Does Volkanovski have the Best 5 Wins in a row ever?

Well then if you're gonna disect his wins like that lets do the same with Volk's.

You counted Holloway twice so that's 4 opponents in 5 wins not 5 different opponents.

Most people thought Max won the 2nd fight.

Chad Mendes was out of his prime. That was 2-3 years after his suspension.

Aldo was past his prime also.

Ortega is probably the best win.
Somewhat agree here. The issue I'm taking with your points is Aldo, although passed his prime he is not a shot fighter and is still dangerous and up there with the best even at this point in his career.

They're not anywhere near as good as who Volk beat? Ortega and Mendes have somehow become clearly better than all 5 of them? Nonsense.

There is the obvious asterisk with Jones but he ran through all of them and had four finishes.

The late 2000s era UFC fighters and Pride era fighters were far more one dimensional, most didn't have nearly as good boxing fundamentals or defense, Lyoto was the only one there who really used feints, Rashad was powerful and explosive but was a severely limited striker hence why when he lost that explosiveness he lost to nobodies.

Rousey
Shevchenko
Pennington
Cyborg
Holm

The late 2000s era UFC fighters and Pride era fighters were far more one dimensional, most didn't have nearly as good boxing fundamentals or defense, Lyoto was the only one there who really used feints, Rashad was powerful and explosive but was a severely limited striker hence why when he lost that explosiveness he lost to nobodies.

Lol get the fuck out of here. Imagine writing that down while claiming someone like Ortega is better than them. Boxing fundamentals lol. I'm not even downplaying Ortega as a fighter but you need to get your shit together.

brian ortega will sadly never, ever be an all-time great of the division after those pummelings he took from Holloway/Volk. Horrible beatings. He might be like the Gustafson of that division. Current 3rd best til he loses more.

You can survive those type of fights if you 1-Are naturally durable as hell and 2-Take a very long break after it so your body can heal. He's got both right.

Dustin Porier wins
Jim Miller
Eddie Alvarez
Anthony Pettis
Justin Gaethje
Max Holloway

Lol get the fuck out of here. Imagine writing that down while claiming someone like Ortega is better than them. Boxing fundamentals lol. I'm not even downplaying Ortega as a fighter but you need to get your shit together.

Ortega's ground game is infinitely better, he's not the most consistent striker obviously though he has more feints and footwork than Shogun, Rampage, Vitor, and Rashad ever did, a better jab, far more weapons, his defensive flaws aren't as bad as Machida's, also excellent cardio and killer instinct and heart. Anyone who trains any legitimate striking martial art can see this.

You can survive those type of fights if you 1-Are naturally durable as hell and 2-Take a very long break after it so your body can heal. He's got both right.

Maybe. I can’t really recall someone taking beatings as bad as those and still going on to be a great in the weight class. Feels like we have seen what happens when he faces the greats.

Cejudo had a good last 5 wins:
-Cruz
-Moraes
-Dillashaw
-DJ
-Pettis
Obviously Sergio Pettis isn't near the level of the other 4, but he's still decent. Plus, Cruz (or TJ) and DJ are oft regarded as the best of their division, and Moraes was a monster at the time. Even if you dissect it by talking about the Cruz fight being stopped early and him being shot, or the DJ fight being controversial; you can dissect any resume like that, that list of names remains impressive.

Ortega's ground game is infinitely better, he's not the most consistent striker obviously though he has more feints and footwork than Shogun, Rampage, Vitor, and Rashad ever did, a better jab, far more weapons, his defensive flaws aren't as bad as Machida's, also excellent cardio and killer instinct and heart. Anyone who trains any legitimate striking martial art can see this.

Actually, anyone who legitimately trains would know you're full of shit and reaching hard. Ortega's defense is terrible and you're completely devaluing the weapons those guys had. You're also ignoring the inherent differences between fighting at 205 vs 145 and the fact that those guys could murder you with one shot. There's no denying running through those five is impressive as hell and their skills are extremely high.

Sergio Pettis
Demetrius Johnson
TJ Dillashaw
Marlon Moraes
Dominick Cruz

Maybe. I can’t really recall someone taking beatings as bad as those and still going on to be a great in the weight class. Feels like we have seen what happens when he faces the greats.

His fight before this was a far worse beating than last night actually, the worst damage he got were the head clashes. There's your answer. His body can handle it and he takes long breaks to heal. Fighters are not made out of paper and weak like sherdoggers.

You said you've seen him as "done" at the championship level for years now, yet he's still a top 5 contender and fought in a championship fight after that, and is one win away from fighting for another belt. To me, top 5 guys are championship level fighters-- they're quite literally the guys that fight in championships.
Well first of all he fought in a championship fight following a loss. He got the fight because of his name.

Second for me, a championship level fighter is someone I can reasonably see getting the belt. I can't imagine him ever holding gold but he'll always be a high level contender like RDA is now.

Volk is knocking the door as a top 5 ATG. Needs a few more good wins and could be in discussion for sure.

Well then if you're gonna disect his wins like that lets do the same with Volk's.

You counted Holloway twice so that's 4 opponents in 5 wins not 5 different opponents.

Most people thought Max won the 2nd fight.

Chad Mendes was out of his prime. That was 2-3 years after his suspension.

Aldo was past his prime also.

Ortega is probably the best win.
What?

Back