Social Don't bugger with Batfleck and Damon, MaraLardo

Are there other movies about brand sponsorships, generally speaking?

Documentaries aplenty, and probably all of them critical, but are there any other big Hollywood movies about the marketing and sponsorship dynamics around some kind of manufactured product?

Seems like a strange avenue for a movie, Child labour exploitation not withstanding. I ask the question because ultimately, any movie celebrating a massive international corporation's breakaway success in selling a product, is gonna come down to child labour exploitation.

On a given niche topic its fair to expect only the most iconic examples that also actually have a backstory worth dramatizing are going to become non documentary movies, but if we can broaden it a little to movies about dynamics of bringing consumer goods to market,

Tetris
Flamin' Hot
The Founder
Bottle Sock
BlackBerry
Pinball

from the past few years all fit. Also consider documentaries like 'One man and his shoes' are made on the same subject and was well received.

I like Damon but probably wont bother watching Air unless a long flight has nothing else, but to me this seems less weird of a topic to make a drama about on the surface than Moneyball, which was a decent movie. Air sounds like Jerry Maguire with a little less focus on the agent and a shoe + 80s Nostalgia involved.

Anyone see Promised Land with Damon? Great little flick.

Did you enjoy Jobs?
Do you enjoy a success story?
LOL this is OT but fuck Jobs. If I had my way I'd dig him up just to piss on him and then bury him again.

On topic, yeah it's not the first time he used stuff without permission. A Neil Young young song, too--Rocking in the Free World.

On a given niche topic its fair to expect only the most iconic examples that also actually have a backstory worth dramatizing are going to become non documentary movies, but if we can broaden it a little to movies about dynamics of bringing consumer goods to market,

Tetris
Flamin' Hot
The Founder
Bottle Sock
BlackBerry
Pinball

from the past few years all fit. Also consider documentaries like 'One man and his shoes' are made on the same subject and was well received.

I like Damon but probably wont bother watching Air unless a long flight has nothing else, but to me this seems less weird of a topic to make a drama about on the surface than Moneyball, which was a decent movie. Air sounds like Jerry Maguire with a little less focus on the agent and a shoe + 80s Nostalgia involved.

I imagine that there are interesting personalities and drama around the shoes and the brand is doing double duty to sell interest in an interpersonal story.

LOL this is OT but fuck Jobs. If I had my way I'd dig him up just to piss on him and then bury him again.

On topic, yeah it's not the first time he used stuff without permission. A Neil Young young song, too--Rocking in the Free World.
You corrected me without me knowing haha, I thought it was Springsteen.
He should stick to Kid Rock.

And sorry, @Andy Capp why fuck Jobs? I don't like what he did with his daughter but he was a fucking genius. Did you read his book?

It is a brilliant thread where people are actually talking about personal opinions, instead of just emoji reacting like bots to rage stories.
Not that much depth for this topic though. So trumps campaign used some dialogue from what is probably going to be shitty movie about air Jordans. Now people are just talking about the movie

The one you watched in Air that Diaper Don used without any say so?

Oh, yeah I dunno. Didn't exactly move me. Just the kind of horseshit, bootstraps jargon you hear in most mainstream movies about the military and/or American football.

Fucking hell people hate a success story.

Amazon and Apple have suicide nets. Air Jordan if any of you know how it was turned around was fucking amazing. The biggest fucking turnaround in sport history.
Great movie, well acted. The business side of it was amazing. But growing up in NYC, these shoes caused so much heartache. It was really the 1st sneaker that was extremely expensive. There have been papers written that many inner city youths got into the drug trade because they needed money for these sneakers. They also robbed and stole for them. Parents would buy these things over feeding their kids. A dark side to every story.

I found the anti Jordan--"Starbury" even more fascinating. They failed because our culture is obsessed with how much things cost. Not to mention the joints were not "fly". But the story and motivation behind them were noble.

Tetris
Flamin' Hot
The Founder
Bottle Sock
BlackBerry
Pinball

Nice, yeah. I can't say I recognize any of those movie titles except the founder, but thats more a function of my disinterest than anything else.

Wasn't moneyball about sports franchise management AND the old underdog-getting-rich motif?

I guess Air is only slightly less likely, given it seems to be about sports branding management and... shoes? I dunno. I almost certainly won't watch it

Fucking hell people hate a success story.

Amazon and Apple have suicide nets. Air Jordan if any of you know how it was turned around was fucking amazing. The biggest fucking turnaround in sport history.

I dont get your point about the suicide nets. Isn't that a reason to "hate a success story"? That its built on the necessity of work conditions that drive people to kill themselves.

We call that "success"? I mean, they do make a lot of money... the Mexican drug cartels also "turned it around" in an amazing way. Their profits have exploded in recent decades and they probably don't own half as many child-labour-powered factories as Nike

I dont get your point about the suicide nets. Isn't that a reason to "hate a success story"? That its built on the necessity of work conditions that drive people to kill themselves.

We call that "success"? I mean, they do make a lot of money... the Mexican drug cartels also "turned it around" in an amazing way. Their profits have exploded in recent decades and they probably don't own half as many child-labour-powered factories as Nike
There weren't suicide nets when Jobs and Wozniack started this in their garage. I've been an Apple house since the first iphone but it didn't start with suicide nets.

Did you read his book?

You corrected me without me knowing haha, I thought it was Springsteen.
He should stick to Kid Rock.
Without knowing... uh yeah....how fortuitous ;)

Jobs was a total asshole. At one place he worked before starting Apple he stopped showering until his co-workers were so disgusted with him they acceded to his demand to be able to work alone at night. He was such an asshole the board of his own company fired him--before having to eat shit and hire him back again, admittedly.

Are you aware this genius was handed a working personal computer and all Apple did was change the box and slap a new label on? To wit,
https://crm.org/articles/xerox-parc-and-the-origins-of-gui

There were also smartphones before the iPhone.

Some further reading for the interested, https://www.digitalcitizen.life/iphone-sucks/

When the ipod was popular it cost more to repair than replace. The genius had no problem with forced obsolescence and unfettered consumption in the pursuit of profit.

And that's just for starters.

Without knowing... uh yeah....how fortuitous ;)

Jobs was a total asshole. At one place he worked before starting Apple he stopped showering until his co-workers were so disgusted with him they acceded to his demand to be able to work alone at night. He was such an asshole the board of his own company fired him--before having to eat shit and hire him back again, admittedly.

Are you aware this genius was handed a working personal computer and all Apple did was change the box and slap a new label on? To wit,
https://crm.org/articles/xerox-parc-and-the-origins-of-gui

There were also smartphones before the iPhone.

Some further reading for the interested, https://www.digitalcitizen.life/iphone-sucks/

When the ipod was popular it cost more to repair than replace. The genius had no problem with forced obsolescence and unfettered consumption in the pursuit of profit.

And that's just for starters.
Mate there isn't anything you can tell me about him that I don't know. I have read up on him, Mark, Elon, Branson and everyone doing something exciting with their success to mass extent.

What did you dislike about Steve's book?

Back