Does Cormier have the cardio to outpace Jones over 5 rounds.

Why are people thinking Jones = JDS and DC = Velasquez?

To me the biggest question by far is whether or not DC's knee will affect his training leading up to the fight. From what i managed to gather on teh internetz a torn LCL increases the risk for injury on the ACL and can possibly worsen the injury further. If DC can train like he normally does, without having to always take his knee in to consideration and skip certain movements, I see no reason to why he would't be able to go five rounds with Jones. Lots of other fighters have before him and the fight with barnett as far as I can remember was relatively high paced.

He's had the injury since Strikeforce apparently and was only going to have the surgery because he thought he had to wait for Jones/Gus II before his shot, so he had time.

DC will be the same as always. That is, he'll be the greatest LHW in the world.

Yes. He used to wrestle in one night tournaments against the highest level wrestlers on the planet. I'm sure his cardio will be just fine.

This is exactly what i was going to say.

Wrestlers usually have the best cardio in MMA so I am sure Cormier will have no problems with it.

And that was before he lost the weight. Now he has less mass to send oxygen to.

Actually at HW, his body fat percentage was higher, he was carrying more fat, which the body doesn't need to send blood too.

Wow! A UD or a SD? BOLD! So you are thinking this is going to be one that the judges are conflicted on, then?

I think he thinks that either they will or they won't.

Going out on a limb with that one, for sure.

Actually at HW, his body fat percentage was higher, he was carrying more fat, which the body doesn't need to send blood too.

But it's still more mass to move around. If he could go 5 rounds against a tough opponent in Barnett and make it look easy, he can do the same now that he's dropped a ton of weight, especially if working cardio is how he lost the weight.

I think Cormier wins a very technical match up on account of strikes. A TKO in the deeper rounds. Thoughts?

I think Cormier wins a very technical match up on account of strikes. A TKO in the deeper rounds. Thoughts?

i see it relatively the same way. i think that cormier understands that jones will work hard to avoid the takedowns. and when you attempt to avoid takedowns, you keep your hands down, and that is when cormier will have the chance to hit jones with strikes.

that is the key to this entire fight for me. jones will not look to take cormier down, while cormier will. meaning, that cormier will dictate where the fight takes place. the same thing happened during the second and third cain/jds fights, and i predict the same thing happening with jones/cormier. let's not forget that cain and cormier are training partners. it is obvious that they will discuss strategies. cormier will fight to his strengths. and unfortunately for jones, he won't be able to stop cormier from employing those strengths.

i see cormier grinding jones early in the fight. and somewhere in the late third-to-championship rounds, i see jones mentally breaking. and that will be followed by a tko victory late in the fight for cormier.

i see it relatively the same way. i think that cormier understands that jones will work hard to avoid the takedowns. and when you attempt to avoid takedowns, you keep your hands down, and that is when cormier will have the chance to hit jones with strikes.

that is the key to this entire fight for me. jones will not look to take cormier down, while cormier will. meaning, that cormier will dictate where the fight takes place. the same thing happened during the second and third cain/jds fights, and i predict the same thing happening with jones/cormier. let's not forget that cain and cormier are training partners. it is obvious that they will discuss strategies. cormier will fight to his strengths. and unfortunately for jones, he won't be able to stop cormier from employing those strengths.

i see cormier grinding jones early in the fight. and somewhere in the late third-to-championship rounds, i see jones mentally breaking. and that will be followed by a tko victory late in the fight for cormier.

You are massively underrating the scary level of talent Jones has.. I just rewatched the Mir fight and if DC think he can grind Jones on the cage for 25 minutes he is in for a bad night.. I also don't see Jones on his back as that big of a deal because I guarantee you he is good there.. The man is too talented and hard working not to be. Jones will use that reach to make DC life very difficult he is so unpredictable with his attacks. And DO NOT assume he won't go for TD's in this fight in fact I think he will.. Success on them is not important what is important is making DC understand it's a possibility. I see Jones lighting him up in rounds 4 and 5 and wining a UD..

BTW I hate it when these fights get made and the challenger has no relevant experience in that division. DC beat an old man in Hendo we never got to see him fight Rashad or Glover or Gus..

Cormier will drink a cup of Cain's urine an absorb his cardio. Hence him training with Lyoto for this upcoming fight. Jones is so fucked.

Lots of good points, especially about DC training with Velazquez. DC is so fast and in my opinion has some crisp and clean boxing. I do hope DC is cautious of Jones' elbows though, bc they're no joke. This year is bringing some awesome fights.

BTW, remember not long ago when DC stated he would gladly fill in for Gus? It's like he predicted this or something lol. Like he seemed kinda confident it would happen.

I totally agree with the fact that Cormier's wrestling offense, will make Jones more hesitant to push forward and pressure. But I really do think you are understand estimating the LHW Champ. Jon easily has all the tools to beat Cormier, he just needs to utilize them properly, which is not an easy thing to do with a monster like Cormier in front of you.

Since Cain Velasquez is his primary sparring partner, I think the answer is yes. These two train at a level few can even comprehend.

I do hope DC is cautious of Jones' elbows though, bc they're no joke.

This is seriously my biggest concern for this fight. I don't even worry about Jones' long range attacks, as crazy it that sounds. It's his elbows that can change the fight in an instant and could have DC on queer street from then on.

DC must train for the elbows, and just stick his head in his chest, and create no separation at all. I'm so confident he can do that, and the style of wrestling he's been using in MMA bodes well for that.

Back