Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I chose movies only because I love Villeneuves' films. I'm still skeptical because I didn't like the original one, but I'm also not the biggest fan of Lynch, and his stuff goes over my head like dead scalp flakes flying off my head and into the wind.

You should watch the miniseries.

They got it right.

Cast is shaping up nicely. Probably my most anticipated film after The Irishman.

For the past few weeks, it's been one Dune casting announcement after another: Stellan Skarsgard, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, all joining the already-cast Dave Bautista, Charlotte Rampling, Timothee Chalamet, and Rebecca Ferguson. One can't help but be reminded of the casting announcements for Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War, where - after a certain point - it would've been easier to list the current Hollywood players who weren't going to appear in the film.

Today brings yet another update: according to Variety, Josh Brolin has signed on to appear in Denis Villeneuve's Dune, where he'll be playing "Gurney Halleck, the warmaster for Chalamet’s family and a mentor to his character." (Patrick Stewart played this role in David Lynch's 1984 version of the film...)

I liked the book but the story and setup is so weird I find it hard to see how they can fit it into one film without it being a confusing mess.

Loved Blade Runner 2049 tho, if anyone can do it this guy can I guess.

I think doing it as a film won't work. Lynch's attempt suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked and none of the other versions ever got off the ground. The book is simply too dense with tons of philosophy and abstractions that are an integral part of they story.

It's really a pity that HBO didn't get the rights.

For the past few weeks, it's been one Dune casting announcement after another: Stellan Skarsgard, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, all joining the already-cast Dave Bautista, Charlotte Rampling, Timothee Chalamet, and Rebecca Ferguson. One can't help but be reminded of the casting announcements for Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War, where - after a certain point - it would've been easier to list the current Hollywood players who weren't going to appear in the film.

Today brings yet another update: according to Variety, Josh Brolin has signed on to appear in Denis Villeneuve's Dune, where he'll be playing "Gurney Halleck, the warmaster for Chalamet’s family and a mentor to his character." (Patrick Stewart played this role in David Lynch's 1984 version of the film...)

do we know who is who?

do we know who is who?
We know:
Paul Atreides = Timothee Chalamet
Lady Jessica = Rebecca Ferguson
Chani = Zendaya
Baron Harkonnen = Stellan Skarsgard
Beast Rabban = Dave Bautista
Stilgar = Javier Bardem
Duke Leto Atreides = Oscar Isaac
Reverend Mother Mohiam = Charlotte Rampling
Gurney Halleck = Josh Brolin

We still need the Emperor, Piter de Vries, Dr. Yueh, Thufir Hawat, Princess Irulan, Feyd-Rautha, Alia and others.

And yes, it's going to be split into two parts.

Cautiously optimistic. While I thought the 1984 film was trash I thought the 2000 miniseries was quite well done notwithstanding it’s obvious shoestring budget, so on that basis I believe it is possible to do this “right”. And if anyone can do this, it’s Villeneuve. I haven’t seen all of his films, but 2049 and Sicario we’re both 9/10 imo and so far the casting looks pretty damn good too.

Well, this will prove definitively if Dune can't be made into a good movie.

I thought the 2000 miniseries was terrible even if it was closer to the book, Lynch's film I think has some merit on its own even if its not a great adaptation of the plot, does sum up the atmosphere well for me to. Personally I would say the best way to adapt the original book would be to roughly follow the spilt of the story with in in the two sub sections, first film ending with Paul and Jessica escaping to the Fremen.

Casting wise its really the leads that have be a bit worried as those characters aren't your typical bland audiences avatars, Chalamet seems too much of a pretty boy wuss to me and I wonder how much presence Fergerson will have(I'd have gone with someone like Emily Blunt, Rachael Weisz or Amy Adams). Those seem like they might be "studio castings" to me looking for actors with some recent hype behind them.

Last edited:
We know:
Chani = Zendaya
Stilgar = Javier Bardem

We still need the Emperor, Piter de Vries, Dr. Yueh, Thufir Hawat, Princess Irulan, Feyd-Rautha, Alia and others.

Thanks for the list.
Some great cast members. I'm on the fence about the casting of Chani, Beast Rabban and The Duke. At least Duke and Beast will likely get limited screen time.
Chani is central though.
In my personal imagination, Stilgar is not a Javier Bardem type, but as I love him as an actor (especially after seeing him juxtaposed in NCFOM and Mother!), So I'm optimistic he can meet the role.
In my mind Stilgar would be better served by someone like Viggo Mortensen. Harsh edges and a 1000 yard stare meets the definition of the Fremen, not relatively corpulent Javier. We shall see!

Really hoping for an amazing representation of the intricacies of Holtzmann shield knife combat. Specifically between Fremen and Sardukar. Both the movies and the miniseries fucked that (one due to low budget, the other due to technology constraints) and its such a central tenent of the canon it should be done right. Its the only reason the "noble warrior" concept can exist. otherwise it'd just be all laser shooty shooty herp derp stuff.

I still think sardukar getting beat by some worm riding hippies was bullshit

We know:
Chani = Zendaya
Stilgar = Javier Bardem

I don't like Timothy Cockswallow, otherwise the cast is pretty nice.

I still think sardukar getting beat by some worm riding hippies was bullshit

They aren't hippies, brah. They are toned down Afghan jihadis instructed in Shaolin Kung-Fu by War-Jesus, brah.

Back