Do you think Auston Matthews will reach 70 goals for the season?

Do you think Auston Matthews will reach 70 goals for the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last time a player hit 70 goals in a season was Alexander Mogilny and Teemu Selanne in 1992-1993 season. They both ended up with 76 goals.

No one has reached 70 goals since.

Matthews has played 67 games has 57 goals so far. 13 goals more to go. But only 14 games left.

He has to have a goal a game roughly. Maybe a hat trick along the way to make it happen.

I hope he does it, but I doubt it.

Nah, he'll top out at 65. He was on an insane pace for a bit there that put him in the conversation, but it's damn near impossible to keep it up and he's been leveling out as of late.

13 in 14 is possible but pretty unlikely. Wouldn't mind seeing him hit it. It's been a while. I think Ovy's high is 65.

Probably 50/50. He'd need to catch a bit of a heater and probably get one more hat trick. The one thing to consider is that depending on the Leafs position on the table from here on in, he might get load managed as well

Probably 50/50. He'd need to catch a bit of a heater and probably get one more hat trick. The one thing to consider is that depending on the Leafs position on the table from here on in, he might get load managed as well

That's a valid point. Yeah if they clearly make it to the playoffs, they probably won't play him as much. True dat, that's if they really want him to get 70. Which would be something special and historical. Something you can say years later after playing that you did that in your career.

Unlikely but definitely doable.

My prediction is he's close, last game of the season, and then gets absolutely SMOKED and is out for the playoffs.

If Matthews gets a couple hat tricks along the way he has a chance, but not a good chance. I give him 20% chance.

Not looking good

Not looking good
6 goals in 6 games, think he will do it. Pens, Devils, Devils, Red Wings, Florida and Tampa. Not the easiest list of fixtures though.

Indeed no matter what happens if he doesn't get 70. It's the highest goal scored since Mario Lemieux back 1995-1996 season where he had 69 goals. That's about close to 30 years ago.

The goal scoring record would be hilarious if Mario was able to play a reasonably healthy career. Such a shame.

Lemieux could very well be the greatest player that ever played in the NHL.

Agreed. Hell, in the middle of the dead puck era in his late 30s with all of his back, hip etc issues and post-cancer he was still leading the league in PPG.

It's wild he was still able to put up the numbers that he did given everything that happened.

Glad I didn't bet on this one. He might just do it.

Now, if he would please...PLEASE carry this into the playoffs. Whole lot of kudos, but there ain't no banner for 70 goals in a season. Get these pieces of shit over the hump, Matthews.

Back