Do you really believe that Valentina isn't going to learn from this?

Santos did nothing to Valentina, except totally dominate her, up until her orbital was broken due to a headbutt.

I guess Santos needs to literally separate Valentina from her consciousness for the aggressively creepy "fanclub" to get the memo.

Absolutely dominated her, despite getting outstruck 2:1 in all of those first three rounds, hardly landing any strikes, doing absolutely no damage, never coming close to a choke, etc.

Dominated her so much only one judge gave her the 2nd.

I get from your other posts that you literally make up shit on here, but you need to accept the fact that Valentina got it done. I wish she hadn't, but there it is.

I'd expect a different approach from both girls. Also, what do you mean "fight in a way she's fought plenty of times before" Val has been relying on excessive clinch fighting since her thai days. It's always been one of her strong suits.

It is one of her strong suits, but she uses clinching when she knows she can get away with it.

Against Holm, Nunes (2nd fight), Liz, she clearly didn't want to play that game any more than she had to. She didn't need to either, really.

She was getting beaten easily by Pena on the other hand against the cage and would never actively be seeking that cage clinch game against her if she does indeed move up and challenge for the BW belt like she's been recently hinting about.

It is one of her strong suits, but she uses clinching when she knows she can get away with it.

Against Holm, Nunes (2nd fight), Liz, she clearly didn't want to play that game any more than she had to. She didn't need to either, really.

She was getting beaten easily by Pena on the other hand against the cage and would never actively be seeking that cage clinch game against her if she does indeed move up and challenge for the BW belt like she's been recently hinting about.

Yeah, but she clearly didn't want to in round 4 either, and one eyed santos still managed to get her down. Like I said, I agree with you, but I'm just not confident. I wouldn't put money on either girl in a rematch

She couldn't even cause a fuckin red spot on her face let alone separating her from her consciousness.

Thanks for the reply though, it was scintillating as usual.

Thats why she owns all the knockdown records in a division Valentina has twice as many UFC fights in?

You can cheerlead for Valentina without demeaning the accomplishments and abilities of Santos.

Or you can continue to embarrass yourself, either way it doesn't change the fact Valentina was exposed as a fraud by a superior fighter.

The back control of Santos wasn't even enough for all three judges to give her that round either. She was getting hit way too much in that position while doing no damage herself + she'd lost the round up until that point on the feet.

Interesting you say it was an off night for Val. I was talking to a mate I gamble with who is ridiculously good at what he does, and he absolutely thought Val didn't look right while Bruce was announcing her. He thought she looked nervous and off. I didn't really think much of it, but who knows.

I agree with your friend. She didn't look like herself even from the walkout. Her nose was red, she looked distracted, stood still in front of Taila when she never does that, didn't do her trademark dance after winning, etc. It was obviously an off night for her. Not to discredit Santos, but she wouldn't have looked as good had Valentina been there 100%.

Yeah, but she clearly didn't want to in round 4 either, and one eyed santos still managed to get her down. Like I said, I agree with you, but I'm just not confident. I wouldn't put money on either girl in a rematch

I got the feeling that Val was still panicked in round 4 and 5 to be honest. Maybe even tired. She was a lot more flat footed than she has been in other championship rounds She also knew that considering how the fight was going, she couldn't afford to hang back and coast. She had no choice but to get in there and try and win the rounds. Heavy evasion just wasn't an option for the first time in a long, long time for her.

I seriously think she never imagined how close that fight could possibly be.

I don't know if I'd put money on either girl in a rematch either. Freaking Santos has made me some nice money, but she's also surprised me a few times as well lol.

I would love her to come back and just dominate Valentina in a rematch. I wonder if that'll ever even take place. Val is talking about Tate of all people now. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Tate and then retirement.

Thats why she owns all the knockdown records in a division Valentina has twice as many UFC fights in?

You can cheerlead for Valentina without demeaning the accomplishments and abilities of Santos.

Or you can continue to embarrass yourself, either way it doesn't change the fact Valentina was exposed as a fraud by a superior fighter.

Funny that you say I should respect Santos all while lowkey trying to shit on Valentina.
I've seen the way you are around here sir, don't try to bullshit me.

Again, thanks for coming by and bringing the awesome information and "respect".

Doesn't really matter. People's champ is santos. She had to headbutt her opponent twice. Kick her in the private parts. Just so she could compete with santos in round 4 and 5. I do not have a fav fighter in wmma cause I can't stand to watch it. But when I have to watch it on a ppv. Having a judge screw over a fighter after getting head butted like that is a little insane. First time shev is in trouble since the Nunez fight and headbutt. Very suspicious.
Idiot

She's getting older, and Talia looked pretty strong in the exchanges.

An off night for her, but she has been in combat sports for around 15-20 years so the drop-off can come at any time.

Val and Joanna fought each other in kickboxing when they were 19 and 20 respectively. Joanna just retired, so credit to Val for her longevity but Father Time is undefeated.

hqdefault.jpg
Great photo! And yes, respect to both Val and JJ for their perseverance and longevity. No one stays on top forever.

Gotta love the hate after a dominant champ had a less than dominant performance. People were saying similar things after Shev lost 1 round to Jennifer Maia.

A lot of unfounded dumb comments, Val is old, she's on the decline, she got exposed...etc. 1 off performance and a fighter is shit. The norm on Sherdog, when there is not enough evidence to say either way if shes on the decline or got exposed.

Reminds me if GSP and Jones when people gave em trouble. People writing silly ass comments.

Valentina won round 2, deal with it cry babies. You can't win a round by just laying on someone with little to no offense while the person on bottom is throwing offense, no matter how weak it may be.

Weak offense > inactivity.

Go and actually look at who Valentina has been fighting compared to who Santos has been fighting before you spout this absolute drivel.

Santos scored all three of her knockdowns in her last two fights. 2 of them came against Jojo, who has shit striking defense, and the other came against Roxy.

Meanwhile Val has been fighting girls like Maia, Chook, Andrade, Murphy, and Carmouche.

The quality of competition isn't really comparable at all.

What do you think of Santos' 10 career KOs? Do you think that's impressive?

If Santos was so clearly the superior fighter how come she could barely land anything against Val on the feet, let alone knock her down? How come she got oustruck in every single round? How come she couldn't do any damage on the ground and was getting outstruck there also? How come she couldn't sub her?

No one here is embarrassing themselves more than you lol. You're really starting to out yourself as one of the most ignorant, obnoxious posters on the whole site.

Gotta love the hate after a dominant champ had a less than dominant performance. People were saying similar things after Shev lost 1 round to Jennifer Maia.

A lot of unfounded dumb comments, Val is old, she's on the decline, she got exposed...etc. 1 off performance and a fighter is shit. The norm on Sherdog, when there is not enough evidence to say either way if shes on the decline or got exposed.

Reminds me if GSP and Jones when people gave em trouble. People writing silly ass comments.

Valentina won round 2, deal with it cry babies. You can't win a round by just laying on someone with little to no offense while the person on bottom is throwing offense, no matter how weak it may be.

Weak offense > inactivity.

Sherdog will Sherdog I guess sir.
I agree with your comment though, fully.

I gotta correct you here, based on history Valentina has no issues striking with longer opponents. She outstruck Holm (5'8"), and Chookagian (5'9"), and was razor close on significant strikes against Nunes (5'8"). Then she kept the fight standing the last two rounds, after having the most success on the feet on rounds 1-3. If anything it was Santos who didn't want to stand with Valentina, nor did she want to strike while she was in Mount because she threw next to no strikes. Santos is slower on the feet, and her only physical advantages were strength and size.

Valentina overcame the brute strength and size of Holm, Kaufman, Andrade, Carmouche, and Maia (who was HUGE for their fight). So even then, she's not necessarily vulnerable to fighting larger opponents.

I agree with this 100%. The first takedown of the fight, was the result of Valentina's mistake. Santos failed to cause any serious damage besides squeezing Valentina's nose in the first round. She had nothing for Val on the feet either.

Valentina fought a larger, heavier opponent for 25 minutes with an injured foot, and still came out with no visible damage. That's all it was, an off night for Shevchenko due to an injury. If there's a rematch, Santos gets 50-45d.
She lost her fights to Nunes and Nunes is primarily just a puncher. Holm isn't a KO threat with her hands. Santos is more complete and bigger striking threat power wise using hands and feet. That's why Valentina wasn't trying to pressure or lead, she just wanted to plant her feet, use zero footwork, and just try to counter Santos coming in. When Santos tries to pressure and lead with strikes she ducked under and clinched right away. Her game plan was to not strike with Santos and try to outgrapple her, but Santos was the stronger and better grappler. That's why even though Santos had one eye Valentina wasn't really engaging and she was still trying to grapple her instead. She had it in her mind not to really strike with Santos for the fight and even though Santos was compromised she still didn't really try and engage like she should've.

Santos will always be a tough fight for her because of these reasons. If Santos gets better it'll be even worse for the rematch. I don't think Valentina can stop her with strikes because she was unable to even though Santos had one eye and Valentina wasn't really trying to go for a finish even though she was compromised. Valentina would need to get her grappling/clinching strength stronger than Santos and get her grappling to a higher level than Santos. Currently Santos is better and Valentina was only able to pull ahead due to the eye injury. There's not many in her division with the grappling ability of Santos, so Valentina will be able to out grapple most in the division, just not Santos.

She will, butTailia has far more time to learn from this than Val does.

The big takeaways from this fight for Val are maintain range, don’t back up in a straight line/stay off the cage, don’t punch yourself into the clinch and most importantly: don’t give up your back.

She doesn’t have to train to beat Talia where she is strongest - she has to train to stay in her own range, find ways to punish Talia as she tries to close in, and find guard when she gets taken down.

Talia on the other hand has to somehow find a way to overcome all this, and improve her striking, which is much harder. Also, her moments of success depend on very precise circumstances: clinch and taking the back. When she is in Val’s guard, she does nothing. When she is striking, she is losing. This is a much taller mountain to climb.

She doesn't make the same mistakes twice.
When she lost against Amanda the first time she knew it was her grappling that failed her...she grew by leaps and bounds immediately after that.

She had a tough fight yesterday, but don't think in your hateful little hearts that she isn't going to learn, grow and get better from this experience.

~fin

Well, when she lost to Amanda, she…lost again to her after lol.

Well, when she lost to Amanda, she…lost again to her after lol.

Did she now? That's debatable.

Also, we'll go with your little clown analogy since you're trying to poke holes in what I said.

Did she get grapple fucked?
No.

Ok cool nice talking to you.

Yeah it was bizarre behavior. Of course I must recognize her talent and skill, but she also strikes me as the type of fighter that will really struggle with their physical decline when it does come. The absolute certainty and lack of reflection on what was clearly a difficult fight speaks of someone who has bought in to their own hype. Maybe that’s one of the reasons for her greatness, but it’s also one of the reasons I dislike her.
Lol yeah of course acknowledging your own greatness rattles the people who wish they were great.

Maybe if she bowed and pretended to be serious more people would like her lol

Lol yeah of course acknowledging your own greatness rattles the people who wish they were great.

Nope, they'd just find something else to hate about her brother.

After the first failed grappling transition between her and santos, she should have avoided clinching all together.

I don't know man at 34 years old and after an extensive combat career, I would imagine she has already reached her peak. Maybe Shev can practice her take down defense or escapes/ transitions from the bottom. But how useful will this be? When you are facing an opponent with a superior skill set, the last thing you want to do is fight them at their strengths. Shev was walking into these exchanges with open arms like she was getting the better of Santos

Val is always serious. That’s her thing. She just sounded like an idiot in the post fight interview and presser. It’s a pretty clear personality trait, but I forgot you 30-25 a poster of Valentina each night. My bad.

Back