DOOM is 30 Years Old Today

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
Thought it was worth giving some recognition to what I consider the most important game to me on a personal level. The original DOOM wasn’t the first game I’d ever played, as I had been playing NES and Atari games since the late 1980s, but I still remember the first time I ever played Doom when I was about 9 years old and it blew me away like no game ever before or since. It introduced me (like so many others) to what eventually became known as the FPS genre which was so much more exciting and immersive in my opinion than any other genre of video game, and for 30 years has remained my favourite genre of video games.

My family didn’t have a PC capable of running Doom until Christmas 1995, but throughout 1994 I would play it at various friends’ houses that did have it. Most of my friends only had the Shareware version which contained the first episode, Knee Deep in the Dead, which I must have played through dozens and dozens of times. My oldest brother who’s 12 years older than me came home for the summer of 1995 to stay with our family while doing a summer job in town and he brought his 486 PC which had Doom 1 and 2 on it, and I would sneak on and play it at every opportunity. He also had several WADs (the predecessors to mods) for it that he downloaded off of BBSs using a 14.4kb modem. My favourite was the Aliens total conversion, but there were so many including ones for Beavis and Butthead or Star Wars and Star Trek. Those were the days…

Over the years I’ve watched numerous interviews with either John Romero or John Carmack, and also read the book Masters of Doom which covered the formation of Id software. Later today the two Johns are finally doing an interview together on Twitch for what I believe is pretty much the first time ever to discuss Doom’s development and legacy. I’m going to try to catch it (I’ve never used Twitch before, so hopefully it will get posted to YouTube at some point if I miss it).

In recognition of Doom’s 30th anniversary this morning John Romero also released Sigil II, his unofficial “sixth episode” to the original Doom. Four years ago he released the first Sigil as an unofficial “fifth episode” and I liked it quite a bit so I’m excited to give Sigil II a whirl when I get some time.

Do any of you have any stories about Doom you want to share or what the game means to you on a personal level.

@JBSchroeds @Clippy @Dizzy

doom-slayer.gif

Hell yeah, ripping and tearing for 30 years. Someone installed Doom at the demo PC at our local Sam’s Club. That was my first time seeing it.

Once we got the family computer even my dad was addicted. One of my most played games ever and an all time favorite.

For anyone interested, John Romero and Carmack are doing a reunion stream today on Twitch to celebrate. Definitely going to check that out.

It was my introduction into gaming (Along with Secret of Monkey Island). I was like 6-7 years old and my Dad got an Amiga, and I remember him telling me how there was this game called Doom that everyone was crazy about and he was gonna get it off one of his mates at work who was pirating games. He came home with Doom and Secret of Monkey Island (And like 100 other floppy disks full of all kinds of shit). Both games completely blew my mind, I'd sit there for hours watching him play them (Thankfully my Dad didn't gaf about me seeing violence), and he'd teach me how to play them too. Then when Doom 2 came out my obsession went into overdrive, because I was good enough to play it on my own first time and discover everything by myself

One memory of my childhood was that for one English assignment I basically wrote Doom fanfic, which included a list of all the monsters from Doom outlining all their attacks and describing all the weapons I was using. I really liked my English teacher so my mindset was I wanted to lure him into discovering these awesome games

Last edited:
I remember when I was in maybe fifth or sixth grade they started releasing Doom novels where Doom Guy was given a name, Marine Corporal Flynn Taggart! I had all four, and then the series just fizzled out with no final resolution.

IMG_4619.jpeg

I wish I still had them but I think my Dad must have sold them at the garage sale we had back in like 2001 or 2002. Too bad.

Hilariously, the first time I'd ever play Doom was on the 32x.

I then went ape shit over it for the PC, getting into Warez rooms on AOL to download all versions.

Reactions: Zer
I remember a buddy getting the first episode shareware when it came out. We all huddled around and took turns playing the levels hundreds of times. One of the best gaming experiences ever for me.

Then those massive collects of fan made ones. Had like 400 or so extra levels. Doom dominated back then

Doom was amazing but what I really remember was how Wolfenstein 3D broke so much new ground. Wolfenstein showed that a good FPS could be done. Doom laid on a bunch of atmosphere and levels. Doom was the first that allowed for multiplayer I believe.

Hilariously, the first time I'd ever play Doom was on the 32x.
That had to suck. How did you strafe with no shoulder buttons?
The first time I played it was on SNES.

That had to suck. How did you strafe with no shoulder buttons?
The first time I played it was on SNES.
Didnt even known what that was until I did death matches on pc.

I have a younger cousin and one of the things we'd do when he'd come over is play doom together. I'd put on cheat codes and I'd run around the map and let him shoot the guns. This would have been circa '96 after Ultimate Doom came out on CD and we played on the family Win95 Pacard Bell machine.

Damn… I remember playing it for the first time and being blown away as a little kid

Thought it was worth giving some recognition to what I consider the most important game to me on a personal level. The original DOOM wasn’t the first game I’d ever played, as I had been playing NES and Atari games since the late 1980s, but I still remember the first time I ever played Doom when I was about 9 years old and it blew me away like no game ever before or since. It introduced me (like so many others) to what eventually became known as the FPS genre which was so much more exciting and immersive in my opinion than any other genre of video game, and for 30 years has remained my favourite genre of video games.

My family didn’t have a PC capable of running Doom until Christmas 1995, but throughout 1994 I would play it at various friends’ houses that did have it. Most of my friends only had the Shareware version which contained the first episode, Knee Deep in the Dead, which I must have played through dozens and dozens of times. My oldest brother who’s 12 years older than me came home for the summer of 1995 to stay with our family while doing a summer job in town and he brought his 486 PC which had Doom 1 and 2 on it, and I would sneak on and play it at every opportunity. He also had several WADs (the predecessors to mods) for it that he downloaded off of BBSs using a 14.4kb modem. My favourite was the Aliens total conversion, but there were so many including ones for Beavis and Butthead or Star Wars and Star Trek. Those were the days…

Over the years I’ve watched numerous interviews with either John Romero or John Carmack, and also read the book Masters of Doom which covered the formation of Id software. Later today the two Johns are finally doing an interview together on Twitch for what I believe is pretty much the first time ever to discuss Doom’s development and legacy. I’m going to try to catch it (I’ve never used Twitch before, so hopefully it will get posted to YouTube at some point if I miss it).

In recognition of Doom’s 30th anniversary this morning John Romero also released Sigil II, his unofficial “sixth episode” to the original Doom. Four years ago he released the first Sigil as an unofficial “fifth episode” and I liked it quite a bit so I’m excited to give Sigil II a whirl when I get some time.

Do any of you have any stories about Doom you want to share or what the game means to you on a personal level.

@JBSchroeds @Clippy @Dizzy
DOOM was immersive, deamonic and amazing.
Really not a huge amount changed in the FPS genre if you fastforward 30 years, though I haven’t really been into gaming for a good 15 years now but the template was set and can't ever really be bettered just renovated.

I highly recommend reading Masters of Doom to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back