Do you consider BJ Penn to be top 10 all time?

BJ's peak was phenomenal, even more so than Khabib's.

You could absolutely make the argument that the gap between him and his closest divisional peers at his peak was wider than Khabib's. BJ vs. Diego was the biggest mismatch in a title fight I had even seen (and still might be). Diego simply had zero chance.

The other side is obviously that his longevity was somewhat lacking, and his bouncing around in weight class, fighting out of weight class, etc...sort of limited his volume of career accomplishment and (along with a relative lack of work ethic some of his career) probably drained his batteries more quickly than might have otherwise been.

"Top 5/10" win has a different connotation over time as the game moves forward, which it certainly has for the smaller guys (unlike LHW and HW) and divisions get deeper in talent internationally. A win against a 7th ranked guy in 2008 is likely to not be as impressive straight across as a win against a 7th ranked guy in 2023, so a little bit of mental curving is required on that front comparing across eras.

I've always cataloged him in my head as a third-tier great:

(In no order):
1st Tier: GSP/Jones/Silva/Fedor
2nd Tier: Guys like Mighty Mouse/Aldo/Hughes/Volk/Khabib/Israel
3rd Tier: Guys like Big Nog, Stipe, Max, Hendo, etc...

Huh? Which one of those fights did he win?

Legitimate question: did you take the time to snip that part of my post because you can't read very well and actually don't understand what I wrote, or did you tbink it was worth your effort to intentionally misquote me in order to look clever?

He beat Hughes.

He’s probably close to Top 10. The four title wins at 155 and beating a prime Hughes for the 170 belt should solidify him as at least Top 15. For what it’s worth, Fight Matrix has him listed at number 10.

Those two Frankie Edgar fights ruined BJ and his confidence, ironically Edgar's tail end of his career didn't go much better. Some of the most brutal ko's
In recent memory is watching Edgar get knocked out viciously cold.

Not top 10 but he's in the top 25-30 I'm sure

Nevermind the record and all the losses, the biggest thing holding him back is the fact that he lost to Frankie Edgar 3x in his prime.

lol that third fight was not his prime. I’ll give you the first two fights but those were his last two good fights. That’s where the decline started (Edgar 2 at UFC 118).

Back