Do you all agree McGregor has been the most influential fighter in MMA history ??

Please. If you can't see how the landscape has been changed in both the octagon interviews and pre fight pressers, then you haven't been watching mma very long. There have always been trash talk, but not to the level McGregor took it, and nowhere near as ridiculous. Now everybody and their manager is talking on twitter or instagram.
But if that's all you got from my post, I don't really care.
Only 12 years or so. I also watch boxing.

If that's all I got that's becuse that's all you said.

do you honestly think Chuck is most recognized ? LOL

just a hint: No one knows who Chuck is outside of USA. Did you know there are other countries?
I didn't realize you speak for everyone.

Just a hint: Chuck has done a lot more than just fighting.

Influential towards whom? New kids and common folk watching this sport? I might agree with that. Most influential in terms of fight style, technique, and other sport specific stuff, especially regarding other fighters? I don't agree. He definitely is the most popular one though.

Once again fame does not equal influence. There are many fighters who have influenced MMA much more than McGregor. You wouldn't even know who he is without them.

Not even close. He really has not turned into anything other than flavor of the month/fad yet. He refuses to do the one thing that proves he'd have lasting longevity in the sport.

5E1F7B32-1E2F-4B1D-993A-4C6FC437AA27.jpeg

Royce put MMA on the map, and Rickson... well, Conor copies all of his gymnastica-natural moves. All the yoga, breathing exercises, movement and stability...Rickson did this so very long ago.

Without Conor we'd probably still have Fertitta at the helm.... So not real pleased about that. The place has gone downhill ever since he left.

Conor himself isn't an original, so I don't see how he would be considered the most influential.

He has:
- Entertaining fight style - This is nothing new, from Anderson, to Fedor, Wanderlei, Liddell, Jones, Rua, Rumble

- Big wins - Do you really mean big wins or impressive showings? Because he only has three big wins: Mendes, Aldo and Alvarez. Beating Nick Diaz wasn't big, he avenged a loss in a weight class neither fighter belongs in. Poirier also wasn't big, it proved Conor was legit, and can be called a statement win, but wasn't that big of a deal.

- 2 title holder - The 3rd of 4 people to accomplish this in the UFC. Dan Henderson did before him in Pride and beat another fighter considered an all-time great at that point in his career.

- Biggest PPV events - Sold the most PPV's still not as big as UFC 100 IMO, not sure where his fights sit in total attendance or revenue.

- Biggest mainstream impact - Mainstream impact is copying the wrestling tycoon Vince McMahon's walk, which Conor admits, and being mocked for his warm-up routine. Rousey was arguably bigger before getting beat.

- 1/2 of sherdog threads being about him - I'd say 50% Khabib right now. 50% Francis leading up to his title match with Stipe. Nearly 50% about Kevin Lee coming off of his win over Barbosa.

My mom knows who Chuck Liddell is because of dancing with the stars. She has no idea who conor is.

Influential in general culture? Sure, he's the most celebritized fighter the sport has ever seen.

Influential on the sport? I don't believe so.

I think his time in the sport will be remembered as eventful but I can't see any way he'll leave a lasting impact.

I agree, but not in a good way. To be honest, he is probably the worst thing that ever happened to MMA.

Funny to see people say no and then go on a rant about things not related to the question as their reason.

He is the most popular in terms of PPV buys. Is arguably the most famous with the other contenders being Ronda and Brock.

He is not the most influential. How has he changed the game? What has he influenced other people to do other than Dana to lick his balls at every opportunity?

Back