squat
225 x 5 x 3

press
55 x 5 x 3

BJJ
no gi

Notes

BW 168

Hurt my pinky and middle finger last week. I don't think I can hold a gi right now so no gi this week and hopefully it heals up.

squat
245 x 5 x 3

press
70 x 8 x 3

chin up x 10
PG pull up x 10

No Gi BJJ

Notes

Been sick for past week. Think I might have nerve damage or something in forearm. Pinkie/ring fingers are still hurting a little, and I have about 50% strength in them. I probably couldnt close a CoC #1.5 for one rep now, normaly I could close it for 30 with no warm up

That sucks dude. Any idea what brought it on?

Getting older? Grabbing the gi like a goon? I honestly don't know. Went to sleep and I was fine. Woke up and it hurt. It's feeling better but my hand is definitely not 100% yet. I trained gi a few times last week and regretted it each time. Even no gi tonight was bothering my forearm. But it's definitely getting better. So gonna try to train no gi more, and if I train gi, no grabbing of the gi, just using underhooks and squeezing etc.

deadlift
315 x 5 @ 7

- Used straps. 135 hurt my right hand pretty bad

press
90 x 8 x 3

Notes

Got a cold AGAIN. Second one in as many months.

BW 169. I have a BJJ comp Feb 4, gotta make 170. Gonna try to cut calories a WEEE bit and start rolling a lot harder with less rest. I want to be at least 167 so I can enjoy a big breakfast the day of and not stress about weight

squat
275 x 5
225 x 5 x 2

press
95 x 8

PG pullup
bw x 10

Notes

Man was I not feelin it at the gym. Did bare minimum and got out. Felt good at BJJ. Just not under the bar. Getting over cold idk

1/16

squat
275 x 5
245 x 5 x 2

press
100 x 8 x 3

PG pullup
30 x 10
chin up
bw x 10

1/23

deadlift
335 x 5

bench press
95 x 8 x 3

PG pullup
bw x 15

Notes

- BW been around 169 despite crazy macros. Been paying no mind to nutrition besides trying to get in three meals a day with adequate protein and not out of control fats. At some point in the next two weeks Ill need to buckle it down for the comp Feb 4th lol

- hand is still fucked. Pinkie not working. Right ear broke real bad in the back and a little in the front where an ear bud goes in, got serious swelling and pain.

- BJJ is going well. Getting a consistent 4 days a week in but due to adult shit can never get that 5. Gas tank is OK, technique is OK, strength is pretty good. If I was looking at this competition through the lens of a competitive BJJ fighter I would be worried about my stamina. But Im TRYING to approach it as a fun day where I can challenge myself and have a good time with my wife and teammates. So in that sense, Im in good shape.

My first match tonight. Sloppy as all hell. The wrestling was embarrasing. I swear my wrestling is actually pretty good, I was just extremely nervous lol

Third match. Playing around with knee on neck a lot lately. It gets guys to move but I couldnt capitalize on it

I ended up winning 3 out of 4 fights and taking 3rd place @ 155-170 masters blue belt. Won the first on sub and the next two with points. Got tapped with a cross choke from a knee cut in the 2nd place fight. I didn't even feel like I was in any danger... until I woke up from unconsciousness still defending the choke. I was only out for a second, but I think tapping was the good idea after that lol Fun time. Wasn't there for too long. Ran smoothly. Just a little dissapointed at my nerves getting the better of me and not allowing me to fight at my full potential. I felt like I was moving in slow motion.I need to compete more often to fix that.

Last edited:
Nice videos, makes me miss grappling! Masters though, I didn't know you were that old?!

squat
180 x 5
205 x 5
230 x 7 @ 7
135 x 10 x 4

- Was planning on doing 5 sets of 10, but got a little twinge in my lower back, the part I hurt, so called it.

press
90 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 7 @ 8

Arnold press
25 x 10 x 5

pullups
bw x 10 x 4

- Right hand started to hurt

deadlift
205 x 5
240 x 5
270 x 10 @ 7
180 x 10 x 5

- It should be noted that all sets are done with straps. My right hand isn't in any pain anymore when training BJJ, but it hurts when holding a barbell.

bench press
120 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 8 @ 7

- Surprisingly and embarrassingly hard. Been a while since I bench pressed anything over a plate

DB bench press
45 x 10 x 5

DB row
75 x 25

- Straps.

Notes

- BW 168

What part of your hand specifically hurts? I ask because I had aches in my carpal tunnel and thumb base for quite some time from BJJ, snatches and racking back squats. After playing around with banded front rack stretches for ~5 min the pain is almost completely gone.

The benefit was surprising, I hope it might help you too.

BJJ no gi class.

Got 4, 6 minute rolls in with the top guys at the class. One purple under Danaher who I can't do anything against. One very good blue who gives that purple a hard time, I tapped him with a belly down straight ankle which I guess is my strongest submission at this point despite not liking it at all. A 250-lb blue who crushed me but did not tap me. I did get two good half guard/single leg sweeps and held his side control for about 1 minute which I consider a win lol And I got a roll in with a white belt and tried a bunch of new deep half guard stuff. I tapped him a few times with north south chokes.

So for the longest time I've played a pretty specific type of BJJ. Basically since I got my blue belt like 10 years ago. I'm a tight, pressure passer from top. Don't like to give up position AT ALL for submissions. SO I don't drop back for arm bars or triangles. I don't really attack the arms at all. North south choke is by far my favorite submission from top because I can maintain position while working on it and if I need to bail I'm still in a dominate position. And from bottom I'm a half guard player. My half guard was basically Eddie Bravo basic stuff but it works for me.

I just recently discovered Bernardo Faria and seeing him use these techniques from half guard to become a world champion gave me a lot of confidence in my "game". Everything about his techniques clicks for me. The entire system basically. Past 4 or 5 months I've been working off his DVDs and a lot the basic stuff is starting to click. My half guard/single leg game is working very well on whites and blues. I can sweep most of them, especially in the gi if I can use that single, under the leg lapel control from the dogfight position. I just started playing with Z guard and deep half and like almost everything else, it's not coming real easily to me. I am starting to make the connections between the two. Dogfight, Z guard and deep half all flow together well and it's all just starting to come together. I literally just learned how to use Z guard to enter deep half(or dogfight, which I use to just muscle into) and I still fuck up deep half pretty badly. But I'm getting there. It's an exciting time seeing this all come together into a system for me. Unfortunately NOBODY at my school uses these techniques so I'm all on my own learning them. It's all butterfly to leg spaghetti there. I have zero interest in playing footsie lol

Arnold press
25 x 10 x 5

squat
190 x 3
220 x 3
245 x 10 @ 7 w/ belt
135 x 10 x 5

BJJ Gi class
Half guard/single leg/dogfight lapel control between legs Faria type sweep work. Rolled with good blue, passed him a bunch w/ over under. Had to defend lots of chokes n armbars though. Worked over/under knee bar on a white belt, got it twice so that gives me hope. Working out some kinks w/ arm in north south choke.

What part of your hand specifically hurts? I ask because I had aches in my carpal tunnel and thumb base for quite some time from BJJ, snatches and racking back squats. After playing around with banded front rack stretches for ~5 min the pain is almost completely gone.

The benefit was surprising, I hope it might help you too.

It's my pinkie and ring finger that used to be in a ton of pain when I would grab tight like lapel. It's gotten a lot better recently but nowhere near 100%. I play tug of war with my dog and tried using that hand as much as I could. It was pretty achy the day after. I don't seem to notice it often while rolling though. Sometimes Ill take a grip and just be like "nope" and have to let go, but not often

Back