Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
yeah, sometimes this dude is casted perfect like in Conan and Aquaman, i liked him also in the epic series Stargate Atlantis, the best Stargate, but this motherfucker is not, and will never be Duncan, NEVER, but anyway the cast is shit

I thought he missed the mark by a pretty big margin as Conan.

Because it sucked? Starting with God Emperor Herbert disappeared up his own ass. Philosophy was a big part of the series right from the start but the characters and world building were also major components. With God Emperor the latter two were pushed aside to make room for multi-chapter navel-gazing nonsense. It doesn't help that the huge time-skip resets most of the cast. The new characters are forgettable (I remember literally zero of them) and the returning characters were altered almost beyond recognition. And the obsession with Duncan Idaho was a turn of events that I could never get onboard with.

It was just a shitty book that completely torpedoed the series. I barely made it through God Emperor and it turned out Heretics was just as bad, except now Herbert had turned into his "perverted old man" phase and made the book an obsession on sex (Heinlein did the same thing, that dude's later novels are virtually unreadable because of it).
Interesting. I've only read the first novel. Does the initial run of Dune-Messiah-Children feel like a complete story, or do you consider this an unfinished epic?

Interesting. I've only read the first novel. Does the initial run of Dune-Messiah-Children feel like a complete story, or do you consider this an unfinished epic?
For the most part Children is a perfectly acceptable stopping point. It doesn't put a bow on every plot point but it felt mostly complete to me. The fact that Herbert could get away with such a big time skip for Emperor without it feeling like you missed a whole ton of important stuff is a good argument that he could have just stopped with Children.

I thought he missed the mark by a pretty big margin as Conan.

he is the perfect cast for Conan, the dude matches the description in the books perfectly, the script was shit thought, it killed the movie but he is the perfect cast for Conan

he is the perfect cast for Conan, the dude matches the description in the books perfectly, the script was shit thought, it killed the movie but he is the perfect cast for Conan
Arnold is and forever will be the perfect cast for Conan
Momoa is ok.

IMG-2061.jpg

IMG-2053.jpg

Big Dave is good stuff. Last time he was in a Villeneuva movie, he did quite well.

The Fremen should be middle eastern. Herbert adapted the geopolitical and religious dynamic in the middle east and set it to a sci-fi setting. Not casting the Fremen as middle eastern is a disservice to the intent of the book.

The Fremen should be middle eastern. Herbert adapted the geopolitical and religious dynamic in the middle east and set it to a sci-fi setting. Not casting the Fremen as middle eastern is a disservice to the intent of the book.
sure its based on their traditions and the names and stuff, but this an universe wide empire, and the fremen are a race that has emigrated from Selusa Secundus when the planet was habitable, also Earth is a planet long gone and forgotten, so they might as well have middle eastern traditions but dont have to be middle eastern

To the surprise of no one:

IMG-2048.jpg

You've seen David Dastmalchian in THE DARK KNIGHT, ANT-MAN, GOTHAM, THE FLASH, and as Coco, one half of the best scene in BLADE RUNNER 2049.

Hopefully there's at least one Lady Jessica nude scene

Halfway through Dune at the moment, just ordered Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Really looking forward to this, love almost everything Villeneuve has done.

Challenge:

Name one current major hollywood actor that is more consistently typecast than Jason Momoa.

Yes I think it very much does, exploring the ideas setup in the original to their conclusion with God Emperor being more an extended coda on that conclusion that you could probably infer from the previous books or get via synopsis.

Quality wise I think Messiah feels slightly rushed relative to the original but it does have an interesting atmosphere to it, Children though I think returns to the same standard as the original albeit more akin to the second half in terms of complexity, no coincidence Hebert spent longer on it than any of the other sequels.

Really I think the books after that are more playing around with the universe he created, his central philosophic point had already been made, probably looking towards setting up some kind of man vs machine confrontation but almost certainly not as simplistic as what we got in the Anderson novels that are waaaaaaaay below Heberts level.

Last edited:
Jews, I think?
They are Budislamics, specifically the Zensunni branch. But to say they are a specific current ethnic group is sort of silly since Dune takes place some 20k years in the future. In the books the religion was a fusion of Sunni Islam and Zen Buddhism so they could plausibly be any mix of north african, middle eastern, and east asian.

Back