Do you find this Oliveira situation by missing weight by .5lbs kind of silly?

Do you find this Oliveira situation by missing .5lbs kind of silly?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware that Charles had to make championship weight to be able to defend his belt and not vacate it. Although, I believe the whole system is messed up. For one thing why have it one way just by .5lbs difference to the rest of the card where you can fight 155.5lbs? And those fights are still ok to fight with no issues.

I mean there could be many factors that come to play in why he couldn't cut .5lbs. Maybe the scale he uses is messed up, who knows. (Not calibrated properly.)

But I find it silly that it's like that imo. I mean they balloon up anyways to whatever weight they feel comfortable in after the official weigh ins.

I don't know, I just find the whole thing weird. And I think they should have gave him exception for just .5lbs. And they should do that for all title fights from now on.

Just my two cents, Oh well hopefully we still get a great back and forth war tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yeah
Fuck the system!

82092-Eminem-middle-finger-gif-2tZu.gif

Lol they don't need to change the rules cause one champion missed weight after how many title fights in UFC history? Are we in the hundreds yet?
Rules should be changed for something that happens less than 1% of the time? <Lmaoo>

It's not because of one champion, it's just base on common sense. Why have everyone else be able to fight 155.5 and than just because it's a championship fight the fighters have to fight at 155 with .5lbs leeway. To me it's ridiculous. It's not because I like Oliveira, I think the rule should change for all these title fights. That's just my opinion.

No, its part of being the champion. You need to be an example for everyone.

There is a reason people were searching for non-existent misweights in Abu Dhabi when Khabib weigh in. But there was nothing to find. Khabib made the championship weight with a broken foot and mumps before the fight.

I'm fully aware that Charles had to make championship weight to be able to defend his belt and not vacate it. Although, I believe the whole system is messed up. For one thing why have it one way just by .5lbs difference to the rest of the card where you can fight 155.5lbs? And those fights are still ok to fight with no issues.

I mean there could be many factors that come to play in why he couldn't cut .5lbs. Maybe the scale he uses is messed up, who knows. (Not calibrated properly.)

But I find it silly that it's like that imo. I mean they balloon up anyways to whatever weight they feel comfortable in after the official weigh ins.

I don't know, I just find the whole thing weird. And I think they should have gave him exception for just .5lbs. And they should do that for all title fights from now on.

Just my two cents, Oh well hopefully we still a great back and forth war tomorrow.

the scale wasnt messed up when justin hit 155 before him. if he had a scale in his room that doesnt matter tha ufc has a scale set up the whole time. that why during fight weeks you see fighting always going to it to weight them selfs.

Yes because they're not as strict and consistent with it everywhere. DC should have been stripped himself during towel gate. And I'm sure they let a lot of other fighters get away with it.

I mean, everyone understood the rules before hand and this is nothing new. So nah, can't say this is ridiculous on the ruleset end. It's ridiculous that the champion missed weight.

Actually, the whole weight cutting thing in general is ridiculous and I'd rather have a OneFC style weight system, but here we are.

I get why so many people are questioning how you going to take his belt for .5 pounds but the weight limit for title fights have been the same for awhile now. The scale yes could have been inaccurate like people are saying how did he have 1 hour and didn't drop any additional weight?

Rules are rules

But yeah, half a pound is a little silly, but there has to be a cut off.

The whole way weight is handled in combat sports is silly. The fact that you're at your "weight" for like 5 minutes the day before the fight and that you can gain as much weight as you can manage before the actual fight is silly.

I understand why fighters do it, it's the way the rules are currently laid out, and choosing not to cut would leave you at way too much of a disadvantage. 20 lb of muscle is giant in a sport where grappling plays such a prominent role.

I don't know that there is an easy fix for this. Same-day weigh-ins could increase the risk of fighters entering the cage dehydrated, further increasing the risk of serious injury or, God forbid, death.

Same day weigh-ins would have to be coupled with strict hydration tests to minimize these risks.

A "cap" could also be introduced regarding what weight you are allowed to enter the cage at in relation to your weight class. Ex: 155-can't weigh more than 165 when entering the cage. Hydration tests would need to be a factor here as well.

A downside of this however is that fights could literally be canceled the moment before they take place. That could be a major hit for the promotion, the fighters involved and the fans who paid for the show.

Back