Do you find this Oliveira situation by missing weight by .5lbs kind of silly?

Do you find this Oliveira situation by missing .5lbs kind of silly?

• Total voters
It’s a fucking rule. I honestly don’t understand how so many of you think rules and laws don’t matter. Grow up.
The point isn't that rules and laws don't matter, they question the specific rule because all fights in the division allow for a pound allowance. It shouldn't be any different for the belt, if you can get a title shot with a pound allowance, you should be able to win the belt with it as well. Rules and Laws aren't permanent they make adjustments or get rid of them altogether depending on the situations and current times. So to question a rule/law has nothing to do about thinking laws/rules don't matter. Questioning if the rule/law makes sense is logical and has been going on forever.

Changing a law/rule is as simple as getting enough people to question it and/or to get enough people to vote against it or vote to change it.

The whole way weight is handled in combat sports is silly. The fact that you're at your "weight" for like 5 minutes the day before the fight and that you can gain as much weight as you can manage before the actual fight is silly.

I understand why fighters do it, it's the way the rules are currently laid out, and choosing not to cut would leave you at way too much of a disadvantage. 20 lb of muscle is giant in a sport where grappling plays such a prominent role.

I don't know that there is an easy fix for this. Same-day weigh-ins could increase the risk of fighters entering the cage dehydrated, further increasing the risk of serious injury or, God forbid, death.

Same day weigh-ins would have to be coupled with strict hydration tests to minimize these risks.

A "cap" could also be introduced regarding what weight you are allowed to enter the cage at in relation to your weight class. Ex: 155-can't weigh more than 165 when entering the cage. Hydration tests would need to be a factor here as well.

A downside of this however is that fights could literally be canceled the moment before they take place. That could be a major hit for the promotion, the fighters involved and the fans who paid for the show.

Well said man, thanks.

I would give them more time to make weight.

But yeah, you have to enforce the rules, that's the whole point of having rules.

The point isn't that rules and laws don't matter, they question the specific rule because all fights in the division allow for a pound allowance. It shouldn't be any different for the belt, if you can get a title shot with a pound allowance, you should be able to win the belt with it as well. Rules and Laws aren't permanent they make adjustments or get rid of them altogether depending on the situations and current times. So question a rule/law has nothing to do about thinking laws/rules don't matter. Questioning if the rule/law makes sense is logical and has been going on forever.

Changing a law/rule is as simple as getting enough people to question it and/or to get enough people to vote against it or vote to change it.

/this well said.

The part that is silly is the absurd amount of water weight these guys lose for this and then are like 170 by the next day after eating heavy and drinking alot of water

The championship weight rule is a bit silly, but, it is the rule.

So, really nothing to complain here.

He's fighting and accepting the consequences so it's fine. I find it more silly how people have immediately turned on him though. He will likely reveal after the fight that he had a acl/mcl sprain and couldn't get back on the bike to try to lose the weight and that it inhibited him from having a proper cut. The guy fought at 145 before ffs so obviously he is capable of doing it under normal circumstances.

He's going to get a huge payday here so I don't blame him for concealing an injury and wanting to get paid. Most people are just miserable and are slobbering at the opportunity to kick someone when they're down. Still rooting for him and do not care about "the belt"

It’s not the rules I don’t respect as much as the fact that we’ve had sketchy title fight weigh-ins in the past that already made a mockery of the rule.

Hl8DjLT4ncdf137Aa3iDyuKG2JESsNV8zE7sGV3bqk4.jpg

No, as the champ it is your obligation to make weight for a contracted fight and failing do so has consequences. He can still win the fight and win his next to get it back if he’s the best guy.

I mean, everyone understood the rules before hand and this is nothing new. So nah, can't say this is ridiculous on the ruleset end. It's ridiculous that the champion missed weight.

Actually, the whole weight cutting thing in general is ridiculous and I'd rather have a OneFC style weight system, but here we are.
What does OneFC do?

They need same day weigh ins.
So sick of this nonsense.

You sign the contract, you meet the contract.
Making weight is very hard, but a lot of these guys leave it too late, try to cut corners then hit a wall at the last minute.
If you’re 185 and need to be 155, diet properly, shed the weight slowly then dehydrate as little as possible. Don’t eat whatever you want until a week out then arrogantly try to water load.

If you voted you're fine with it most likely you have a bias against Oliveira

I'm fully aware that Charles had to make championship weight to be able to defend his belt and not vacate it. Although, I believe the whole system is messed up. For one thing why have it one way just by .5lbs difference to the rest of the card where you can fight 155.5lbs? And those fights are still ok to fight with no issues.

I mean there could be many factors that come to play in why he couldn't cut .5lbs. Maybe the scale he uses is messed up, who knows. (Not calibrated properly.)

But I find it silly that it's like that imo. I mean they balloon up anyways to whatever weight they feel comfortable in after the official weigh ins.

I don't know, I just find the whole thing weird. And I think they should have gave him exception for just .5lbs. And they should do that for all title fights from now on.

Just my two cents, Oh well hopefully we still get a great back and forth war tomorrow.

You're asking for an arbitrary change that wouldn't solve anything. If the rules had a .5 lb allowance then fighters could still miss weight by a lb and you would have the same problem.

Like with non title fights having 1 lb of allowance. Fighters still regularly miss weight because now they are trying to cut to 156 instead of 155.

Charles himself was forced up to 155 because he kept missing 145. And now we have the same problem. It's the fighter, not the weight that is the issue.

The whole way weight is handled in combat sports is silly. The fact that you're at your "weight" for like 5 minutes the day before the fight and that you can gain as much weight as you can manage before the actual fight is silly.

I understand why fighters do it, it's the way the rules are currently laid out, and choosing not to cut would leave you at way too much of a disadvantage. 20 lb of muscle is giant in a sport where grappling plays such a prominent role.

I don't know that there is an easy fix for this. Same-day weigh-ins could increase the risk of fighters entering the cage dehydrated, further increasing the risk of serious injury or, God forbid, death.

Same day weigh-ins would have to be coupled with strict hydration tests to minimize these risks.

A "cap" could also be introduced regarding what weight you are allowed to enter the cage at in relation to your weight class. Ex: 155-can't weigh more than 165 when entering the cage. Hydration tests would need to be a factor here as well.

A downside of this however is that fights could literally be canceled the moment before they take place. That could be a major hit for the promotion, the fighters involved and the fans who paid for the show.
“A downside to this could be that we tank the entire sport”

I'm fully aware that Charles had to make championship weight to be able to defend his belt and not vacate it. Although, I believe the whole system is messed up. For one thing why have it one way just by .5lbs difference to the rest of the card where you can fight 155.5lbs? And those fights are still ok to fight with no issues.

I mean there could be many factors that come to play in why he couldn't cut .5lbs. Maybe the scale he uses is messed up, who knows. (Not calibrated properly.)

But I find it silly that it's like that imo. I mean they balloon up anyways to whatever weight they feel comfortable in after the official weigh ins.

I don't know, I just find the whole thing weird. And I think they should have gave him exception for just .5lbs. And they should do that for all title fights from now on.

Just my two cents, Oh well hopefully we still get a great back and forth war tomorrow.

No matter where the line is, the line has to be somewhere. If they let them fight at 155.5, 156, 160, whatever, some guy would still miss by half a pound at some point. And if you allow an “exception” of 0.5 pounds, then you’re just saying the line is 155.5….

No matter where the line is, the line has to be somewhere. If they let them fight at 155.5, 156, 160, whatever, some guy would still miss by half a pound at some point. And if you allow an “exception” of 0.5 pounds, then you’re just saying the line is 155.5….

Good point, thanks.

I'm ok with the rule but it needs to be applied to everyone equally and I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

Back