Does Overeem even train

thelegend2

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Cardio?

seriously i was watching some of his highlights and it came to me: i have seen plenty of videos of him lifting weights, throwing tires, and carrying several Japanese women, but never seen him train cardio.

like running, riding a bike etc. i just cant understand how this guy continues to gas-its the same with shogun, although i get that shoguns knees probably limit his ability to train his conditioning.

has anyone seen overeem actually training his cardio so that he wont gas in every fight?

Exactly how much cardio he trains is something I don't think we can know for sure. It stands to reason as a professional fighter that he of course trains it, and realizes it's important, at least somewhat. But at a certain point it jut becomes impossible to have good cardio while carrying around as much muscle mass as he does. Unless of course you're a genetic freak.

Cardio?

seriously i was watching some of his highlights and it came to me: i have seen plenty of videos of him lifting weights, throwing tires, and carrying several Japanese women, but never seen him train cardio.

like running, riding a bike etc. i just cant understand how this guy continues to gas-its the same with shogun, although i get that shoguns knees probably limit his ability to train his conditioning.

has anyone seen overeem actually training his cardio so that he wont gas in every fight?

nope, he does not train cardio, he hates it.

Also, conditioning isn't just running and riding bikes. You can do conditioning with weights, hitting tires, ropes, and simulating a fight/grappling, etc.

According to Josh Barnett, a lot of HWs don't run.

i have a hard time believing that. but josh would know better than most.

still would be ridiculous if true. especially when you can attribute overeems losing streak to his inability to go fifteen minutes.

i have a hard time believing that. but josh would know better than most.

still would be ridiculous if true. especially when you can attribute overeems losing streak to his inability to go fifteen minutes.

That's just what he said. Being a big guy is probably harder on your joints idk.

It's on the Barnett vs Mir countdown vid I believe.

Also, conditioning isn't just running and riding bikes. You can do conditioning with weights, hitting tires, ropes, and simulating a fight/grappling, etc.

agreed, but i dont think ive seen him do much of that either.

I've seen some highlight videos with training segments that involve him doing some light jogging...

:(

if you watch his documentary the reem you can catch up running outside often during training.

Didn't Frank Mir say something along the line that he'll lift weights faster for cardio...

The Reem videos have shown him doing some running. I think he sprints more than long distances and that doesn't really give huge cardio improvements. At this point, at his age, it's pretty difficult to have giant leaps in cardio. His body is built for short bursts with high intensity. He's never gonna be somebody to take over a fight in championship rounds. If he wanted to have that sort of cardio - he'd probably need different genes and/or start training hardcore cardio like a decade ago. He has muscled himself up so much that it makes it near impossible to have Cain-like cardio.

Reem does uphill sprint circuits etc. I dont know where people is getting that bs from that he doesn't train cardio.

In one of the Reem vids while in Dream, he got straight off the plan after landing in Japan to do uphill sprints. Theres clips of him jogging and doing other things also.

The only training Overeem does is curls.

Curls all day, everyday.

All that other stuff is just for the cameras. As soon as they shut off, he picks up the weights again.

When he was LHW he apparently gassed from cutting weight (improperly?) and not training enough due to personal problems, short notice fights etc. As a HW, well, duh.
It's also about genetics, not everyone will have great cardio no matter how much they train.

Back