. I've just always had a deep appreciation for martial arts in general.

I suppose I came to be a huge fan bc my early life was just the perfect storm. My mom's ex husband, whom she married when I was 6, he was an Asian guy who grew up watching Shaw Bros. films. He would watch them with me. I had already found JCVD, Karate Kid, Steven Seagal, Cynthia Rothrock, the Rocky films, American Ninja, and a slew of B movie martial arts "classics" before he even came along. After finding out about the Shaw Bros. films and other Hong King classics I ended up with Chinese Pug and named him Shaolin. I was always a fan of pro wrestling since I can remember, and I started watching boxing on USA and HBO in the early 90's. I started TKD around that time (and dropped out of TKD within 2 years lol). Then I found Wutang Clan not long after, who were referencing all the martial arts films of which I'd already become a huge fan. Then the UFC and MMA came into existence, and there was no turning back. I found it to be the most exciting and interesting aspect of martial arts back in the early days. Who will win, this karate guy or this grappler? The "kung fu master," or the "pit fighter?" The reasons if my interest evolved as the sport evolved, but the level of my interest has never changed.

Suffice to say it truly was the perfect storm, and martial arts and MMA are just as popular with me as they've ever been. Life long fan, always will be, and Idgaf whether any of those things are popular in the mainstream. There will always be fans like you and me who will always enjoy a fight, no matter the situation or relevance to everyone else in society.

I respect your enduring love of the game.

I still watch it, but I don't have my eyeballs glued edge of my seat situation. More often than not it is just background noise. Plus with two small kids these days it is very hard to commit myself to sitting on the couch for hours on end watching guys fight.

from a huge fan i have gone from watching 99% of the events live which was till 6am to missing 99% events live and only catching gifs & not even bother watching

not a missed a shogun fight live since griffin 1 as you couldn't watch pride live but I've missed his last few fights & not even bothered watching

just ain't the same now

I’m gonna get back into it and have fun catching up after I sign up for BJJ class. Looking for late December to enroll, since I’ll have met my dietary and fitness goals training wise by then.

This forum is my only remaining link to MMA. I watch a fight here and there, but I stopped buying PPVs a while ago.

This forum is my only remaining link to MMA. I watch a fight here and there, but I stopped buying PPVs a while ago.

Same. Last ppv I bought was gsp vs bisping. Great card btw

Use to not miss a fight.

Now, I'll watch what they throw on YouTube. Sometimes hit up the vlog leading up to the fights.

Im more intrigued by the training, lifestyle, dedication than the fights nowadays

How many solid MMA movies are there vs. solid boxing movies? Recently?

Stopped caring after the last of the GOAT era (Anderson, GSP, Jones) but we still get a good group together for the bigger events.

It should have been left as a spectacle rather than having a bunch of weekly cans like they do now.

<{cruzshake}><36><{hughesimpress}>

Reactions: Zer
Just like boxing, only care about big fights. Dustin vs Charles only card I'm interest in.

I pretty much stopped caring when Fedor retired. I'd still be down for stuff like Rizin NYE or whatever but UFC couldn't be more stale to me

I still like it, but I don’t watch it anywhere near as much as I did 2006-2011. Once I graduated law school and started working, then married, my time to watch it went down. Then when I became a father in 2015 my time available to watch went down even further. Since about 2017 I try to catch maybe 2-3 cards a year and that’s all I’ve been able to do. Whereas I caught literally every single card and episode of TUF from 2007-2010.

Back