Does Cormier have the cardio to outpace Jones over 5 rounds.

I completely disagree with the premise of the TS.

The fight is very unlikely to go 5 rounds. This is not going to be a Jones vs Gus strike off. Jones will strike and try to keep it standing and DC at range where he can pick DC apart. He may take DC down but only after he establishes his range and is comfortable.

DC will be looking to wrestle Jones down immediately and keep the fight down. DC will be focused on wrestling and subbing Jones for the win. Perhaps set up a tko based off peppering Jones via wrestling.

DC is not a fighter out to make macho points by standing and trading
He will be looking to get inside on Jones for a take down wothin seconds.

Either Jones will win via strikes or DC wins via wrestling. They both will use their strengths. I just fon't see this style of figjting going the distance. One willake a mistake andthe other will capitolizeon it.

I totally agree with the fact that Cormier's wrestling offense, will make Jones more hesitant to push forward and pressure. But I really do think you are understand estimating the LHW Champ. Jon easily has all the tools to beat Cormier, he just needs to utilize them properly, which is not an easy thing to do with a monster like Cormier in front of you.

jones definitely has the talent and tools to beat cormier. i just don't think that cormier will allow him to use them. i believe that cormier understands how dangerous jones is, which is why he will pressure him like no other, similar to cain.

cain will not allow cormier to make the same mistake that cain made in his first fight with jds. cormier is going to be on jones like flies on shit. i would bet a lot of money on that. jones is going to get mauled. cormier is going to bully jones like a poor kid who got his money stolen. i see jones being on his back for a lot of the fight.

DC needs to apply constant pressure for 5 rounds . Use his strength and his body nonstop and smother jones on the feet and the ground with dirty boxing . Does he he have the cardio for that ? I don't know ,I just don't know .
He stops for one second than JJ range comes into play and mentally breaks you down from there .

Hopefully Cain doesn't burn DC out training for that factor

No he doesn't, and Jones dismembers him inside 4 rounds, archive this post.

Why are people thinking Jones = JDS and DC = Velasquez?

I know, it's weird.

Some people are even saying that Jones would drop his hands because of fear of the TD. Jones hasn't faced a wrestler of the caliber of Cormier yet but when has he even come close to doing that? Never to my knowledge. Not against O'Brien, Hamill, Bader, Chael, or Shad. Not even after being taken down for the first time in MMA.

That's a hole to exploit against JDS, not Jones.

Some people are even comparing the ease of stifling JDS against the cage to doing the same against Jones. JDS's clinch esp. against the cage isn't as deep toolwise as Jones.

That's another hole to exploit against JDS, not Jones.

Another big difference is that Jones generally punishes TD attempts with kicks, knees to the body, punches, sub attempts, etc. One of Junior's biggest missteps in the Cain rematches was giving him free reign to shoot w/o repercussion. He had Cain on his knees many times in the 2nd fight after stuffing the TD and didn't follow up.

If he can summon that hunger deep within he can do it. :icon_chee

So many people forgetting that DC trains with Cain Velasquez.
DC's gas tank will be fine
I'm more worried about him breaking a hand again when he's striking.

You got it wrong, people are thinking DC must fight Jones like Cain fought JDS.

Jon is a clinch wrestler at his base though. JDS is a kick boxer. Fighting Jon in the clinch against the cage would be where Jon is strongest. Cormier's path to victory is using his wrestling as his way to get inside on Jon to land strikes. Jon doesn't have stopping power in his hands. The trick with Jon is that you'd have to stay away or rush in and risk him tripping/throwing you and then him raining elbows on you. Cormier can theoretically come inside and not worry so much about getting taken down and if he does then not being held down and finished.

jones definitely has the talent and tools to beat cormier. i just don't think that cormier will allow him to use them. i believe that cormier understands how dangerous jones is, which is why he will pressure him like no other, similar to cain.

cain will not allow cormier to make the same mistake that cain made in his first fight with jds. cormier is going to be on jones like flies on shit. i would bet a lot of money on that. jones is going to get mauled. cormier is going to bully jones like a poor kid who got his money stolen. i see jones being on his back for a lot of the fight.

You are underestimating how Jones uses leverage and how good he is at re-establishing distance when guys do manage to close it and get in close. I fully understand that he hasn't faced anyone on Cormier's level when it comes to being pressured, but Cormier hasn't faced anyone like Jones either.

What people forget (and I've probably said it ten times now on this forum) is that while Cormier's wrestling creds (and ability) is for sure elite, Jones was becoming and ELITE MMA FIGHTER at the same age when Cormier was competing internationally in wrestling. Acting like Cormier can just drop down to LHW, toss around Cummins and Hendo, and then make the leap that he'll ragdoll Jones is just silly.

Cormier for sure can win, but Jones isn't getting thrown around like a kid by ANYONE at LHW, Cormier included.

What makes you think DC is like Cain or that even Cain would do that to Jones? It is not just about wrestling to even cardio you have to actually get inside.. Jones keeps you thinking and keeps you timid because he is so diverse. All Rashad talked about was putting Jones on his back and clearly had done so in training. How did that play out?

Back