Dude was rolling with an ankle monitor in class today

So you would rather train gang members that sell drugs.

Like I said to each is own.

I know gyms that do the above.

How about a big pharmacy exec who sells drugs? I bet that is OK, right?

Or a bartender?

It's the law that makes yu believe one is worse than the other. Truth is the difference is one is illegal so those selling it don't have protection and need a means to protect themselves.

The war on drugs is a war on minorities, a war on the poor. You have been fed lies about addiction and violence so they can fill their pockets.

That being said, if it's your gym it's your choice. Personally I view the individual and make the assessment based on their character.

Jack36767's Super Good advice on how to deal with people from troubled backgrounds in an effective manner. That would lead to less conflict and make everyone feel safe and comfy :D

• Be as arbitrary as possible with decisions, discipline and how you treat them
  • Don't give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're terrible people, gang members and drug dealers that can't be helped and are either helpless things that have no chance so why bother or just "haven't worked hard enough" automatically
  • If they test you or give you attitude at first because they don't know you.. immediately freak out, assume they're bad kids like "all young people" today and start screeching at them or just kick them out of your class or establishment
  • Treat people that look a "certain" way very differently,don't associate with them, call them gangbangers that can't be helped.. as you drink your expensive craft beer virtue signaling and showing how "progressive" you are on FB in your gentrified area that did nothing to help the people there just push them out
  • And above all vote against school levies, athletics, library's and parks
Or you could use some common sense and stop being snobs.. among other things. Either way it's funny seeing how people truly feel when discussing this stuff <Moves>

How about a big pharmacy exec who sells drugs? I bet that is OK, right?

Or a bartender?

It's the law that makes yu believe one is worse than the other. Truth is the difference is one is illegal so those selling it don't have protection and need a means to protect themselves.

The war on drugs is a war on minorities, a war on the poor. You have been fed lies about addiction and violence so they can fill their pockets.

That being said, if it's your gym it's your choice. Personally I view the individual and make the assessment based on their character.

You accept gang members in your gym.

You accept drug dealers and recruitment.

Which parts you don't understand?

Let put this way, would you make let them in and meet your wife, parents and your kid kowing why they do for a living?

You accept gang members in your gym.

You accept drug dealers and recruitment.

Which parts you don't understand?

Let put this way, would you make let them in and meet your wife, parents and your kid kowing why they do for a living?

I don't have a gym so it's not an issue I deal with.

Most business except business from any paying customer. If they don't create a problem then I don't see the issue??

Do most gang members or drug dealers you meet directly tell you thst is what they do?? Or you are just making assumptions based off how they look??

I don't view most drug dealers as evil people. It's a business like any other based off supply and demand. You seem to have this view that they are inherently evil or three war on drugs idea they are going to try and get everybody to buy their drugs, maybe standing outside of schools trying to give kids coke for free to get them addicted. In my experience that doesn't happen.

Do you distinguish between different drugs? Say a Marijuana dealer compared to a extasy dealer? Or are they all the same? What if somebody sold alcohol after hours or illegal cigarettes?? Where do you draw he line???

As far as gang members, it's hard to know what that entails, I'm not for having mentally unstable violent people around my family but you don't need to be in a gang to fit that description. Many kids in gangs just don't know better and made a bad choice, bjj could be a means to show them a better way of life and you will deny that to them??? Many think the toughest people are other gangsters, seeing and feeling people who are genuinely tough and can easily kick their ads but also are respectful, humble and law abiding can have a powerful impact. Most gang members are searching for belonging, respect and many are looking for a role model/father figure. I think painting them all as despicable human beings thst deserve no chance to change leaves them with no options.

No to mention I think denying devices to anybody based off how they look is wrong in itself and maybe illegal??

Edit - my phone spell check owns me and I can't be bothered to fix the errors and to answer your question directly I don't let anybody in my house to meet my family until I know them and their character as a person, gang member or CEO

Most business except business from any paying customer. If they don't create a problem then I don't see the issue??

Do most gang members or drug dealers you meet directly tell you thst is what they do?? Or you are just making assumptions based off how they look??

I don't view most drug dealers as evil people. It's a business like any other based off supply and demand. You seem to have this view that they are inherently evil or three war on drugs idea they are going to try and get everybody to buy their drugs, maybe standing outside of schools trying to give kids coke for free to get them addicted. In my experience that doesn't happen.

Do you distinguish between different drugs? Say a Marijuana dealer compared to a extasy dealer? Or are they all the same? What if somebody sold alcohol after hours or illegal cigarettes?? Where do you draw he line???

As far as gang members, it's hard to know what that entails, I'm not for having mentally unstable violent people around my family but you don't need to be in a gang to fit that description. Many kids in gangs just don't know better and made a bad choice, bjj could be a means to show them a better way of life and you will deny that to them??? Many think the toughest people are other gangsters, seeing and feeling people who are genuinely tough and can easily kick their ads but also are respectful, humble and law abiding can have a powerful impact. Most gang members are searching for belonging, respect and many are looking for a role model/father figure. I think painting them all as despicable human beings thst deserve no chance to change leaves them with no options.

No to mention I think denying devices to anybody based off how they look is wrong in itself and maybe illegal??

Edit - my phone spell check owns me and I can't be bothered to fix the errors and to answer your question directly I don't let anybody in my house to meet my family until I know them and their character as a person, gang member or CEO

great post man

I would say most draw the line at violence.

In the last 8 months in my town, 3 kids have been shot in the park/at the beach from gangs, one a 13 year old student of mine, she got shot in the face. I would not want people associated with those gangs training with me, or at a gym I owned.

I train at a gym where many people recreationally smoke marijuana without an mmj card. They would be considered criminals just about anywhere in the country. There are guys who do steroids at my fitness gym. Should anyone at all care that they partake in that? I would say no but our government says they are law breaking criminals.

Very hard to tell when you can only make assumptions, so you really have to fall into two camps, and neither side is wrong. Give the guy a chance vs Better safe than sorry.

All of that being said, I have known cops who were drastically more violent than any gang member I have known.

At first, I thought I probably wouldn't want to roll with someone wearing an ankle monitor because they're fairly large pieces of metal or hard plastic, but then I realized that I've trained with people wearing boots, duty belts, and hard plastic weapons on many occasions and can't remember any injuries that were a result of the equipment.

I've never seen an ankle monitor in a gym, but when I was younger, I trained at a place in Tallahassee (college town) and a lot of the guys were on probation at some point during the time I knew them (fights, DUIs, possession, and theft seemed to be the most common). I don't think any of them were necessarily bad guys, they were just guys who happened to be young and get in trouble for being stupid. I can't remember a time where there was ever a question about whether or not they would be allowed to train.

I used to be at a gym that offered free martial arts classes (mainly Judo but I taught them BJJ as much as I could) to at risk kids in the community. The gym was in a bad neighborhood, and all these kids had rough environments at home. They were very much at risk for getting involved in gangs and other trouble, which is why the county government funded us to run the program.

We had maybe 40 or so kids involved. If any of them were actively in gangs or involved with drugs, they weren't allowed to participate anymore. The whole point of the program was to give these kids a viable alternative to that lifestyle that they otherwise wouldn't have available. It wasn't to just turn a blind eye to it and act like this stuff was no big deal. It was indeed a very big deal in that community, and a lot of their peers at school were involved with drugs and gangs. A lot lost their lives to that too.

We tried to offer a better way. In addition to the martial arts, the kids got free tutoring at the gym so they could excel in school. Scholarships were set up for them to make college a real possibility. Several of the kids went on to college and were pretty successful as far as I could tell.

I'm more than willing to offer an alternative to the drugs and gangs lifestyle. I have been personally involved in doing so in the past (never got paid for any of that either).

But although it's trendy to say we should just completely ignore the "morality" part of the the martial arts, I do not agree. I am not going to be a part of that.

If you don't like it, you'll have to find another gym I guess. As lechien said, seems to be plenty of gyms out there that will turn a blind eye. Just don't expect me to be like that.

I would say most draw the line at violence.

In the last 8 months in my town, 3 kids have been shot in the park/at the beach from gangs, one a 13 year old student of mine, she got shot in the face. I would not want people associated with those gangs training with me, or at a gym I owned.

I train at a gym where many people recreationally smoke marijuana without an mmj card. They would be considered criminals just about anywhere in the country. There are guys who do steroids at my fitness gym. Should anyone at all care that they partake in that? I would say no but our government says they are law breaking criminals.

Very hard to tell when you can only make assumptions, so you really have to fall into two camps, and neither side is wrong. Give the guy a chance vs Better safe than sorry.

All of that being said, I have known cops who were drastically more violent than any gang member I have known.
unless youre gonna do a background check on everyone that walks through the door (not feasible) then you gotta just make judgment calls on who you let in and then hope you dont get screwed for discrimination

unless youre gonna do a background check on everyone that walks through the door (not feasible)

This is a common misconception. It's totally feasible for even small gyms.

For about $5/month, you could run a nearly instant background check (all 50 states + Federal) on every new student you signed up. Check out Spokeo (lots of similar products out there too) if you are interested in learning more.

Gym owners don't do background checks because they simply don't want to, not because it isn't feasible. It is totally feasible.

You really romantize the idea to teach Bjj to gang members that sells and manufactures meths is a great idea.

Instructors that turn a blind eyed saying they cannot check on everyone is usually bs.

Like I said in previous posts, what about taking care of the students that don't break the law to make a living.

I know one Bjj gym that does police check on every new members. .

And guess what. All the dodgy criminal dudes go and train at the other Bjj gym in the same town. That dodgy Bjj instructirs sells dope and meths.

You can be forced to wear an ankle monitor after a first misdemeanor .09 DUI in some places.

People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Lollike I said, interesting to see how people really feel about certain things and people

This is a common misconception. It's totally feasible for even small gyms.

For about $5/month, you could run a nearly instant background check (all 50 states + Federal) on every new student you signed up. Check out Spokeo (lots of similar products out there too) if you are interested in learning more.

Gym owners don't do background checks because they simply don't want to, not because it isn't feasible. It is totally feasible.
Not feasible meaning a business decision based on possible loss of business

Back