Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
For anyone that's never read the books I always recommend just reading the first then stopping there. It's a good, self contained story that if you're not even aware the sequels exist leaves you satisfied at the end. I never recommend reading past the first, because if you do you're somewhat compelled to keep going. The only real other possible exit is after God Emperor -- I think one could stop after that one without feeling the need to keep going.

But if you read Heretics you're basically pot committed to finish the whole series, because they all end on cliffhangers after that, including the god awful Hunters and Sandworms of Dune. Then, after Kevin Anderson is finished shitting in your mouth, you'll wish you called it a day after God Emperor.

So my advice just read the first -- it's the best anyway.

Update: February 1, 2017

It's Official: Denis Villeneuve to Direct New DUNE Movie from Legendary

Denis-Villeneuve-Dune-Remake-Dragonlord.jpg

Some excellent news for sci-fi fans: director Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario, Prisoners) is officially signed up to direct the upcoming Dune reboot. The news was confirmed this morning by Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, who wrote the original 1965 Dune novel. The news was rumored last December, but not confirmed until this morning.

Legendary Pictures bought the TV and film rights to Dune from the Herbert estate last year, but details about either project are pretty thin. Dune’s last adaptation on film was in 1984, with a title directed by David Lynch and featuring Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides (MacLachlan would later go on to star in Lynch’s Twin Peaks).

The 1984 film was critically panned and lost money at the box office, but the source material has never lost its allure to fans. Having Villeneuve on board to direct the reboot certainly bodes well following the smash-hit that was Arrival. And there’ll be more from the French-Canadian director this year too — he’s behind the Blade Runner reboot starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, out this October.

It’s official: Arrival director Denis Villeneuve is making the upcoming Dune reboot

*Penis swells*

I think I'd still have preferred a tv mini series though.

good news is he can't fuck it up more than the original movie was. that being said, I never read the books and heard they are fantastic.

I need the Sardaukar vs Fremen battle scenes now.

movie or series i dont mind, Villeneuve has done great work in the past he will be good at either format

Dune is cursed. Maybe someone like Christopher Nolan can make a sensible, economical movie out of it. But I think the people that could do so can be counted on one hand, if there are any at all.

Last edited:
This could be good, but I think it needs more than one movie to be true to the book.

I can't see how this can be turned into a film without it becoming a confusing mess. It's just too weird and convoluted.

Maybe someone like Christopher Nolan can make a sensible, economical movie out of it.

Let's be honest here. Do we really want an sensible, economical Dune movie. Or do we want more of this guy?

vlcsnap-2010-05-27-13h41m39s74.png

uO6VRR.gif

What other movies has this guy directed?

Wow... Dune 1 lost money at the box office :eek: Guess I can see it if a bunch of poserz in power put out bad reviewz... but I'm sure it's made up those lossez on DVD sales & streaming rentalz. I would hope so anyway. Remake will surely bring in more interest.

Either actually but if I have to choose I'm with movies which are grander in scale.

Fuck yeah I'm in. Movie Baron was better than SyFy Baron, hope we get more of a dude like that.

Back