Does Cormier have the cardio to outpace Jones over 5 rounds.

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I really do think this fight will mainly come to one important thing and that is cardio. I strongly think this is going 5 rounds and will end in either a UD or SD.

Jones has proved to us many times he has the tank to go 5 rounds, and even overcome adversity in the championship rounds (UFC 165). Daniel on the other hand has only fought 5 rounds once in his life vs Josh Barnett at Strikeforce. We don't know if Cormier's weight cut to 205 affects his energy in the later rounds or not.

The game plan isn't complicated here, I don't see Daniel having a technical striking battle with Jon Jones in the middle of the cage, he needs to go full Cain Velasquez on this bitch and turn the fight into a nasty grueling 5 round war. He needs to push Jones against the cage, look for TD's, look for GNP, constantly put pressure and out-volume Jones over 5 rounds.

And the question is, does Daniel Cormier has the tank to do that,to outpace Jon Jones and win the LHW strap.

I really do think the fight will come down to this, the two being so skilled, whats your thoughts ?

Wow! A UD or a SD? BOLD! So you are thinking this is going to be one that the judges are conflicted on, then?

Yes. He used to wrestle in one night tournaments against the highest level wrestlers on the planet. I'm sure his cardio will be just fine.

He only has to win the first three. Jones gasses after the 3rd anyway, he'll be fine.

Cormier has never gassed in his fights, trains with cardio Cain. I'm more interested in how Jon Jones cardio will be when he faces a superior wrestler in DC and has to carry Cormier's weight.

He only has to win the first three. Jones gasses after the 3rd anyway, he'll be fine.

Really gasses after the 3rd ?

Is this gassing by Cormier's hands or gassing in general ?

Jones usually has good cardio and is one of the LHW fighters that you usually need cardio for 5 rounds for, since he has shown he can go 5 rounds without problems. He actually won the Gus fight after the 3rd because of his exceptional cardio with Gus visibly slowing down.

The Gus fight, Tex fight and I am pretty sure most of his other 5 round title wins, he was fine going into the 5th with Gus, Rashad and Tex slowing down.

The issue is we have seen jones going into the 5th with some very hard fought fights, like the Gus fight and Tex fight. But we have not seen Cormier going into the 5th much and we dont know what his cardio will be like.

Striking cardio for 5 rounds is different from wrestling cardio for 5 rounds and we just dont know if Cormier can keep up Jon's pace. He will also have to chase jones because of Jones reach if he cant get inside, whereas jones will need to move outside. Unless this is a wrestling match for 3 rounds, this is going to be a very cardio intensive fight for Cormier. Jones is also not as slow as his other opponents so he will need to adapt in terms of speed and and length.

I think Cormier has very good cardio but I would worry about Cormiers cardio in this fight.

Last edited:
I actually think his cardio will just be fine if not better since dropping. His cardio seemed good already at HW while carrying all the extra weight. Obviously he had to hit the cardio department hard to lose weight and maintain to fight at LHW so I would assume his cardio is better now. It's not like he is draining himself and pushing his body to make LHW, he was just carrying extra fat weight. DC always seems to come well prepare and I would not be surprised if he's the one tiring out Jones.

I'm amazed people are even considering this weight cut as some big hindrance to him like he's some huge 205'er.I thought the, can he make 205 discussion was a stupid one to begin with.I do agree with how you see the match stylistically and what Cormier needs to do.I think Cormier will have the cardio to do it.He showed phenomenal cardio vs Barnett which was now years ago and he's never shown signs of any cardio problems.We can only assume it's even better than last time he went 25 and I would actually bet he has a cardio edge over Jon Jones.

Im more concerned about jon's cardio than DC's

Wow! A UD or a SD? BOLD! So you are thinking this is going to be one that the judges are conflicted on, then?

Yea, I see Cormier winning 3 Jones winning 2, vise-versa, or straight-up SD.

3 times is many times in TS book? We will see how good his cardio is when he is on his back getting gnp by Cormier imo.

To me the biggest question by far is whether or not DC's knee will affect his training leading up to the fight. From what i managed to gather on teh internetz a torn LCL increases the risk for injury on the ACL and can possibly worsen the injury further. If DC can train like he normally does, without having to always take his knee in to consideration and skip certain movements, I see no reason to why he would't be able to go five rounds with Jones. Lots of other fighters have before him and the fight with barnett as far as I can remember was relatively high paced.

Yea, I see Cormier winning 3 Jones winning 2, vise-versa, or straight-up SD.

What do you think a Split Decision is? You're basically saying that the judges will be in disagreement about who won, with 2 scoring 49-46 for say, Jones, and the last scoring the fight 48-47 for Cormier. Something like that.

He does but it is not likely to go 5 rounds. The reason I like Cormier vs Jones more than Gus vs Jones is that while Gus is capable of beating Jones, Cormier is capable of destroying Jones.

Also, it had to be frustrating for Cormier to stay in Cain's shadow at HW knowing that he may very well beat him. (I honestly think Cormier can beat Cain). So, he has to be looking for big money and now he has the chance.

He was barely breathing hard after ragdolling Barnett for 5 rounds.

The knee is my only concern.
What do you think a Split Decision is? You're basically saying that the judges will be in disagreement about who won, with 2 scoring 49-46 for say, Jones, and the last scoring the fight 48-47 for Cormier. Something like that.
That's exactly what he's trying to say, that it could be controversial. He obviously isn't one of those idiot posters that think 3 rounds to 2 is a SD.

I could see that myself. Especially if it gets into DC with TDs but Jones with standup edge - many judges weigh TDs value differently.

Really gasses after the 3rd ?

Is this gassing by Cormier's hands or gassing in general ?

Jones usually has good cardio and is one of the LHW fighters that you usually need cardio for 5 rounds for, since he has shown he can go 5 rounds without problems. He actually won the Gus fight after the 3rd because of his exceptional cardio with Gus visibly slowing down.

The Gus fight, Tex fight and I am pretty sure most of his other 5 round title wins, he was fine going into the 5th with Gus, Rashad and Tex slowing down.

The issue is we have seen jones going into the 5th with some very hard fought fights, like the Gus fight and Tex fight. But we have not seen Cormier going into the 5th much and we dont know what his cardio will be like.

Striking cardio for 5 rounds is different from wrestling cardio for 5 rounds and we just dont know if Cormier can keep up that pace. He will also have to chase jones because of Jones reach and continue to move inside whereas jones will need to move outside. Unless this is a wrestling match for 3 rounds this is going to be a very cardio intensive fight for Cormier and we have not seen him go the distance much.
Jones is also not as slow as his other opponents so he will need to adapt in terms of speed and and length.

I would worry about Cormiers cardio and not jones in this fight.

Jones gasses. His opponents so far have just gassed worse. None of those guys were known for their gas tank, and DC has not showed signs of slowing down in 3 rounders where Glover and Gus have.

There is a Cain interview where he says that DC's gas tank is as good as, if not better than his own. No link, just believe me.

He was barely breathing hard after ragdolling Barnett for 5 rounds.

The knee is my only concern.

That's exactly what he's trying to say, that it could be controversial. He obviously isn't one of those idiot posters that think 3 rounds to 2 is a SD.

I could see that myself. Especially if it gets into DC with TDs but Jones with standup edge - many judges weigh TDs value differently.

Predicting a SD is an idiotic thing to do.

A UD can be controversial. A fight doesn't need to be a Split Decision to be controversial. Predicting that a fight is going to be a SD is ridiculous. It's almost as bad as predicting a DQ finish, or a TKO(Injury).

I surprised ppl are concerned about jj's cardio dude is young and have proven to have great cardio I guess him being on his back would be a concern. DC on the other hand is already 35 at one point his cardio was great but I would be a little concerned about it now.

Back