Social Do You Know Anyone with an E-Bike?

Yea, 2 of my mates have e-mtb. Both are in their 60s and need the help as things aren't as easy to get up as they used to be...
I remember last year chasing an old man on an emtb. I was on my gravel bike and the route was a slow ascent which is doable but quite challenging. I remember grinding out 25kmh on that route until I was able to over take him. The end of that route is a punchy climb of 50 meters. While I was in the middle of it, old man passed me by. I was like no fucking way. Until he turned around and saw that it was an emtb. I'm just glad older folks could still bike fast due to ebikes. I'll definitely get one when I can no longer put out the watts.

I keep hearing about the batteries catching on fire, seen a few videos of this happening too.
I'm thinking of buying one but this problem is making me wonder whether i should or not. Maybe it's not as common as i'm being led to believe?

I keep hearing about the batteries catching on fire, seen a few videos of this happening too.
I'm thinking of buying one but this problem is making me wonder whether i should or not. Maybe it's not as common as i'm being led to believe?
Try to get something UL listed, many have UL listed chargers these days, even cheap stuff. Get something standard that doesn’t go too fast, pushing the battery to its limit is the reason for fires. A 750W e bike is a lot different from a 3000W ebike. Uncharged when full. Follow these guidelines and you’ll be fine.

I have an e-bike. It depends on which help mode I put the bike in. there are 4 modes. the first level helps some but I supply much of the riding power. The remaining 3 modes does most if not all of the bike riding.

What I do typically is keep the bike on the first level. When i come to a hill I'll press the boost button and let the bike do the peddling.

I have an autoimmune condition that can fatigue me greatly at times. Having an ebike helps me bike ride with family around the area.

View media item 34145View media item 34144
Yup. 1 electric mountain bike and 1 electric moto. Mountain bike is old now

Soon to be 2 electric motos

My motor on the bike does a lot... why the hell have a e bike that has a shit motor

Oh man, envious, those Sur-ron bikes are such badas5 things, basically a 125cc motobike, and such appealing design, really great looking. Do you like it, anything you dont like , you use it a lot daily ?
Did you consider buying the more powerful one, super bee or sth like that which goes over 60mph, forgot the name :) ?

Oh man, envious, those Sur-ron bikes are such badas5 things, basically a 125cc motobike, and such appealing design, really great looking. Do you like it, anything you dont like , you use it a lot daily ?
Did you consider buying the more powerful one, super bee or sth like that which goes over 60mph, forgot the name :) ?

Yeah it's a daily round the property with the dogs with the sur ron. It's been awesome. No didn't at the time but the ultra bee will be the next purchase. There's also the storm bee which is basically a full moto but I don't need that here.

Mine would be close to two years old

Honestly my own issue with it was I needed a mud rear long fender. . Was sick of being covered in mud.

Charge time is exceptional and distance is great. I've clocked up over 2000km round here offroad mud grass etc and its been a rock. I but I tend to go at the dogs pace. Occasionally the helmet goes on and I go pretty hard. It's literally the easiest thing to ride even compared to the mountain bike far safer Despite being faster.

you'll get busted by the cops (at least in the city so dont try to ruin for everyone), they are wildly different than ebikes. they are the equivalent of e dirt bikes, but they dont really have the same power. lots of power, but not the same.

they are a blast to ride

My coworkers claim the same thing. That the motor barely does anything other than assist them up hills a little bit. They come back from riding at lunch looking fresh as a daisy.

It was proven to be bullshit when one of their motors lost power halfway through their ride. Dude came back from lunch covered in sweat, breathing profusely and angry as fuck.

Exercising on motorcycles is the most American thing I can think of.

My coworkers claim the same thing. That the motor barely does anything other than assist them up hills a little bit. They come back from riding at lunch looking fresh as a daisy.

It was proven to be bullshit when one of their motors lost power halfway through their ride. Dude came back from lunch covered in sweat, breathing profusely and angry as fuck.

battery is always an issue

bigger battery, heavier, less able to pedal

smaller battery, less range, less hill power (usually mated with lower power).

that said, with a 20+ah battery, you'll go 30 miles, which not many bicyclers do on the normal. You can find an ebike that powers well, and that usually means that you will need minimal assist power like a 250w motor, which is smaller and lighter, as well as 36 volt power, which is generally smaller and lighter. There are a crap ton of variety, however, get used to doing your own repairs. it's not that complex, but a good amount of things can go wrong, especially with a large feature set. The more complex, the more issues can arise.

The dual motor ones are fast as hell. They are all over the place here in H.B. and the kids are a menace as they don't understand traffic laws and are dangerous. Recently, they have cracked down on them here in HB, so it's got a little better. They are cool, so I get it, just can be dangerous.

I don't know much about e-bikes, but I did ride one about 10 years ago in Italy. My brother-in-law built one and all I can say is that it makes a huge difference. Feels like I'm cheating tbh.

I wouldn't mind getting one of those bikes that looks like it's more like a small dirt bike than a bicycle. Those things look fun.

I have a friend and we used to ride together in college. He got an e-mountianbike about two years ago and has entered in a few races, they sound like fun.

View media item 34145View media item 34144
Yup. 1 electric mountain bike and 1 electric moto. Mountain bike is old now

Soon to be 2 electric motos

My motor on the bike does a lot... why the hell have a e bike that has a shit motor

These look like a lot of fun, I have nothing against e-bikes. I ride my mountain bike a good amount, over 2,000 miles last year but most of my regular ride is paved. There are not many places around here where you could explore like you could in a place like rural NorCal. I don't think I would ever use it to commute to town either unfortunately.

They look like a lot of fun but I don't think I would use it much.

You are a good sport sir!!

And even though I was partially busting your balls, you brought up some solid observations that made me glad I did.

Especially #6.

Thats a valid concern and a HUGE factor.

Getting an E Bike and spending a little more time outside and traveling by bike, maybe getting more exercise all sound great. But I bet no one thinks about having 4 knee surgeries or walking with a limp or whatever else could go wrong in an accident.

People are DISTRACTED and that can create a bad situation out of nowhere.

I tell my daughters to assume no one in the cars is looking at them, assume they WONT stop for you. Then operate your bike in such a way that you will be safe even if all the idiots in the cars are staring at their phones.

Important to consider falling, it happens. I used to ride a lot in college but hardly rode since but got back into it during the pandemic. I was not ready for a few of the places I went and fell a couple of times and it was my fault. Shit hurt but nothing broken or stitches.

So I bought a better bike and am more cautious of where I go to off road. On day I riding along and the next thing I know I am flying over the handlebars headed for a bed of lava rock. I hit my head and was dazed AF, not having a clue as to what happened. When I try to stand up and realized I was all tangled up with my bicycle.

You see, I road over a bunch of fishing line that was on the trail. A big hook was dug deep in my left shoe and a birds nest of line was tangled on the left side including the rear derailer petal and the front disk brake. I was riding safely but had no chance from this garbage.

HAHA! So true!!!

Back