Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Passes $600 Million Worldwide; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNE: PART TWO, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Does this mean I have to watch part 1? I tried watching it but it seemed incredibly boring
I d recommend you read the book. Yes you will spoiler yourself about the end but that's not difficult to predict either way and you will understand both movies a lot better and have more fun watching the movie

9/10.. Villeneuve sci-fi mastery continues.. very few recent films have given me the unadulterated chills of that second half.

Dune MESSIAH has to be made.
They will all be made at least through Empoeor Leto2. Children should be fun not as much azfsn of Messiah as there's no real ending its like Dune part 1. And Children is like Dune part 2. If they make 1 they gotta make the other. Emporeor would be crazy as no clue what they would make Leto 2 look like.

So Chani in a movie was used to serve Hollywood and forcing women strong independent and being annoying to the core and the worst partner possible for Paul? Instead as a strong spouse like in books she is 5 year old defiant child.

Is Chani spinoff in the works?

So Chani in a movie was used to serve Hollywood and forcing women strong independent and being annoying to the core and the worst partner possible for Paul? Instead as a strong spouse like in books she is 5 year old defiant child.

Yeah, they were pushing it pretty hard 😆

I can kind of see what they were trying to do using her character to bring out the idea that Paul controling the Fremen and the Jihad is not "good" but it felt pretty half assed, not helped by Zendaya not being that good an actor IMHO, really lacking the kind of presence a lot of the rest of the cast had.

I felt the Fremen generally were the weakest aspect of this film, Chani and her friends behaving like American teenagers whilst the "believers" instantly became such pushovers, nobody really seemed to have the kind of hard nosed grit I'd associate with them from the book or even Lynch's film.

Chalamet was I think much better when he accepted his destiny and went much "bigger", he did at that point genuinely seem a bit more like someone people would follow. Some of the sections in this film as well like the worm ride and the whole Geidi Prime bit were I think better than anything in the first film as well.

To me though it still kind of felt like a lot of the drama and ideas were rather undercooked dispite it being close to 3 hours long. Felt like it was caught between being an action blockbuster and a smarter sci fi but not quite merging the two perfectly with a lot of things introduced but not really exploited fully resulting in a film that felt like it was jumping around a lot.

"Asked about plans for third film, Grode’s enthusiastic tone suggested there could be news soon: “We’re all actively engaged in Dune: Part Three. That’s what I’ll say for right now.”".

In other words, close to being greenlighted.

I just went and saw this tonight! I was the only person in the entire movie theater, which was pretty nice honestly. Felt like I owned a private theater or something.

I'm not familiar with the books and the source material, but that was probably the most epic movie I've seen in theaters. I mean that's about as close to a perfect movie as you can get. Everything just felt huge.

I imagine that's how people felt in the 80s watching Star Wars in the movies. Really cool stuff. Id say the movie earned it's 9/10 rating on IMDB.

I felt the Fremen generally were the weakest aspect of this film, Chani and her friends behaving like American teenagers whilst the "believers" instantly became such pushovers, nobody really seemed to have the kind of hard nosed grit I'd associate with them from the book or even Lynch's film.

This is my thinking and Zendaya highest level of miscast didn't help either.

Last edited:
This is my thinking and Zendaya highest level of miscat didn't help either.
The theme involved in that plot is definitely present in the books, Hebert was a anarchist/libterterian and really the whole plot of the Dune Saga at least as far as God Emperor is that heros and great leaders are bad. Here though it becomes less "heroes are bad" and more "non native heroes are bad" which I spose has a point as well but seems rather undeveloped.

Zendaya I suspect was probably a casting that was needed to get the budget and honestly Chalamet to some degree as well although I think he did definately grow into the role during this film. I think she was fine in the Spiderman films but not really up to this kind of role which just needed more gravitas. Again though I felt the Fremen as a whole were rather lacking in gravitas, they had a bit of it at the end of the 1st film but in this film there either anachronistic modern young people or weak pushovers.

I don't want to be too negative as I felt this film did suceed really well in some respects and was definitely a step up from the first, it did have a very thrilling epic atmosphere to it and the Harkonens were much more effective plus Chalamet playing Paul not just as a generic hero but someone with some with some really edge to him to the degree you start to question who the "good guys" are is above typical blockbuster fare.

Overall though both films to me did feel like they kind of fell inbetween two camps for me, I feel like both of them could either have been 2 hours each and focused on a smaller number of elements OR really pushed out to LOTR lenght epics at 3 1/2 to 4 hours. It feels like a lot of stuff gets introduced like the above issue with Paul, how it relates to Chani, his mother and Stilgar, the politics with the Harkonens, the Emperor and the Bene G's, etc but not really fleshed out dramatically.

I don't think either reaches the level of BR2049 which had a smaller scale story and time to really focus on its drama.

Back