DOOM is 30 Years Old Today

I highly recommend reading Masters of Doom to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

I read that in the summer of 2016, shortly after Doom (2016) came out. Was a good read, but it’s funny to think that book itself is now 20 years old. When you read it it makes the early id days from Commander Keen all the way to Quake 1 seem like ancient history, even though at that point in time when the book was written id software had literally only been in existence for 12 years.

Reactions: HHJ
I read that in the summer of 2016, shortly after Doom (2016) came out. Was a good read, but it’s funny to think that book itself is now 20 years old. When you read it it makes the early id days from Commander Keen all the way to Quake 1 seem like ancient history, even though at that point in time when the book was written id software had literally only been in existence for 12 years.
At the time the book came out Carmack was still at id working on Doom 3 while Romero was down on his luck making a game for Nokia's Ngage.

I remember the first time I played Doom was when I was a TA in a geometry class. One of my buddies had the game on the small floppy disks and I loaded it up. I don't remember how many times the teacher was telling me to stfu lol

For Console Platers looks like the console version of Sigil 2 will be added to the PS4, Xbox One and Switch ports soon like Sigil 1 was

I know with the first Sigil it was about a 5 month delay for it to be available for PS4 and Xbox One (and Switch?) after Sigil released on PC. Would be nice if it was a bit faster this time.

Wolfenstein was the OG that I fell in love with, but Doom definitely took the carnage to a whole new level.

Absolutely iconic franchise, pioneer of the genre. Staple of any pc owning kid back in the early 90s. The recent showings were fantastic too.

Shares anniversary year with the UFC too!

I remember playing this game on floppy disk at my cousin's house. I think Doom or Diablo 1 was the first game I've ever played. Absolute masterpiece with an underrated soundtrack.

Kind of weird that this was the game that created what we refer to now as “boomer shooter” yet boomers where well into their adult lives when this was released. I guess millennial shooter doesn’t have that same ring to it

Kind of weird that this was the game that created what we refer to now as “boomer shooter” yet boomers where well into their adult lives when this was released
A boomer is basically anyone over 30 according to the internet.

Kind of weird that this was the game that created what we refer to now as “boomer shooter” yet boomers where well into their adult lives when this was released. I guess millennial shooter doesn’t have that same ring to it

A boomer is basically anyone over 30 according to the internet.

“Boomer” has lost all meaning the last few years. “Ok Boomer” or whatever got used against William Shatner ffs, who’s like 92 and far too old to be a Boomer, and it even gets used against people in their late 30s that are millennials for crying out loud.

As for Doom, I’d say it’s too old to be a “Millennial Shooter” too as when it came out even the oldest millennials would have only been like 12-13 years old (I was 8). I’d more say that Doom was made by Gen X, for Gen X. My oldest brother who’s like a year younger than John Carmack was playing Doom on release with all his university buddies. My brother is 50 now and still throws Doom on to play at least a few times a year.

Definitely faster this time..

Holy shit, awesome! Not that I don’t have Doom on my laptop but I’m lazy and I like to just fire up my PS5 for Doom quick and easy a lot of the time. Just downloaded Sigil II to that too.

Definitely faster this time..

Have you tried it yet? I made it to the third level last night and it is kicking my ass, even on Hurt Me Plenty. Sigil 1 was a significant step up in difficulty over Doom and Doom II I thought but this takes it up another notch imo.

I remember the first time I played doom when it first came out. Theres a room in the third level i think,where you pull a switch and the lights go out and a hidden room opens and demons pour out. You have to fight them in darkness and it tripped me the fuck out

Games just didnt do that back then.

I remember the first time I played doom when it first came out. Theres a room in the third level i think,where you pull a switch and the lights go out and a hidden room opens and demons pour out. You have to fight them in darkness and it tripped me the fuck out

Games just didnt do that back then.

Yup, when you pick up the blue keycard about halfway through the third level. That one’s a classic.

Reactions: HHJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back