News Dustin Poirier contemplating retirement after UFC 242 loss

Should Dustin Poirier retire?

• Total voters
In a selfish way I want him to keep fighting because he always puts on a good show... But really retiring is probably the best option for him if he's all set financially. He's made it to the top and been knocked back down a few times, this run was the best he's ever put together, took out some big names, but when it comes to the very best he's not there.

Thing is Dustin doesn't want to fight for the sake of it like a Cowboy for example, Dustin's goal always was to be Champ but unfortunately for him the man standing in his way was Khabib and he realises as long as Khabib is still there his goal will not be accomplished so then he's either fighting for a paycheck like everyone else or just retires knowing his dream cannot come ttue.
Gut feeling if Khabib reaches 30-0 he will retire and then go into politics. So 2 more years...

Dude can take a whole year off before he comes to a decision. He's still on the right side of 30. Also, the landscape changes so quick in so many weird ways, he might be champ in 8 months, for all we know. Like Dana said, if you had told anyone a while back that Jorge vs Nate will main event MSG... Not to mention, Tony is old, Khabib says he wants out at 30-0 and Conor now fights once every 40th full moon, so what's left at the top who Dustin couldn't deal with?

Plus, after a camp like this, his grappling skills must've improved a lot (not for nothing: popularity as well), so it would be a bummer to quit now.

I mean, unless he's got some injuries or brain signs he's worried about, losing to an undefeated champion doesn't seem like the right context on which to retire on.

Must be tough to realize he’ll never beat Khabib, no matter how hard he trains.

Khabib takes souls!

Big fan of Poirier though, it’d be a shame because he has some good fighting years left.

Perhaps he’ll realize he can switch weight classes? I mean he just beat Max right? He can change diet/lifestyle for a year, and I’m sure Max would want to run that back for sure (in his weight class) Dana would probably give him immediate title shot if demanded it, cuz that rematch would headline a PPV, and they can promote the hell out of it.

Gut feeling if Khabib reaches 30-0 he will retire and then go into politics. So 2 more years...
His goal is 30-0. He feels like nobody in MMA will reach that record for a long time. That will be his legacy. If he had his way his next fight is Tony ferguson and GSP. Again, thats if he had his way. It wont be GSP so likely a Conor rematch unfortunately.

He feels like he cant beat Khabib, but wait till Dana dangles those red panties in front of him. That's a good fight and we all know it

MMA is like this I think,
Dustin felt the gap between him and Khabib and it has to have felt insurmountable
Yeah, I see Khabibs style is a hybrid of so many different styles of wrestling it is quite impressive. Khabibs style of wrestling compared to GSPs amazing timing on take downs and your basic folkstyle (US wrestling), freestyle, and Greco-Roman Khabib doesnt shoot for the take down at a traditional range he almost is so close to his opponent sprawling isnt even an option. Thats why when I heard people saying Dustin should just throw a flying knee like Jorge did to Askren I laughed. Askrens take down is obvious from many feet away. Khabib closes distance with pressure and almost shoots for your ankles and climbs you like a tree.

At least Dustin got an invite to the Kumite.
giphy.gif
and saw Khabib there...
bloodsport_still.jpg

His goal is 30-0. He feels like nobody in MMA will reach that record for a long time. That will be his legacy. If he had his way his next fight is Tony ferguson and GSP. Again, thats if he had his way. It wont be GSP so likely a Conor rematch unfortunately.
I want Tony and then if he wins he should be able to call his shot but if Dana is going to block GSP to be petty. I want to see Khabib vs Gaethje. Only if Gaethje keeps his streak alive. Wouldn't mind Conor vs Gaethje for a TS against the winner of Khabib vs Tony. I don't want to see Conor skip the line but I'm weirdly okay with him getting a shot if he takes out an in form Gaethje.

Not that Cowboy can't get it done. I can't just count out Dad Cerrone.

Khabib ruins fighters. Only one guy went on to be successful after fighting him, RDA. And that is because RDA is an exceptional fighter himself.

Yeah, I see Khabibs style is a hybrid of so many different styles of wrestling it is quite impressive. Khabibs style of wrestling compared to GSPs amazing timing on take downs and your basic folkstyle (US wrestling), freestyle, and Greco-Roman Khabib doesnt shoot for the take down at a traditional range he almost is so close to his opponent sprawling isnt even an option. Thats why when I heard people saying Dustin should just throw a flying knee like Jorge did to Askren I laughed. Askrens take down is obvious from many feet away. Khabib closes distance with pressure and almost shoots for your ankles and climbs you like a tree.
Back opponent up to cage take down opponent methodically dismantle him. If they land a punch snap into defensive mode see all the strikes coming avoid them. Then reset and repeat. His control/positioning makes me think even Tony might not offer Khabib as much of a test as I would want to see. But recency bias is in full effect right now.

Posted on his Instagram about half an hour ago. Obviously still very emotional after the loss,hopefully after some time he realises he's still more than capable of making another run at the title.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/dustinpoirier/

"Thank you guys for the support, it means a lot to me. If I choose to fight again, I'll be back strong. If not, I''ll see what God has in store for me. Thank you."

Dustin-Poirier-2-696x399.png
Dustin has been in some wars, been KOed a few times. If anything he might be mentally done as a contender. But he's definitely talking on emotion. He'll need some time off to see if he still gets the pitch. Even if he doesn't fight, I see him staying heavily involved in the sport.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, it would be 100% okay if he retired. He's been in a lot of wars and fought a long time. He is doing a lot of stuttering and re-speaking, and I think this is around the right time for him to stop, because he's such a positive force in MMA and his community. I think he could be a good coach, or gym owner/manager. He may be good for China/SEAsia seminar circuits.

Back opponent up to cage take down opponent methodically dismantle him. If they land a punch snap into defensive mode see all the strikes coming avoid them. Then reset and repeat.
I think thats why Tony Ferguson is so unique because ALL Khabibs opponents get taken down and try to get back up.

What happens when a guy like Tony embraces the take down and has elbows and strikes from the bottom mixed up with his scrambles/submissions.

Thats why that fight needs to happen. Tony gives zero fucks about where the fight goes. I think if he can get Khabib in his guard he can throw those hideous razor blade elbows

Is that an "American" thing?

What God has in store for you?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back